Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Blackbeard's 'anchor' retrieved off US coast

Still Waters

An anchor from what is said to be the wreck of notorious English pirate Blackbeard's flagship has been retrieved off North Carolina's coast, US archaeologists say.

The massive anchor - weighing more than 1,000 kg (2,200lb) - is one of the largest artefacts on what is believed to be the Queen Anne's Revenge ship.

The anchor will now be put in a museum.

The flagship is thought to have sunk in 1718, five months after Blackbeard was killed by British sailors.

The US archaeologists said they had first planned to lift a bigger anchor but realised it was too well-attached to other items in the ballast pile.

They said that divers would continue to work next week and then decide how to proceed to retrieve other artefacts from the ship.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• rashore

• Wolfpower

• Blues Girl

• Keymaker

Well, that's quite a convenient find as the new installement of Pirates of the Carribean is currently in theatres.

But it's a very cool find if it's in fact true.

Edward Teach was actually a pseudonym, nobody knows Blackbeard's actual name, that's why historians can't dig up anything on his days prior to pirating. If this is true, it's insanely cool...but their timing is perfect.

Well that's nifty.

Wish I had the money to cruise around in the sun and look for sunken treasure/artifacts. My kinda job. A little kicker from the movie industry wouldn't bother me either.

I though His real name was Edward Teach and he was born in November 22 or something like that...I think he died at 37. His last battle was in 21 Nov 68, so just a day before he turned 38...Ocracoke Island it was in North Carolina

LOl apparently he used to put matches and flares or something into his famous blach beard and hair, the smoke made him looked like a devil or something, oh and some red ribbons two. Fancy some make-up? :D It is said that the Royal Government or whatever Charl Eden (I think) and blackbeard where friends so he didn't send anyone out to stop him, but war broke out anyway...

Ok that all ama gonna say, oh and he had 13 wives apparently and over 5 houses in differen't part of the Atlantic and Equator...

Edit* But it sure is a good timing :D

So shaayln hes actual name is not Edward Teach? I think he is just some poor urchin who ran off or something and got adopted/kidnapped by pirates, or his father was one and he took little Edward with him :P A little father and soon outing? Sink some ships, behead some people. Perfect son!

Edited by Wolfpower

That thing is HUGE. Perfect timing as already said. :innocent: Would be nice if it could be confirmed.

to also ad edward teach was not a mean man built on killing he worked off of fear it is said he touk good care of crew and only killed one man and was piriting at 9

Or rather a hundred if we count all those which have been sanked...I wonder if there was a ship called Black Pearl...?

Nah, there's just four anchors in that spot. One big grappling hook too. They've been bringing up artifacts from the wreckage for a while now, this is just the first anchor that's been pulled up.

And yes, there is a Black Pearl. It's a ship that gives historical cruses out of New York. It sails the lower Niagara River.

Hmmm but I mean like an oldfashoined one...Not one of these new ones, and not from this century

Not sure how old that Black Pearl is...

Well, there was a Black Pearl captained by Henry Morgan in the 1600's. That ship was sunk in battle.. I don't think it's remains have been found though.

LOl apparently he used to put matches and flares or something into his famous blach beard and hair, the smoke made him looked like a devil or something, oh and some red ribbons two. Fancy some make-up? :D It is said that the Royal Government or whatever Charl Eden (I think) and blackbeard where friends so he didn't send anyone out to stop him, but war broke out anyway...

He put Black Powder in his beard and burned it. And he served as a Privateer to England during Queen Annes War, so no English ships would have gotten in his way.

Hmmm makes sense then I s'pose. I guess that where the carribean came from in the first place...I never really thought about it.

So if the ship has been sunked and never found how do they know it really exsisted or if it even had that name?

I think carribean is based on more then just blackbeard....

Well, Blackbeards ship was not the Black Pearl... It was the Queen Annes Revenge. At least his main one was. It was a french ship that he captured and renamed, and there is record of it's going down. That's why they had an idea of where it sunk. That's the ship the anchor is being raised from.

Henry Morgans ship the Black Pearl.. I'm not sure what happened to it, if it was sunk or retired or what. Henry himself retired and died a sick old man in Jamaica, and his grave was lost to the sea in an earthquake shortly before 1700.

The Disney movies are based off a ride. Yep, the ride came first, then the first movie, then the ride was revamped to reflect the movie.

hmmmmm s'pose

hmmmmm s'pose

• 3 weeks later...

How could they even prove if this is his anchor?

That's what I am wondering

That's what I am wondering

Well, they have been harvesting artifacts from the wreckage of the Queen Annes Revenge for about 15 years. Anchor 2 is the 2200 lb one, and that one is listed as being smack dab in the middle of the wreckage. So it stands to reason that the anchor is indeed from the Queen Annes Revenge.

But does the wreckage have the name of the ship on it? Or some way of concretely identifying it as the Queen Annes Revenge?

But does the wreckage have the name of the ship on it? Or some way of concretely identifying it as the Queen Annes Revenge?

There's British records of where/when it went down. Bunch of other historical research too.

Here's a site about it.

Wow. I had no idea they still had records going back that far. Pretty cool!