Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is a Christian?

Paranoid Android

Well, it seems in recent times that some of us have been having a discussion as to what exactly makes a person a Christian. I've been thinking about this and would like to hear some opinions. And when I ask this question, I'm not looking for a one sentence reply like "A person who follows Christ". That's obvious. What I am looking at is what people see as the minimum requirements of beliefs and actions. After all, the Westboro Baptist Church claim that they are following Christ, and these guys see it as a requirement for people to hate gays, shun family members, and thank God for AIDS and dead soldiers.

Of course, most Christians look at this group and say that they aren't "real Christians". So if we were to describe in detail the requirements for being a "Christian", what would be the core ideas that are absolutely necessary for a person to profess to be Christian?

Thanks for responding :tu:

~ Regards, PA

Simple and short... christian are people who attack people who enjoy their life or are happy.

Christian are miserable and jealous of everything normal people do, christian are respecter's of other cultures and the bible is basically the same as the korean (muslim or whatever the name of that religion is). Christian do not know how to smile, they are good at faking smiles as they have to act all the time to seem like they enjoy life. Christian brainwash people.

Christian are the true satanic cult, Christian are mad and... do I dare say it? They are dangerous to others. If you see a christian, run for your lifes, for they will hunt you and they will do it for the sake of their "gods".

So all in all, you just need to be plain evil and able to act like a kind person and then your christian.

• Replies 255
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• Paranoid Android

• shadowhive

• Mr Walker

Simple and short... christian are people who attack people who enjoy their life or are happy.

Christian are miserable and jealous of everything normal people do, christian are respecter's of other cultures and the bible is basically the same as the korean (muslim or whatever the name of that religion is). Christian do not know how to smile, they are good at faking smiles as they have to act all the time to seem like they enjoy life. Christian brainwash people.

Christian are the true satanic cult, Christian are mad and... do I dare say it? They are dangerous to others. If you see a christian, run for your lifes, for they will hunt you and they will do it for the sake of their "gods".

So all in all, you just need to be plain evil and able to act like a kind person and then your christian.

Wow... Which Christians are you meeting? Some Christians no doubt match your description - most don't.

P.S. The religion that follows the Koran is Islam. A quick google search would have given you that :angry:

Wow... Which Christians are you meeting? Some Christians no doubt match your description - most don't.

I wouldn't say most but I agree with you that some Christians to not fit that mold.

This isn't Spain in the 1500's. Are you kidding me here?

I wouldn't say most but I agree with you that some Christians to not fit that mold.

You really think the majority of Christians are evil? :hmm: This religion that teaches us to love one another as ourself?

Wow! 'Set the Fallen'' don't mince your words! LOL! Um.... did you get a bit carried away here? :unsure:

I have to disagree with you there. Yes, there are some who claim to be Christians who look and act like they've been sucking lemons all day. You never see them crack a smile or appear happy, instead they appear miserable. But there are people out there (myself included) who are happy, who love a good joke, and who do not push their beliefs down another person's throat. I'm so sorry that you've only had contact with the people who are such human hemorrhoids.

You really think the majority of Christians are evil? :hmm: This religion that teaches us to love one another as ourself?

I never said that I don't agree that they are all what they preach.

Hi Set the Fallen,

Your opinion is noted. However, considering that your opinion compares the Bible to something you know little about - you don't seem to know the difference between a koran and a korean, or even the religion of Islam to which Muslims belong - I can't say as I find your opinion too convincing.

I mean, how can you say the Bible is just like the Koran if you don't seem to know what the Koran even is, let alone what it contains.

