Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

cloaked figures

shadowanswers

I am looking for answers about possible shadow people. My experience was when I was 9yrs old. I have thought about it often, and while having a conversation with a neighbor, decided to investigate further.

My Experience...Laying in bed, it was middle of the night, for some reason I woke and opened my eyes to see several dark figures floating into my room. My sister was asleep in the twin bed next to me and she never stirred. They filed in, at least 6 of them, and stood on each side of the bed and at the end of the bed. I did not feel anything evil about them. The were cloaked with hoods and no face that I could see. Seemed they were discussing something but it was all whispering. Somehow I knew they were discussing something about me. They would whisper and nod to one another. After a few minutes, maybe 4 to 5, as they came in, they silently filed out of the room. Within seconds I pulled covers over my head until I fell asleep.

If anyone has had a similar experience or has any knowledge of what it could of meant, I would love to hear from you.

My experience was when I was 9yrs old. -- it was middle of the night, for some reason I woke -- Within seconds I pulled covers over my head until I fell asleep.

Problems. You were a kid. Kids do have good imagination both living and asleep. Cool dreams, nightmares, playing with toys, pretending stuff etc. Also you cannot be sure did you really awake from your sleep or was it just a dream. Also waking up at night you might be a bit blurry and confused because of, well, awakening in the middle of night and falling asleep right after. Ever seen scary monsters in pile of clothing?

So yes, I have had similar experience. And I call it dreaming or being confused in the night. Also possibly a kid. Heck, I have seen ghosts and monsters when I was a kid but today I don't think I as a kid was more sensitive to paranormal but I just had a great imagination.

• Like 5

Sure you wasn't still asleep.

Hallmarks of sleep pralysis. Check it out. Most shadowy things beside your bed are related to hypnogogia.

Yes I would also say it was linked to sleep paralysis and although I didn't see cloaked people, my friend who is experianced in psychic abilities tries once to contact her spirit guide and she told me that she woke up once in the middle of the night and there was this shadow person standing over her. She told me it was the most terrifying thing that has ever happened to her, but she still thought it was her spirit guide. She quoted something from a book that some of them are looking like soldiers and tough on the outside, but they have great love inside. I personally don't believe in shadow people, maybe because I never saw one. But they seem rather fascinating.

• 1 year later...

Unlike those who believe that you were still asleep, i don't. i have seen these demons since i was 13. i first saw one in broad daylight. as well as at night if you are looking to find what they are all i can say is, demons or watchers... the bible speaks of watchers but doesn't say whether or not they are on God's side or satans. i hope this helps.

Unlike those who believe that you were still asleep, i don't. i have seen these demons since i was 13. i first saw one in broad daylight. as well as at night if you are looking to find what they are all i can say is, demons or watchers... the bible speaks of watchers but doesn't say whether or not they are on God's side or satans. i hope this helps.

She wasn't necessarily asleep. From my own experience, sleep paralysis happens during the waking state, when you don't quite wake up but aren't quite asleep either. You're awake and aware of being awake. You recognise your own bedroom. You're in a lucid state that's nothing like a dream state.

But a part of your brain is still asleep and conjuring up dreams and hallucinations. And I know from my own direct experience that shadow figures standing beside you or moving around your bed are typical of sleep paralysis. A sense of overwhelming fear and a feeling that there is some sort of evil presence is not uncommon.

You won't mistake it for a dream because like I said, your state of mind is entirely unlike the strange disjointed nature of dreams where nothing works like the real world and nothing makes much sense. In sleep paralysis you are all too aware of being in the real world which is what makes it such a convincing 'paranormal' experience.

It happened to me a few times when I was younger and I genuinely thought I had some sort of visits from evil entities during the night.

