Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Dragons

Elric

dragonz are real? mellow.gif

No. Never were - at least in the sense that there were never a)flying serpent things or B) flying, flire-breathing serpent things. A critter like that would be pretty unlikely to die off an go extinct if you think about it. It could eat whatever it wanted, whenever it wanted, guaranteeing its survival.

That and the fact that there is nowhere in the world any modern corollary to fire-breathing in the animal kingdom. Nothing like it at all. Such an adaptation would be beneficial if it ever existed and would have been passed along.

In my opinion, humans back then fused their greatest fear with something ridiculous. Humans always feared what flys because its the only realm in which they cant naturally be. Humans can swim, and humans can walk. But we have no natural way to fly.

Then this where I just start to make assumptions >_> : Humans found dinosaur skeletons, which were similar to skeletons of reptiles in present times, and so they applied wings to their concept, and VIOLAH!

Dragons? really when you think about it, Dragon is just a term for any large snake or lizard. Now if you mean fire breathing, flying city destroying dragons then no.

Dragons? really when you think about it, Dragon is just a term for any large snake or lizard. Now if you mean fire breathing, flying city destroying dragons then no.

I've never heard someone call a Crocodile/Alligator a dragon... you must've been around someone who saw a Komodo.

It's all pretty much been covered, but I would like to say: I hope so.

I've never heard someone call a Crocodile/Alligator a dragon... you must've been around someone who saw a Komodo.

From what I understand, a few centuries ago any large and undefined animal was referred to as a "dragon".

For all we know, the concept of a dragon originated back when there was some sort of war and one side ran out of ammo for their catapult and found a dead crocodile or big fish, set it on fire and launched it at their enemy and there you go..a flying dragon breathing fire.

This may sound stupid ('cause it is, actually) but even though my rational and logical mid says otherwise, there has always been a part of me that thinks dragons could have been a reality on this world. But..since there is no proof then there is no point wishing otherwise.

Do you think their is a possibility that dragons existed long ago beside dinosaurs and In the midevil times?

I think they perhaps did. Not in a physical sense, but in the recesses of the human psyche. If enough people believe in something so much as to feel fear of it, then it's obviously real ;) Basically they were a force of nature, so although not corporeal (or "real" as such) they certainly helped explain a lot of the negative aspects of nature around us. Summat like that anyway.

Aren't many Biblical figures actually Dragons, or something...? ;)

There was someone here a few years ago kept mentioning that the word dragon did indeed have somehting to do with the word angel, but i really can't remember the ins and outs of it, or whether there was any stock in that. I'm sure they could give a good explanation. Failing that if the long-dead threads are still a part of this forum then you might be able to find the info.

I think the Eastern dragon might be based on the Buru cryptid, they show the same kind of teeth : flattened teeth and two pairs of fangs, which is quite odd for a reptilian... As for the Western dragon, don't know why it has wings, maybe it is a just a composite or based on snakes shedding. Have you ever heard about the Gbahali of Africa, looks dragonesque too :

http://cryptidchronicles.tumblr.com/post/28475161064/on-the-track-of-the-gbahali

Though i don't share the idea that it is crocodilian by affinity.

Considering we still have "living fossils" among us today, way back when there may have been some dwindling survivors from the Mesozoic era. Take the Loch Ness Monster, for example. IF we can assume it exists, there has been widespread speculation that it is a relative of the plesiosaur. One such creature could easily have been mistaken as a mythical monster. Or, as pretty much everyone has suggested, the concept may have stemmed from exceptionally large reptiles and the creative capabilities of the human imagination.

There was a very entertaining special on Discovery Channel several years ago, where they had a fictionalized "discovery" of the frozen carcass of a dragon, and it basically provides various hyphotheses as to how these creatures may have existed, even going into the physiological conditions that could have allowed them to breathe fire. If anyone is interested, I suggest looking it up. It's called "Dragons: a fantasy made real."

Nope would have been to cold. The little ice age was going on in that time period.

Umm.. Errr.. Just simple answer.. For this topic, I guess... How creative imaginary people who life in the past long time ago then people who life in this time? I don't think ancient peoples who draw the dragon or phisicly dragon it's too smart for draw it in detail with their own Imagination then people in this time, except they see by their own eye... So the answer you can guess all...

• 3 months later...

Are Dragons Real? Facts About Dragons

Evidence of dragons?

It's not clear when or where stories of dragons first emerged, but the huge, flying serpents were described by the ancient Greeks and Sumerians. The belief in dragons was based not just in legend but also in hard evidence — or so it seemed. For millennia no one knew what to make of the giant bones that were occasionally unearthed around the globe, and dragons seemed a logical choice for people who had no knowledge of dinosaurs.

There were also the occasional eyewitness accounts from sailors returning from Indonesia who reported encountering dragons — Komodo dragons, a type of monitor lizard — which can be aggressive, deadly, and reach 10 feet in length. Western scientists verified their existence around 1910, but rumors and stories of these fearsome beasts circulated long before that. [Countdown: Top 10 Beasts and Dragons: How Reality Made Myth]

In medieval times, most people who heard anything about dragons knew them from the Bible, and it's likely that most Christians at the time believed in the literal existence of dragons. After all, Leviathan — the massive monster described in detail in the Book of Job, chapter 41 — seems to describe a dragon in detail:

more: http://www.livescience.com/25559-dragons.html