Just a thought,

~ Regards,

~~~ ... what exactly makes a person a Christian. ... the minimum requirements of beliefs and actions.

... So if we were to describe in detail the requirements for being a "Christian", what would be the core ideas that are absolutely necessary for a person to profess to be Christian?

~ Regards, PA

Scriptural answer, PA? As I see it, to be a Christian, one must be "conceived a second time"; this time by the imperishable, spirit seed/sperm of God's Holy Spirit, aka the Spirit of Christ. At that point a person becomes a "new being" (spiritually speaking). That person then literally has the Spirit of Christ indwelling within their mind, and Christ dwells within that newly-conceived Christian.

From that point onward, the Christian relies on Christ to live and exhibit the character of Christ in their life.

It is Jesus who begins the new life in a Christian, and gradually, progressively "grows" the Christian into a "new Christ-like mould" -- Eventually Christ will "perfect" the transformation.

Thoughts,

Karlis

Dear all

A Questions

Are mormans christians?

Dear all

A Questions

Are mormans christians?

If they follow Christ.. then yes

P.S. The religion that follows the Koran is Islam. A quick google search would have given you that :angry:

Religion is always what pains people... religion is not for people, truth or anything, the same is behind all religion, to destroy anyones rights as living beings.

Most do mach this decription (also, newly it has come forth that they rape people and show it beneath the table, and silence it in this day and age. They force people to forgive the raper and live with being raped). http://www.nordlys.no/nyheter/article5558656.ece

Happens in more than one country, christian people is not my kind of people luckily (most of them are crazy in one way or another, and I do not trust someone offering a cookie when they might as well be raping their kids).

I do not believe in people that smile all the time, no one is THAT happy about life.

If they crie and curse a little, I know they are not on the edge, but I do not like those that always smile... Christian people cursing and crying I accept as living human beings.

This isn't Spain in the 1500's. Are you kidding me here?

No I am not.

Believe me, the year does not mater for christianity. Specially not rome, were priest are known to kill people doing exorcism because they are not allowed to be free humans... (I know some true horror stories from this day and age that would shock normal living humans)

Yes, just because of that.

A good example is were they force someone to forgive people raping them... http://www.nordlys.no/nyheter/article5558656.ece

(could go into many other subjects, but am not going to use the heavy shots here)

Wow! 'Set the Fallen'' don't mince your words! LOL! Um.... did you get a bit carried away here? :unsure:

Not at all, though I must say I've never been a christian fan, and that might get me a little carried away, though I am not to carried away as I do not really care. I just share my opinion as simply as possible without being to cold and indecent about it (by going into this subject to openly as to why I totally hate christian and all religions, I simply say what I think they are, as most of their actions seem to go publically in this way, so it seems to be a christian you have to at least be evil or able to act damn good).

I have to disagree with you there. Yes, there are some who claim to be Christians who look and act like they've been sucking lemons all day. You never see them crack a smile or appear happy, instead they appear miserable. But there are people out there (myself included) who are happy, who love a good joke, and who do not push their beliefs down another person's throat. I'm so sorry that you've only had contact with the people who are such human hemorrhoids.

it's just what I know of christianity, no need to disagree, there is pleanty of profs on how christian people are.

Some among any humans, most of them among christians (because there they can "repent" their sins when they feel like it).

It's nothing to be sorry about, I've just never met a kind christian (honestly). Okay, acting anyone can do before killing the cat in the shadows, but what one are and how one act is different things.

There are only a truly few handfulls that ARE kind AND christian, that I know as fact, and usually they die and are neglected by their own religion.

Hi Set the Fallen,

Your opinion is noted. However, considering that your opinion compares the Bible to something you know little about - you don't seem to know the difference between a koran and a korean, or even the religion of Islam to which Muslims belong - I can't say as I find your opinion too convincing.

I mean, how can you say the Bible is just like the Koran if you don't seem to know what the Koran even is, let alone what it contains.

Just a thought,

~ Regards,

I do not know little about it, I just do not care to say it right (as I see all religion as the same humbug of nothingness).

Honestly all religion is the same bull, bla,bla, bla, dies and go to hell/sheol/tartarus/gehenna/(islam has no hell so)/hel/tophet -and whatever damn names there are for hell...

The basic of a religion is "hate they who can think and act on their own. Hate the one who does not believe in me, because they know nothing worth knowing in this world. I am true. Blasphemy should die", so I will just say they are the same. (blasphmy part may or may not be removed from the bible and replaced with love).

Just some insight from my view.