One occasion was particularly memorable. I awoke from a terrifying dream where I had been in a bus that crashed. I awoke in startled fear like you do from nightmares. I was lying in bed and I could see a shadowy figure standing beside my bed. It was the grim reaper. Dressed in tattered robes and a hood that obscured his face. I was in my bedroom and this deathly figure was watching over me. I couldn't move or make any noise. It was terrifying. The scene then shifted as if I then fell back asleep into a regular dream state. I thought I was lying on a grave. I could see gravestones around me. Death was standing beside 2 objects covered in rough sacks, like old canvas potato sacks. He lifted them off and one was a tombstone with '35' carved on it and the other was a tombstone with '85' carved on it. I then 'woke up' again and was lying back in my bed, still unable to move. Gradually the experience faded and after some time I was back to normal. Scared the **** out of me. I had no idea what it was supposed to mean. Why death? Why a cemetery? What did those numbers mean on the tombstones?

It was only years later that I learned of sleep paralysis and that my experience squared up with a well known natural phenomenon. I had several experiences before learning of it. As time went by after I learned about it, the experiences became less scary and I was able to simply endure them and almost force myself out of that state by realising it wasn't real.

I am also prone to lucid dreaming, vivid hallucinations during hypnagogia and remembering my dreams. I suspect they are all interrelated phenomena.

• Like 5

I am looking for answers about possible shadow people. My experience was when I was 9yrs old. I have thought about it often, and while having a conversation with a neighbor, decided to investigate further.

My Experience...Laying in bed, it was middle of the night, for some reason I woke and opened my eyes to see several dark figures floating into my room. My sister was asleep in the twin bed next to me and she never stirred. They filed in, at least 6 of them, and stood on each side of the bed and at the end of the bed. I did not feel anything evil about them. The were cloaked with hoods and no face that I could see. Seemed they were discussing something but it was all whispering. Somehow I knew they were discussing something about me. They would whisper and nod to one another. After a few minutes, maybe 4 to 5, as they came in, they silently filed out of the room. Within seconds I pulled covers over my head until I fell asleep.

If anyone has had a similar experience or has any knowledge of what it could of meant, I would love to hear from you.

Dementors :o

• Like 1

I understand people don't believe or are skeptical as hell but to throw salt in somebody's experience

is quiet harsh.It is what it is.If you doubt that's what it is.

• Like 1

I understand people don't believe or are skeptical as hell but to throw salt in somebody's experience

is quiet harsh.It is what it is.If you doubt that's what it is.

Who is throwing salt? All I see are folks offering rational advice to someone.

Granted, my post was a bit snarky, but you have to admit there is quite a bit of that going on around here. As for the OP, obviously this wasn't too much of an issue for him/her as they joined, made this post, came back two days later, and then hasn't been online in well over a month.

• Like 1

As soon as I see the word "bed", it's a major red flag. Then add 9 yr old kid and "falling back to sleep" and it becomes no more than a story about a dream. Rarely do I hear such an amazing account from someone who is walking down the street during the day.

I'm not trying to ruin the OPs day here, I'm sure it seemed very real and I understand how these things can impact people.

• Like 2

This could be chalked up to imagination - you were a kid, you were in bed and you could have mixed up a dream with reality.

But here's the thing - I have heard of similar reports from all age groups over the years. It's always at night and always seems to be multiple figures (3 to 6) that are dark that file into a room and seem to stand there staring at the figure reporting it. I have read about this in everything from Imbrogno's books to Vallee to Streiber to Hopkins.

While those names are not, perhaps, the most respected in their veracity, the consistency intrigues me. It's either a real phenomenon or it's something shared widely among humans fantasies. And either way it's fascinating.

• Like 1

I had 3 cloaked & hooded figures appear in my bedroom once. I thought I was hallucinating, until my husband asked me who those guys were. Their robes appeared to be brown, couldn't see their faces, don't know why they showed up, there was no communication, they didn't come any closer. They weren't scary, other than that I didn't expect any spooks to show up in my bedroom late at night, just their appearance freaked me. Finally I closed my eyes and went to sleep, when I woke up, they were gone. This happened about 15 years ago.

3 hooded figures appeared figures appeared in your bedroom in the middle of the night and freaked you out and your husband's response was to merely ask "who are those guys?"

