Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious sea creature washes up on beach

kk50

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShadowSot

• KainFall

• Spectre1979

• skookum

Probably a whale of some kind.

Who knows but I am sure someone on here will have the answer!

Edited by kk50

A couple walking their dogs on a beach were shocked when they came across the body of a mysterious sea creature.

*Snip*

Margaret and Nick Flippence made the incredible find at Bridge of Don, Aberdeen, in eastern Scotland.

Curled up by the foot of sand dunes was the 30ft-long body of the unidentified animal with head, tail and teeth all discernible.

Experts are examining photos of the mysterious creature. Some think it may be a killer whale or a pilot whale.

A spokesman for the Natural History Museum said: 'We have spoken to one of our mammals curators, and they have confirmed the animal is probably a long-finned pilot whale – Globicephala melas.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2016781/Couple-walking-dog-discover-30-ft-carcass-sea-creature-rotting-beach.html

Edited by Still Waters
Removed copyrighted image

A couple walking their dogs on a beach were shocked when they came across the body of a mysterious sea creature.

*Snip*

Margaret and Nick Flippence made the incredible find at Bridge of Don, Aberdeen, in eastern Scotland.

Curled up by the foot of sand dunes was the 30ft-long body of the unidentified animal with head, tail and teeth all discernible.

Experts are examining photos of the mysterious creature. Some think it may be a killer whale or a pilot whale.

A spokesman for the Natural History Museum said: 'We have spoken to one of our mammals curators, and they have confirmed the animal is probably a long-finned pilot whale – Globicephala melas.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2016781/Couple-walking-dog-discover-30-ft-carcass-sea-creature-rotting-beach.html

Look at the human footprints near its head. If you use them as a very rough guide, then the creature is only about 15feet long or so, not 30feet. I think.

__EDIT__

Just looked at the article link and there is a woman standing behind it. I stick with my 15foot guesstimate.

Edited by Still Waters
Removed copyrighted image

It looks like a preserved fossil. Maybe it was fossilized in an underground eruption and the recent earthquakes shook it loose and it drifted to shore. I know this theory is not plausible but it is possible.

No way that is 30 feet long, MAYBE 20 at the most. If they can't even get the length right they have no business calling it a "sea monster".

Edited by Moonie2012

It is some kind of toothed whale or dolphin. The shape of the vertebrae and the skull are very telling.

The Scottish Agricultural College said vets believed it was a juvenile pilot whale, rather than a speculated prehistoric-type creature.

Dr Andrew Brownlow said: "I would speculate that it was a juvenile that became separated from its group and could not survive on its own."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-north-east-orkney-shetland-14222071

Could be a pilot whale....but the fins are missing... so it might not be a whale after all....hmmm

Could be a pilot whale....but the fins are missing... so it might not be a whale after all....hmmm

It's rotting half of his body and almost all his head is missing what the strange about fins missing?

Supposedly the locals say it washed up on the beach weeks ago and used to look like a pilot whale.

It's pretty obvious it's a whale, anyone with common sense can tell that. I can't believe the amount of articles that have titles about it being a sea monster. lol

I get error-404 ''Sorry ... the page you requested could not be found.''

-_- !

I get error-405 "Sorry... it's a frigg'n whale."

I get error-404 ''Sorry ... the page you requested could not be found.''

-_- !

I was getting that too, but as soon as I came into the thread, I clicked on the link in post 1 and it works. :)

Can't they do a DNA or something? Wouldn't that clear it up?

Can't they do a DNA or something? Wouldn't that clear it up?

Sure. But it's not always necessary when an expert can take a look at the skeleton and especially the skull. In this case it can be done from everyone with the available pictures.

The vertebrae we can see are typical for a mammal. Comparing the skull which is turned upside down (the lower jaw is missing) to skulls of the mentioned killer- and pilot whale and considering the small holes of the (lost) teeth it’s a pilot whale. This is acknowledged through the opinion of the LNHM and especially Dr Andrew Brownlow of Scottish Agricultural College. Because according to STVAberdeenCity he examined this whale previously in May and identified it... as pilot whale.

Case closed. Move on.

Why do we need DNA on everything these days?

I noticed it on a similar thread a bit ago where what was clearly a dead whale still had people asking for DNA to be sure, wouldn't the examination of the corpse in comparisons with previous whale corpses pretty much sink it?

I only mentioned DNA cause it is a way to shut some people up who believe it to be a monster. But as with most things in these forums some will always believe otherwise.

If it was no fins and a worm like body i would suspect that its the giant beast thats been swimming round in that giant trash pile in the pacific, cause i was talking to it to see if the whole thing was fake or not an basically it told me its just basically is what being a tripper and it was trying to get people to clean it up, so I made it eat all the trash like the dream wasnt tripping, and i pretended that it was some kind of worped water beast that turns trash into water. an when it was done it played it like hooplah, this dream isnt tripping anymore lets go have sex with dewey, and i didnt really feel like meeting a sea beast that wants to have sex with me so i made it go all around the continents to scotland with the idea who says it isnt scotland acting like this movie isnt tripping on unexplained mysteries.. aaan I wanted to see if it could move on land, so i kinda made it try and. move on land. but that was just like a 1-3 months ago though. Something like that, but who says thats dumb, cause i also said the post would be in like 1-3 months.. but who says that isnt 3 weeks..