Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Midnight Game

Cryptid_Control

Hey there, this has probably been posted before but I did a quick search and couldn't find anything on the site about it.

Anyways, yesterday my friend told me about this game that is kind of like Bloody Mary, but it seems much more interesting. The game is either called 'The Midnight Game' or 'The Midnight Man'. It is a game that you play between 12:00am and 3:33am. I'll quote the rules from a website (reddit)

“The Midnight Game” is an old pagan ritual used mainly as punishment for those who have broken the laws of the pagan religion in question. While it is mainly used as a scare tactic to not disobey the gods, there is still a very real chance of death to those who play the Midnight Game and there is an even higher chance of permanent mental scarring. It is highly recommended that you DO NOT PLAY THE MIDNIGHT GAME.

For those few thrill seekers searching for a rush or for those delving into obscure occult rituals, these are the simple instructions on how to play. Do so at your own risk.

INSTRUCTIONS

PREREQUISITES: It must be exactly 12:00 AM when you begin performing the ritual, otherwise it will not work. The materials that are required include a candle, a wooden door, at least one drop of your own blood, a piece of paper, matches or a lighter, and salt. If you are playing with multiple people, they will all need their own of the aforementioned materials and will have to perform the steps below separately.

STEP ONE: Write your full name (first, middle, and last) on a piece of paper and put at least one drop of blood on the paper. Allow it to soak in.

STEP TWO: Turn off all the lights in the house. Go to your front door, which must be wooden, and place the paper with your name in front of it. Now, take the candle and light it. Place the candle on top of the paper with your name.

STEP THREE: Knock on your own door 22 times (The hour MUST be 12:00 AM upon the final knock), then open the door, blow out the candle, and close the door. You have just allowed the “Midnight Man” into your home.

STEP FOUR: Immediately relight your candle.

This is where the game begins. You must now lurk around your now completely dark house with the lit candle in hand. Your goal is to avoid the Midnight Man at all costs until exactly 3:33 AM. Should your candle ever go out, it is because the Midnight Man is near you. You must relight the candle within the next ten seconds. If you are unsuccessful in relighting the candle, you must then immediately surround yourself with a circle of salt.

If you are unsuccessful in both of these, the Midnight Man will then induce a hallucination of your greatest fear until 3:33 AM. If you are successful in relighting the candle, then you may proceed. If you are successful in creating the circle of salt, you must remain within the circle until 3:33 AM. You must continue until 3:33 AM without being attacked by the Midnight Man or being trapped within the circle of salt to win the Midnight Game. The Midnight Man will then leave at 3:33 AM and you will be safe to proceed with your morning.

Staying in one spot the entire game will only result in the Midnight Man finding you. It is HIGHLY advised that you continue moving throughout the game.

DO NOT turn on any lights during the Midnight Game.

DO NOT use a flashlight during the Midnight Game.

DO NOT go to sleep during the Midnight Game.

DO NOT use another person’s blood on your name.

DO NOT use a lighter to substitute for a candle. It will not work.

AND DEFINITELY DO NOT attempt to provoke the Midnight Man in ANY WAY.

That is all. Have fun.

I heard it originated on /x/ , which isn't very credible. I'm having a Canada day party tomorrow night and I'm concidering doing this with a couple friends to see how it turns out.

My questions for you are:

Have you ever heard of this game?

Have you ever played this game? (If so, what happened?)

I obviously don't believe in something like this, but you never know. Maybe I'll be surprised after I try it.

Here is where I got the rules.

If you read down a couple comments here someone posted their own experience with the game.

This is a creepy short story about it, completely fiction but the fact that slenderman is pretty much in it just makes this seem more fake.

CC

Edited by Cryptid_Control

Cool story.

I imagine it would be a total hoot at a teenage girl's slumber party.

• Like 2

That is pretty awesome, doubt anything will happen but i certainly wont be trying it any time soon!!!

well that sounds a little tricky.. gotta start at 12 exactly- write yer name, bleed on it, hit the lights, light the candle, and knock 22 times- all in 60 seconds since the knocking must be done at 12 as well? Or you do the rest, and save the knocking for 12?

I also wonder what kind of salt should be used. Some practitioners like kosher, others sea salt or black salt.

If nothing else, I have to imagine I would get kind of bored traipsing around my house with just a candle for three and a half hours in the dead of night, lol. But I bet using a chimney for the candle would help prevent it going out, lol.

well that sounds a little tricky.. gotta start at 12 exactly- write yer name, bleed on it, hit the lights, light the candle, and knock 22 times- all in 60 seconds since the knocking must be done at 12 as well? Or you do the rest, and save the knocking for 12?

I also wonder what kind of salt should be used. Some practitioners like kosher, others sea salt or black salt.

If nothing else, I have to imagine I would get kind of bored traipsing around my house with just a candle for three and a half hours in the dead of night, lol. But I bet using a chimney for the candle would help prevent it going out, lol.

I don't think it matters when you start knocking, as long as your knocks aren't too far apart and the last one happens at 12.

Also I've read a couple other stories and most seem to use sea salt, but plain iodized salt seems to work fine too.

Yeah it probably would be a bit boring for some people, but with my imagination it would be fun. I don't know if I'll get to try it tonight but I might.

CC

Edited by Cryptid_Control

This would have been a blast to play with a group of friends. I may still give it a shot.

I can't see myself trying this... if the candle were to blow out, I could definately see myself peeing my pants and screaming to wake the dead... *blush* There are some things you really just shouldn't mess with...

• Like 1

So...what do you get if you win the game? Does the Midnight Man give you a prize or something?

