Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Woman held for 'trying to sell moon rock'

Still Waters

An American woman is being questioned in California for allegedly trying to sell a moon rock for $1.7m (£1.05m).

The woman, whose identity has not been revealed, was held in a sting operation when she showed the rock to a Nasa investigator in Lake Elsinore.

Moon rocks are considered national treasure in the United States and their sale is illegal.

The rock was recovered but Nasa investigators have not yet determined whether it is genuine.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• The Caspian Hare

• Paracelse

• Waspie_Dwarf

• Cryptozological Mascot

I don't see why a person shouldn't be able to buy and sell a moon rock.

Wait, so a piece of the moon, which is not owned by the USA is a US national treasure?

Whats to stop us Brits declaring that the sale of American beers is illegal as all beer is a national treasure?

Its absurd.

Kind of makes you wonder why the government is so worried that its citizens have pieces of the moon???????

I smell a conspiracy :yes:

Wait, so a piece of the moon, which is not owned by the USA is a US national treasure?[/q

Whats to stop us Brits declaring that the sale of American beers is illegal as all beer is a national treasure?

Its absurd.

Your analogy is rather odd. It is already illegal to sell American beers in the UK IF THEY ARE STOLEN.

The moon may not be owned by the US, but the rock is (unless this woman retrieved this rock from the moon herself, which would seem a little unlikely). If the rock is genuine then it is almost certainly stolen. If it isn't genuine then fraud is involved. Either way it seems likely that a criminal act is involved here.

What is absurd about arresting criminals?

Kind of makes you wonder why the government is so worried that its citizens have pieces of the moon???????

I smell a conspiracy

Maybe because it is probably government property.

I smell some very silly posts.

Maybe because it is probably government property.

I smell some very silly posts.

Damn you're no fun LOL

The moon may not be owned by the US, but the rock is (unless this woman retrieved this rock from the moon herself, which would seem a little unlikely). If the rock is genuine then it is almost certainly stolen. If it isn't genuine then fraud is involved. Either way it seems likely that a criminal act is involved here.

If they were actually stolen or fraudulent, then yes a crime has been committed.

However according to the article:

Many hundreds of kilograms of rock were collected from Nasa missions to the Moon, mainly during the Apollo 15, 16 and 17 missions.

Hundreds were handed out as gifts to foreign nations and US states, and scores of those remain unaccounted for.

So it is not inconceivable that one might end up in private hands over the years, yet their sale is illegal.

The moon may not be owned by the US

But, but, we put our FLAG in it! That's like international "dibs" right?

I didn't realize moon rocks thieves were afoot in my city.

But, but, we put our FLAG in it! That's like international "dibs" right?

Everyone knows the only real way to call dibs on something like the moon is to build a fort to put the flag on top of.

Edited by Wickian

I don't see why a person shouldn't be able to buy and sell a moon rock.

It's stolen property ????

It's stolen property ????

As I said earlier... this one might be, but selling any moon rock is apparently against the law.

As I said earlier... this one might be, but selling any moon rock is apparently against the law.

it's against the law to sell moon rock in US . even though the moon rock may not be property of US . this is same as it's illegal to sell drugs in US even though it's not belong to US . you can sell it in other country which allow it.

I wonder how the buyer know whether the moon rock is real or fake? how to test ? you can easily create a fake one using rock found in earth

the other ones are fake therefore it's fraud....

Edited by Paracelse

the other ones are fake therefore it's fraud....

It says in the article that some were given out as gifts, therefore genuine and not stolen. This one may be one of the rocks handed to foreign dignitaries, or it may be one of the stolen ones. Unless they marked each rock to make them identifiable I doubt anyone will know, apart from the seller.

I don't see why it should be illegal to sell these, as long as they aren't stolen and they have no scientific value. If they had then I'm sure they wouldn't have given them away.

If it can be "given away", then all the seller needs to do is form a Non-profit organization, then give the rock away for a "donation", then close down the non-profit. I've seen several pastors/leaders of failed churches do the same thing with the church property. They give away the property, but recieve a donation in return. Then close down the church and hopefully give the money away to charity. (Sometimes they don't and instead live off the money for years.)

Hello since when does the moon belong to anybody???I don´t even believe someone has landet on it!!

Hello since when does the moon belong to anybody???I don´t even believe someone has landet on it!!

You do believe that we have launched satellites into space yes? And that there are currently humans up there floating around?

So, I don't think anyone has mentioned this thus far but I think it's important to ask...um, who exactly would ever even consider buying a damned rock for over a million dollars?

I think the U.S government is collecting these moon rocks for the purpose of creating an army of evolved pokemon like for example wigglytuff and clefable.They cleverly mask the obvious connection by using the word "rock" rather than "stone".

inglip.gif

So, I don't think anyone has mentioned this thus far but I think it's important to ask...um, who exactly would ever even consider buying a damned rock for over a million dollars?

Some people attempted to buy the Brooklyn bridge or the Eiffel tower.. so why not a piece of rock.. I believe there were attempt to still and sell the rock of Mecca. What's the difference?