Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What is a Sheep Squatch?

Still Waters

I received an unusual email a few days ago that, quite frankly, I thought was a prank...that's until I started to check into the claim. From what I can gather there is a bit of local folklore with this story. Regardless, I'll post it so you can comment. If you're familiar with the cryptid, feel free to respond:

Mr Strickler - I hope you can give me an idea of what I saw a few weeks ago while hiking with a friend in Fairy Stone State Park in Virginia.We had been on one of the trails for about an hour when we stopped for a brief rest and drink. This was my first visit to this park and I was pleased that the area we were in was secluded.

After a few minutes of rest we continued to walk along the trail when my friend suddenly stopped and pointed towards the right at large group of rocks. Something was moving around but it was about 50 yards away so we didn't get a very good look. We could see that it was light in color and was quite bulky. We stood frozen wanting to know what this creature was though I was getting more frightened by the second. As we started to walk the creature moved onto a rock where we got a good look at it. It looked like a medium sized bear but the fur was very light in color, almost a yellowish gray. The head was very strange also. There was a snout like that of a bear but the dark round eyes were set lower on the head. It was looking in our direction and we had no intention on sticking around to see what it was going to do.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• DieChecker

• UFO_Monster

• Rosenrot

• Mike G

Top Posters In This Topic

Fairy Stone State Park is my neck of the woods! Even been there a few times when I was younger. I've got a bucket full of those cute little stones. I never would have thought I would have heard a cryptid tale about something called Sheepsquatch from there. Always would have thought it would have been something to do with the "faeries." Maybe it's a beastie that the faeries summoned to guard their precious stones ;)

But in all reality this sounds like a light-colored bear.

The pic with the article is pretty weird.

sheepsquatch5.JPG

The description sounds to me like a Great Pyrenees. One that has gone wild and with its hair all matted and woolly looking.

dog.jpg

Edited by DieChecker

Some monster sighted in West Virginia. It's a lesser known legend in the state. I can't even remember where it was seen. However, the sighting was included in a book of *supposedly* fictional scary stories, so....yeah. I don't think it's anything more than a folk tale.

I tell you the most unconvincing thing about this story is that in this day and age they never had a device that they could take a photo with...

I tell you the most unconvincing thing about this story is that in this day and age they never had a device that they could take a photo with...

:huh:

I never bring my cell phone into the wilderness, or any picture-taking electronics for that matter. Most people don't.

They also could have had older cell phones that don't have cameras, you don't know when that article was written.

I never bring my cell phone into the wilderness, or any picture-taking electronics for that matter. Most people don't.

They also could have had older cell phones that don't have cameras, you don't know when that article was written.

And even if they had, given the technological limits of camera optics in cell phones, it would have just produced a grainy and shaky image that all of the "armchair" professionals on the net would have written off as a "hiker", "visual matrixing", or an outright "hoax".

Edited by Mike G

Well the description does sound quite different from a regular description of bigfoot, perhaps an albino bigfoot *shrugs* Or it could have just been a bear yeah lol, bigfoot doesn't have a snout. :hmm:

Here is an illustration, but it's not anything official:

5148729.jpg

Personally, I think this is about as logical as the Goatman urban legend or the Leeds' Devil story. It's folklore.

And you know most people don't take cameras into wilderness areas is a fact? Can you provide a reference for this statistic?

Thank you.

I usually have my camera with me when hiking because I'm a photography buff. I love photographing scenery and the little things in life. Granted it's also a shock-resistant, waterproof camera, but that's beside the point. I took my other camera with me before I got that one. You can bet that if I saw one of these things I'd try my damnedest to get a picture. Even if it was the last picture I took. :lol:

And you know most people don't take cameras into wilderness areas is a fact? Can you provide a reference for this statistic?

He's probably speaking from personal experience. I also know a lot of people who don't take any electronics into the woods. They don't want to lose them or risk dropping/falling on them. I usually have my cell phone just because it's the only cell phone of my friends that's water resistant and gets signal in the woods.

If we really want to find out something, put up a poll here. Granted, the results might be a little skewed because most of us are the kind of people who would carry something to photograph unusual things with. Regardless it would be a statistic on the question.

Thank you.

Plenty of people do, but it's not something to count on.

Most don't bring their cell phones and similar devices into the wilderness because you can't charge them, and it's pointless unless you are counting on taking a picture of a sheepsquatch on the first day while the battery lasts.

A camera isn't as easy to stick in your pocket as a cell phone. Many do carry cameras on longer excursions, but it's not on them at all times. For example, you won't bring a camera with you when you go to take a **** in the bushes. What if that's when you encounter a sheepsquatch?

And if you have but a fleeting glimpse of something like a sheepsquatch, you may not get the camera out in time. There's the initial shock you have to get over, and some may remember their camera and think of taking a picture, at which point they need to take the camera out of wherever it is, turn it on, and snap a picture and wait another second for the exposure time.

Is it just me, or does the picture of the Sheep Squatch look like that flying bison thing on the animated show Avatar?

I spend alot of time in the woods and I always have my cell phone. But most of the time I don't get service so I turn it off to save my battery. I don't think a creature would stay around long enough for me to my to turn on my phone and take a picture. I also carry a .357 revolver, I think a body would be better evidence than a picture anyway.

Is it just me, or does the picture of the Sheep Squatch look like that flying bison thing on the animated show Avatar?

It does look a little like a Sky Bison.

Appa.jpg