Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 1
Karlis

The world's largest solar-powered boat

6 posts in this topic

The idea of Swiss businessman and electrical engineer Raphael Domjan, who is sailing the boat without the need for sails or pollution-producing diesel engine chewing non-renewable fuel.Pushing it along on its 50,000km world-first voyage is a solar photovoltaic surface area of 537sq m, with 38,000 solar cells. arrow3.gifRead more...

An interesting looking thing, but i think it shows the limitations of current solar technology; all that area of solar panels for an average speed of just 7.5 knots (which, despite what he says, the average merchant ship can go a bit faster than that). Still, always glad to see some willingness to experiment. It might be practical for where speed isn't so important.

I do find amusing, incidentally, how the journalist talks about "without the need for sails or pollution-producing diesel engine chewing non-renewable fuel", when i expect very much that he got in his car and drove to the office that morning, and then got in his car and drove to the shopping mall, and then got in his car and ....

Anyway, personally, i'd like to see a return to sail technology, taking advantage of modern automation and so on; now there's a renewable resource.

This is awesome! I want one!

An interesting looking thing, but i think it shows the limitations of current solar technology; all that area of solar panels for an average speed of just 7.5 knots (which, despite what he says, the average merchant ship can go a bit faster than that). Still, always glad to see some willingness to experiment. It might be practical for where speed isn't so important.

I do find amusing, incidentally, how the journalist talks about "without the need for sails or pollution-producing diesel engine chewing non-renewable fuel", when i expect very much that he got in his car and drove to the office that morning, and then got in his car and drove to the shopping mall, and then got in his car and ....

Anyway, personally, i'd like to see a return to sail technology, taking advantage of modern automation and so on; now there's a renewable resource.

7.5 knots for free are better than 30 knots guzzling 50 gallons per hour in my book. I would even go into drift at night. And with most sail yachts you are quite happy when you get an etmal of 180 miles. So I would say two thumbs up because at least you are independent of wind directions.

Now that's freedom! You took my comment though @bulveye I was gonna say I wan one too :)

Like 747 said, shows the limits........not very deck friendly. How you sposed to fish? And do the "deck" thing. Glad someone is trying though, the answers will come. Sail around the world for free, course not having to by diesel would take a while to defray the costs of all those panels. And unfortunately, doubt it could take the beating that the ocean can sometimes give. Still.......awesome concept.