Yes so many are like this.. but not all .. Living over here in N.Ireland, a lot of Catholics and Protestants wouldn't care to try and convert anyone

I think the problem is - When you get smaller groups of Christians that push at others to convert.. and condemn what they feel are sinners and a few over time that have killed and hurt in gods name ..this seems to lay a bigger impact than the millions that don't care to do any of that

You take IE - A group of MUFC supporters ( Manchester United Football Club)...And a good lot of them love to go along and cheer on their fav team.........then you get a handful of MUFC supporters that kick up riots..and people get hurt all the time

So what does that do??? It puts a huge blemish all over the MUFC name....When you hear of an Man United match - you think - god help us if they lose... riots galore....This will be because of the handful of MUFC supporters that caused a large impact., therefore has seriously flocked it up for the rest of the supporters who don't cause riots..........( excuse the french)

Religion is always what pains people... religion is not for people, truth or anything, the same is behind all religion, to destroy anyones rights as living beings.

Most do mach this decription (also, newly it has come forth that they rape people and show it beneath the table, and silence it in this day and age. They force people to forgive the raper and live with being raped). http://www.nordlys.no/nyheter/article5558656.ece

Happens in more than one country, christian people is not my kind of people luckily (most of them are crazy in one way or another, and I do not trust someone offering a cookie when they might as well be raping their kids).

What do you see as people's rights as human beings? We need to establish that first and foremost. Then, how do you think religion destroys these rights.

Interesting link. Shame it has absolutely nothing to do with Christians suggesting victims forgive their attackers. Nice try with the Norwegian article though.

I'm hoping you have some evidence for your blanket statement that most Christians are crazy. And I mean evidence that actually backs it up this time.

Yes, just because of that.

A good example is were they force someone to forgive people raping them... http://www.nordlys.no/nyheter/article5558656.ece

(could go into many other subjects, but am not going to use the heavy shots here)

Please do go into other subjects. Ones where you have evidence would be a good start perhaps. You aren't using your 'heavy shots' because you don't have any, be honest.

What you and so many others fail to grasp is that religion is not about control. Organised religion may be said to be about control (that's a whole other debate) but a person's own religion is their business. You codemn all religious people because you think they see you as doomed for hell if you do not believe. And yet you yourself judge them to be evil for what they do believe. If you don't see the irony there, you really need help.

At the end of the day, a person's beliefs are entirely their own choices. Not God's, not Allah's, not Odin's nor any other being's. You have no right to take that from them or to judge them as evil when you truly do not understand what they believe.

Hopefully one day, you'll realise how wrong you are. If you do, and you come on here and apologise, I'm sure almost everyone will forgive your ill-thought comments and undeserved judgements. Not because it's the Chirstian thing to do, but because it's the right thing to do. Ultimately, that's what faith is about - doing the right thing.

Edited by Setton

The minimum requirement, for me, is that they abide by the law that Jesus said summarised the Ten Commandments - "Do unto others as you would wish done unto you".

If you get that right, then everything else follows.

The first three of the commandments are the only ones that are religous in nature. The rest are common sense & should of been taught to you as a child at some point.

The minimum requirement, for me, is that they abide by the law that Jesus said summarised the Ten Commandments - "Do unto others as you would wish done unto you".

If you get that right, then everything else follows.

I think I missed this post the first time round, and only noticed when someone else quoted it. Didn't (and correct me if I'm wrong), didn't Jesus actually cite TWO Laws that summarised the ten commandments (and the Prophets). Not just "Do unto others as you would wish done unto you", but also the first most important - "Love the Lord with all your heart and soul and strength".

That is also part of the summary that Jesus gave, correct? Isn't this equally important in looking at a minimum requirement for Christians?

I think I missed this post the first time round, and only noticed when someone else quoted it. Didn't (and correct me if I'm wrong), didn't Jesus actually cite TWO Laws that summarised the ten commandments (and the Prophets). Not just "Do unto others as you would wish done unto you", but also the first most important - "Love the Lord with all your heart and soul and strength".

That is also part of the summary that Jesus gave, correct? Isn't this equally important in looking at a minimum requirement for Christians?

True. I tend to forget about keeping the first one. Prolly has something to do with me being an atheist, I expect.

True. I tend to forget about keeping the first one. Prolly has something to do with me being an atheist, I expect.

No disagreements. I was simply addressing the point that for some reason many people seem to focus on Jesus "love your neighbour" part, as if this was the entirety of his message, and then they forget to address the "love the Lord your God" part. I know that you as an atheist won't use this part of Jesus' teachings. I just find it strange that many Christians leave that part out as well...

