Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Deep fried Kool-Aid balls! The new US snack

Still Waters

Calorie counts on virtually every product you can buy, constant warnings about sodium levels and sugar - it's an age of constant reminders of healthy eating.

America's latest food craze, however, sets the clock back a thousand years: deep fried Kool-Aid balls.

The drink beloved by generations of Americans now comes in snack form in the shape of crispy little balls that resemble tiny creatures from a Fifties horror B-movie.

The Kool-Aid balls were created by chef Charlie Boghosian who quickly found his diabetes and obesity bombs are a massive hit.

He simply drops spoonfuls of the batter, made up of the famous drink mix, flour and water, into the burning fat, lets it sizzle for a minute and bang, the latest contribution to the culinary arts is born.

The 'treat' has been selling like crazy at county fairs throughout the South and after making its first appearance at the San Diego County Fair the snack went viral.

arrow3.gifRead more...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/blogpost/post/fried-kool-aid-hits-county-fair-circuit-photos/2011/06/20/AGfQNqcH_blog.html

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Simbi Laveau

• :PsYKoTiC:BeHAvIoR:

• I Am Not Resisting

• Blues Girl

That's a good idea. It would make for an interesting once in a while snack. I would

like to try them sometime. :yes:

Ditto Robert. :)

Ahh the wonders of a state (or county) fair... They will literally fry ANYTHING ...

and some of it is quite yummy!...

They actually look pretty good! I'd try them.

I have to laugh at the story however...'Latest food craze'. Like we are all falling over ourselves to get them.

It's a county fair thing. For years, they've been trying to 'outdo' themselves with odd 'deep fried' or 'on a stick' creations. I'm sure they're won't be a takeout spot dedicated to them...

Leave it to the fair to think up stuff like this. most of it is pretty good. :cat:

You can deep fry anything these days...

Hmm...actually looks kind of tasty. I'd be willing to try it.

They always say that Americans will deep fry literally anything.

Gotta admire that in a people.

So its sugar, flavor, color and flour, fried.

Sounds just like a doughnut.

No big deal.

They actually look pretty good! I'd try them.

I have to laugh at the story however...'Latest food craze'. Like we are all falling over ourselves to get them.

It's a county fair thing. For years, they've been trying to 'outdo' themselves with odd 'deep fried' or 'on a stick' creations. I'm sure they're won't be a takeout spot dedicated to them...

Yeah like the deep fried stick on a stick

:D

Actually, the Scottish have the US beat on that...they set the bar, so to speak. They even deep fry pizza. :P

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/scotland/4564482.stm

Although I do like fair food once a year and would probably half an order of the kool-aid balls with my husband.

Edited by Michelle

I lol'd at one of the comments:

These are going to be a big hit at the Democrat Convention.

That comment has -14 votes! :lol:

I'm sorry but one place in San Diego does NOT make a new food craze or a "new US snack".

I'm sorry but one place in San Diego does NOT make a new food craze or a "new US snack".

Are you saying the Dailymail would post something inaccurate!!!! :o:o:o

YUK!!! I don't even like the fried dough they have at the fairs. If I eat at the fair it is those sausages with the peppers and onions or the blooming onion. :lol: And I always have to have a glass of the fresh squeezed lemonade. That is so good.

They even deep fry pizza. :P

If there's a line to be crossed, that would be it.

If there's a line to be crossed, that would be it.

Really? I would have thought deep frying chocolate bars was the line they had crossed

If we could deep fry ammunition and firearms AND make them edible, we would do that in a heart beat.

Actually, the Scottish have the US beat on that...they set the bar, so to speak. They even deep fry pizza. :P

We've had deep fried pizza here for years. I tried it a few years back. It wasn't bad but it wasn't great either. It's like a piece of frozen pizza, battered and deep fried is all. I like to try all the deep fried foods at the New York State Fair every year. I go to the fair about 4-5 times per year so I'm not eating all these fried foods in the same day.

I've also tried:

• Deep fried Snickers bar - Pretty good. A bit rich though.
  • Deep fried Onion (Bloomin' Onion) - Great
  • Deep fried Cheesecake - Very AWESOME
  • Deep fried Pickle - gross/heartburn delight, I think it was the horseradish sauce that made it bad.
  • Deep fried Mac And Cheese - Nasty, they deep fried little triangles of Kraft Mac and Cheese out of a box.
  • Deep fried Ravioli - Pretty tasty
  • Deep fried Ice Cream - Yummmm!
  • Deep fried Alligator - It was ok, tasted like tough rubbery chicken.
  • and of course - Fried Dough (Funnel Cake) - Awesome

Really? I would have thought deep frying chocolate bars was the line they had crossed

I wasn't aware that was done. I think this would be the reigning champion for line crossing! LOL!

Deep fried Oreos are delicious! Never heard of the Kool- Aid balls, but I would try them.

Ugh I was just at that fair (San Diego County Fair) and I did not see these...however, as an American who for the most part detests fried foods it's probably because I avoided the "deep fried anything" booths.