Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Anyone got any fav Buddhist/ Zen books?

Korey

I've read quite a bit of books on Zen, mostly by Brad Warner, Thich Nhat Hahn, and Philip Kapleau among many others and was wondering if anyone can recommend any of their best books on Zen or Buddhism in general.

I'm not sure how many responses I'll get about this though

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Korey

• StarMountainKid

• sickpuppy

• Mr. Miyagi

'The Way of Zen', by Alan Watts

'Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind', by Shunryu Suzuki

'The Tao of Zen', by Ray Grigg

These I think are worthwhile reading.

Edited by StarMountainKid

'The Way of Zen', by Alan Watts

'Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind', by Shunryu Suzuki

'The Tao of Zen', by Ray Grigg

These I think are worthwhile reading.

Cool, thanks yo. I have the first two. I read Zen Mind, Beginner's Mind when I was 17. It's the first book I read on Zen. Pretty good one. What seemed so dense years ago seems so simple and understandable after years of zazen. The Way of Zen is another one I own that I find hard to follow. I guess I need to spend a little more time on it, but I remember reading like 8 pages into the first chapter and I had to put it down because it was just so dense and hard to follow. Maybe my mind was just a little cloudy at the time. I'll pick it up again eventually.

As an aside, here is a great little video of Shunryu Suzuki talking about bluejays and accepting with an empty mind so that everything naturally becomes you (my interpretation). :)

As an aside, here is a great little video of Shunryu Suzuki talking about bluejays and accepting with an empty mind so that everything naturally becomes you (my interpretation). :)

Cool, thanks, yo.

Just started reading The Five House of Zen by Thomas Cleary. Got some hardcore **** man.

Not much into Zen Buddhism, but I enjoyed reading D.T. Suzuki's An Introduction to Zen Buddhism.

Stephen Batchelor's Alone With Others, An Existential Approach to Buddhism and Buddhism Without Beliefs.

A good translation of the Dhammapada, I prefer The Dhammapada: The Buddha's Path To Wisdom by Acharya Buddharakkhita. This is available online for free in PDF format I think as well.

Not much into Zen Buddhism, but I enjoyed reading D.T. Suzuki's An Introduction to Zen Buddhism.

Stephen Batchelor's Alone With Others, An Existential Approach to Buddhism and Buddhism Without Beliefs.

A good translation of the Dhammapada, I prefer The Dhammapada: The Buddha's Path To Wisdom by Acharya Buddharakkhita. This is available online for free in PDF format I think as well.

Right on yo.

An Introduction to Zen Buddhism is currently on hold for me at the library now. I've been sitting zazen for a while and am past the introductory phase but thought I'd pick it up any ways.

• 9 months later...

zen and the art of motorcycle maintenance might be of interest to you..?

i think the authors name was Pirsig? (it's been a while..)

Zen Flesh Zen Bones

• 2 weeks later...

'Teach Yourself Zen: A Way Of Life' I think it's by Christmas Humphreys. I'm also a fan of 'The Way of Zen' by Alan Watts.

• Member was banned and hasn't posted in nearly a year...

• Like 1