• Like 2

So...what do you get if you win the game? Does the Midnight Man give you a prize or something?

Seeing as it was apparently intended for intimidation/punishment in pagan rituals originally, I'm guessing the prize is you sanity and mental well being? haha

But I already have that. Booo!!! If I'm going risk insanity I want to at least get something out of it. This Midnight Man sounds like a cheap b******.

I'm going to try this Ritual tonight as I have all the amenities to do it. I'll let you know what happens. :)

• Like 2

Obviously since I never replied back on this until now, you've probably guessed that I didn't get to do it. I didn't get scared, my party actually had to be cancelled for personal reasons so I didn't have a chance. I probably have to wait until august to have another chance at this.

@Venom.

Did you get to try it? How'd it go?

CC

• Like 1

“The Midnight Game” is an old pagan ritual used mainly as punishment for those who have broken the laws of the pagan religion in question.

It is kind of like snake handling:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snake_handling

I've never tried it but I found a post on Yahoo! Answers from someone who has. Here it is:

"The midnight game; I have done this on 3 occasions, and it only worked once. The first time, we did it at just to see if it worked, with ME in the house, shut off everything (computers, tv, clocks) and gave me the stuff. After the summoning (which i'll put after this) i lit the candle and ran around the house, freaking out, for about ten minutes. Then, i heard a door slam somewhere and i admit i started crying. I ran into what i thought was a kitchen, and collided with this man and i screamed and threw salt everywhere and was crying and then guy said 'holy crap! (i am paraphrasing) why the hell are the lights off?" and i realized it was sally's dad. So we tried again, with another girl and an epic FAIL (there was a broken window, jello and a bunch of licorice involved) and then the third time, where i was once again the 'subject'. This was several years later, with some different friends. About three seconds after I lit the darn candle it blew out. So, i relit it and got MOVING! You bet your sweet babushka i was scared then. BTW do not go near too many doors that lead outside, if you can help it. At almost every one of them my candle went out, so that's a no no. So, i was doing good, i guess, because it had to have been about three hours and i hadn't seen or felt anything but an occasional chill. Then, what i imagine was about 3:30, i heard a huge crash in the upstairs bathroom. I freaked out and avoided it for a while then went in. As i went to go out i saw that darn silhouette and my candle went out. The guy was RIGHT THERE so i basically said 'screw it', threw my candle away and threw down the best circle in history ever made in the dark. I stood there, shivering my brains out, for about three minutes when i suddenly felt really warm. I heard the front door open, and all of my friends ran into the house yelling for me. The lights all came on, and my friend Ryan looked at me, and i just collapsed. Scariest thing ever. I do NOT recommend it."

I don't think the girl was lying but she might have just seen a shadow or something. The game seems to be specifically designed to use your own imagination against you. You walk past a slightly open window, and you hear a "whisper" (the air seeping through a small space) and all of the sudden your candle goes out (the air from outside blew it out) and you flip out trying to light the candle, and decide to just pull out the salt and make a circle. You whip around making the salt circle and knock something over. The object (which is falling off a table or something) casts a shadow on the wall and you think it's the Midnight Man. It's got to be hard to relight the candle though considering you have to keep moving, and you are holding the candle, matches and salt.

Edited by TheNightOwl
  • Like 1

Nah, wont try this :no: I cant imagine staying awake for that long, also I would be to **** scared :unsure2:

This sounds so creepy.

I'm definately going to have to try it!

PS

It sounds like the new hip pagen ritual game by milton bradley.

Any way it sounds like a good way to scare someone.

But you might just scar them for life so becareful. ^_^

Bit of a potential fire hazard surely?

Why does it always have to be a candle? there is no midnight man its all in ur head called fear gosh i forget how many times i tried bloody mary,the only use that came out of that was the toilet lol

Edited by TheBestDisplayNameEver

• 4 weeks later...

I was talking with a friend a few nights ago and he told me about this game and it got me interested... I shared all the info I had with another friend who is a student at a medical college and I think we will try doing it on her college campus, the 9 of us... she's got the key to the building for some extra-credit summer experiment she is running and I think it would be cool to do it cause the building is huge and there are all sorts of stairs and labs and examination rooms...They only thing which is making me a bit apprehensive is the fact that they have something called "the pool" in the basement full of bodies floating in formaldehyde.. She assures me that the basement is locked but I wouldn't want any of us going in there and having a heart attack or something... Out of 9, 4 are med students so they've seen dead bodies before ( as did I since we prowled around the campus a few times before, the ones they have in the body bags all look dry and leathery, kinda like mummies) but the rest of them are "virgins"... None of us wants to do it in our houses since we don't fancy any unwanted visitors lingering on so we decid to do it on the college premises.. We are still trying to decide which night would be the best but we are pretty much set to go.. Wish us luck :)

• 2 weeks later...

Pagans didn't really have a punishment for not following the "An it harm none, do what ye will". There was the law of three that said you did wrong and you'll pay for it with karma.

This game confuses me :\

If your candle goes out, it means he's close, and if you don't light it within 10 seconds, surround yourself in a cirlce of salt.

But you can't stay in one spot for too long, otherwise he'll find you.

So if you can't stay in one spot, but you gotta stay in a circle of salt, then how do you beat the game?!

:o :o :o

This game confuses me :\

If your candle goes out, it means he's close, and if you don't light it within 10 seconds, surround yourself in a cirlce of salt.

But you can't stay in one spot for too long, otherwise he'll find you.

So if you can't stay in one spot, but you gotta stay in a circle of salt, then how do you beat the game?!

:o :o :o

Cheat codes.