So mormans are christians then? I want your opinion

Well, it seems in recent times that some of us have been having a discussion as to what exactly makes a person a Christian. I've been thinking about this and would like to hear some opinions. And when I ask this question, I'm not looking for a one sentence reply like "A person who follows Christ". That's obvious. What I am looking at is what people see as the minimum requirements of beliefs and actions. After all, the Westboro Baptist Church claim that they are following Christ, and these guys see it as a requirement for people to hate gays, shun family members, and thank God for AIDS and dead soldiers.

Of course, most Christians look at this group and say that they aren't "real Christians". So if we were to describe in detail the requirements for being a "Christian", what would be the core ideas that are absolutely necessary for a person to profess to be Christian?

~ Regards, PA

If a person tell me they are a Christian, I believe them. I think the main thrust of following Christ is to grow in love, not judge, to also realiaze that God's love falls on everyone. To much time is spent in quoting, and not in listening to the stories and parables that Jesus spoke and pondering them. Also, in how he actually treated people. True he got angry and spoke strongly, but it was only to try to make a break through, not in judging someone as worthless and beyond salvation. Many of the leading Jewish leaders became followers of Jesus after his resurrection, so I think he got through to many of them.

Dear all

A Questions

Are mormans christians?

I don't think you can classify people with a blanket statement like that. To me, some Mormans are Christians, some are not. Just as some Catholics are, some aren't and the same for every denomination. It's an individual thing, not general.

But what does it mean to "follow Christ"?

Edited by Paranoid Android

I don't think you can classify people with a blanket statement like that. To me, some Mormans are Christians, some are not. Just as some Catholics are, some aren't and the same for every denomination. It's an individual thing, not general.

Good point "Setton". The following is my take on the question. I don't know why s/he didn't create a new post for it as it doesn't fit this post. Anyhow:

http://carm.org/is-mormonism-christian

The reason Mormonism is not Christian is because it denies one or more of the essential doctrines of Christianity. Of the essential doctrines (that there is only one God, Jesus is God in flesh, forgiveness of sins is by grace alone, and Jesus rose from the dead physically, the gospel being the death, burial, and resurrection of Jesus), Mormonism denies three of them: how many gods there are, the person of Jesus, and His work of salvation.

First of all, the theological answer to the question is available in numerous places online. No: Mormon or LDS theology is not fundamentally Christian. It sounds Christian but it is not after the analysis is done. This is a generally accepted belief among all Christians. I am not making this up.

However, as Setton pointed out, who are we to say which individuals believe in Jesus and which do not? I mean, I even have a friend who is a Jewish rabbi and he believes that Jesus is the son of God. He does not consider himself a Christian but rather a Jew...

Moreover, the modern language of Mormon/LDS teachings sounds very Christian. Many Christians who were converted to LDS may be unaware of the theological differences and thus they may still be Christian.

In addition, most Mormons would consider themselves to be Christian, even though their theology is different from every other Christian denomination.

In summary, is the Mormon religion fundamentally Christian: no.

Are any Mormons Christian: probably yes.

Keven

Are any Mormons Christian: probably yes.

Keven

While you make a fine argument, I have to take issue with the conclusion.

Let us use an example of someone who is an atheist. This atheist is a 'good' person and his or her life philosophy matches fairly closely to the secular philosophies of those who follow Christianity. Obviously, the atheist is not going to "love God with all their heart", but the secular philosophies are a good match.

It is pointed out, by a Christian, that this atheist "is a good Christian". Is that statement true?

Obviously not. The atheist does not hold to certain beliefs that define Christianity, so cannot be "a Christian". The label "Christian" does not apply in the generic sense of "someone who is a good person". Perhaps that is what the various Christian Churches (and followers) would like everyone to believe, but it is simply not true.

So, how does this relate to your "Some Mormons are Christians" affirmation?

Mormonism espouses a different set of beliefs than Christianity. A person cannot hold to the tenets of Mormonism and Christianity simultaneously and claim to be 'faithful' to both. If a person who has joined the Mormon Church adheres to the tenet of Christianity, then that person is a Christian - not a Mormon.

So, "some Mormons are Christians" is a false statement. A person can be a Christian whilst being a member of the Mormon Church, but they are not, then, "a Mormon".

Using terms which should be used specifically, in a generic sense - outside the context in which they should be used - leads to the misunderstanding (and confusion) of what things are.

Edited by Leonardo