Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can my toddler see my dead grandmother?

snuffler767

To give some background to this I live in a house with my partner and our 19 month old daughter. The house was first lived in by my great grand parents and when they passed on my grandfather and grandmother moved in to it. My grandfather died 5 years ago and my grandmother (Peg) was totally heartbroken, she deteriorated and lost all interest in living. She died 3 years ago and I moved into the house with my partner.

Whilst putting my little girl to bed last night she went through her usual routine of saying nite nite to all the people she knows such as mama, dada, etc etc(usually lasts 10 mins) then right at the end she said 'nite nite Peg'. I asked her who she just said nite nite too incase I'd misheard her but again she said Peg. She was smiling and didn't seem at all bothered by this. This morning I got her up and dressed and as we were leaving her bedroom to go downstairs she turned around to look back into the room and said 'bye bye Peg'. I am not sure what to make of this, I have of course talked about my grandmother but never by her name and my daughter has never met anyone called Peg. I can only assume that my grandmother is watching over us but that kind of freaks me out a little.

• Replies 17
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• UltraThunderMan

• snuffler767

• The One Who Is

• asterisk90

Yes of course she can.

Do you think that I might get to see her? Is there anything I can do to encourage her to appear to me?

Do you think that I might get to see her? Is there anything I can do to encourage her to appear to me?

Yes.

This is unlikely to say the least.

toddler or children have more sense to see something like that so that possible to your toddler to see your grandmother and communicate with him or her,and for the name maybe you never said it in front of your toddler but maybe Peg did. that's why sometimes (in my country) when babies or children looks like chat with someone,we can assume that they talk to someone that we can not see (it's also according to my experience). in my opinion you don't have to freaks out because i think that she just want to see her grandchild and say Hi,i thinks that OK that someone you know. and of course you can see your grandmother but i don't know how to do it because in my place that's easy to find someone that can help you to see something like that.

my husbands mum died when my son was 2 ish. (note he was an early talker , been chattering from when he was about 9 months old) he always would say that grandma would often come and see him during the night because he made her happy! he said she would sit on his bed and smile at him. one time i asked him if she came alone and he replied that no, sometimes she would bring a man and a dog. when i asked who the man might be my son just said bob. (her husband who died 20 years ago and never met my son was called bob) another time he was talking about the dog (he loves dogs) and he said the dog was small like a cat and called tippy. i asked my husband if his mum had had a dog called tippy and as a young girl she had a dog named tip but it was a border collie so not a tiny one.

a month or 2 later i was having a bit of a clear out and had found a picture of my mum in laws yorkshire terrier, i never thought any thing of it and stuck it behind an ornament on the mantlepiece. my son comes in and straight away sees the picture and says oh look theres tippy! the dog wasnt called tippy but teaka, and shed died about 15 years before my son was born, was in life my mother and father in laws world.

i dont know if it was my mum in law visiting, but it would be so nice if it was..she was too ill during the 2 years she had with my son to get to know him well, and it would be nice to think she was popping in. my son is now 11 and never mentions his visits now, he stopped talking about them when he was about 5.

I firmly believe that children are able to see spirits. I have no doubt that your daughter is seeing your grandmother. What a lucky girl to have her great-grandma checking in on her

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Although I don't remember it, my mother says I often spoke to my deceased great-grandmothers when I was a toddler. I think it is not uncommon for young children to be able to speak with the dead.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Yes, your toddler can see his great-grandmother.

Many (or most?) children are able to see spirit, until they have it mentally beaten out of them.

If you want to be able to communicate with your grandmother for yourself, ask at a local spiritualist church about attending a 'development circle'. If you have any latent clairvoyant talent, they may help you bring it out, but nothing is guaranteed.

It is speculated young children are more in tune with spirits and past lives. Just talk to her as if it was a normal conversation and youll find out amazing things about the soul of your child. 5 might be pushing the envelope when these things "naturally" happen.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 years later...

Was talking to my friend today catching up, she said her grand daughter pointed out grandpa  in a picture saying she saw him when she was sick in hospital of course he had passed years ago. Then she confirmed with the girls mother that after she was born she had trouble breathing at birth. 

Apparently grandpa had comforted her.   So I related to her my experience at the funeral for my aunt several years ago.  After the funeral we were standing around and I saw my cousin with her husband  and small child daughter (2-3  years of age) I said to my cousin, whom had got married in carmel, " I really enjoyed your wedding!"  With out missing a beat the little girl  at her mother's knees said " so did I"

• 3 weeks later...

I am a firm believer that children, the elderly and animals have the ability to see spirits much easier than others. I work with the elderly actually and I can tell you some crazy stories that simply can not be explained away. I absolutely believe that she can see your grandmother. Best thing to do is talk normally to her about it like it isn't a huge deal (that is if she can hold a conversation pertaining to what you want to talk to her about?) Ask her maybe what they talk about, what she looks like..things like that..or whatever comes to mind that only you would know the answer to and see what she says to appease your mind? Hope this helps ;)

• 5 months later...

My cousin's daughter used to come to our house and she liked to follow me around when she was litter, about two or three. One night, I had a craving of noodle soup, so I went out to buy some. When I came back, she was following me into my room while I was dropping off my keys and wallet. When I turned around, I saw her waving feverishly to the corner of the room. I didn't see anything or anyone anywhere in the room. Because she was so besotted by seemingly "someone" in that particular corner and not paying attention to me at all. I hunkered down to her level and turned her body towards me and asked, "Who are you waving at?" She said, 'Popeye". I was shaken by what she said and ran out of my room while she continued waving. The thing is she seemed to be happy to see what she was looking at and I wasn't.