Did you call the police about this home invasion by freaky hooded figures in the middle of the night that was verified not be a hallucination by your husband and his strangely calm response to what must have looked like a home invasion by multiple hooded people who ventured into your bedroom in the middle of the night.

• Like 3

3 hooded figures appeared figures appeared in your bedroom in the middle of the night and freaked you out and your husband's response was to merely ask "who are those guys?"

Did you call the police about this home invasion by freaky hooded figures in the middle of the night that was verified not be a hallucination by your husband and his strangely calm response to what must have looked like a home invasion by multiple hooded people who ventured into your bedroom in the middle of the night.

We had been seeing a lot of "paranormal" stuff, and this was just one more thing. After a while, we got used to it, although all of i was inexplicable, none of it involved any sort of "evil" or negative entities or other things. It was events like this that changed me from a skeptic to a believer. I thought briefly about not posting the response I did, but it did occur, and I see little point in withholding my truth for fear of being ridiculed (again!). And hopefully it helped the OP. As for home invasion, they clearly weren't human, weren't up to any monkey business, and went away on their own volition.

Edited by Beany

• 1 year later...

Yes! This happened to me almost exactly, a couple years ago. I was about 16 years old - not a child... And my boyfriend has been seeing these since he was 13 and continues to see them at the age of 22..

My one experience was also in bed... I had just woken up from sleep...I know this because I could feel, my arm was asleep - this is a common thing for me because I sleep weird. Anyways, I distinictly recall the hue of the room to be a yellowish/orange color - uncommon for the room, and exactly 6 black hooded - with no face - figures surrounded me, two on the left and four on the right. I think one was holding a book... perhaps chanting, whispering something about me, or Mike (my boyfriend)... He is very prone to this nonsense, and I am not.. So naturally.. I try to wake him up and tell him what is happening, and he vaguely mumbles, "go to bed, it's fine". Honestly... not calming advice lol... So i just sucked it up, turned over and eventually went back to sleep.

Since then I have not seen them... They honestly scared me and I would really like to know what it was...

Why is it so many people believe their childhood dreams and nightnares were paranormal experiences? It seems to be like a dang plauge in these forums. Does anyone bother to read in the forums to look for answers? not meaning to sound like an ass, but there is a wonderful search feature here. ive seen boogers and plants walk, gi joes attack me, all sorts of things as a child and just shrug them off as simple night terrors. a simple childhood nightmare is just that, a dream, not an ominous sign of doom or more horror to come.

Edited by jamesjr191
  • Like 2

Yes! This happened to me almost exactly, a couple years ago. I was about 16 years old - not a child... And my boyfriend has been seeing these since he was 13 and continues to see them at the age of 22..

My one experience was also in bed... I had just woken up from sleep...I know this because I could feel, my arm was asleep - this is a common thing for me because I sleep weird. Anyways, I distinictly recall the hue of the room to be a yellowish/orange color - uncommon for the room, and exactly 6 black hooded - with no face - figures surrounded me, two on the left and four on the right. I think one was holding a book... perhaps chanting, whispering something about me, or Mike (my boyfriend)... He is very prone to this nonsense, and I am not.. So naturally.. I try to wake him up and tell him what is happening, and he vaguely mumbles, "go to bed, it's fine". Honestly... not calming advice lol... So i just sucked it up, turned over and eventually went back to sleep.

Since then I have not seen them... They honestly scared me and I would really like to know what it was...

"I had just woken up from sleep" is a clue that you were hallucinating. Hypnopompic hallucinations upon waking from sleep is a known phenomenon and shadowy figures in the room and around your bed is a common theme for some reason.

I've experienced it on many many occasions as have others on these forums. It's nothing to worry about unless it happens regularly and you think it's symptomatic of a sleep disorder.

• Like 3

You sure it wasn't CPS?

• Like 1

Sleep paralysis, as others have suggested. I suffer from sleep paralysis, and I've hallucinated cloaked figures standing over me.

• Like 2

Sleep paralysis, as others have suggested. I suffer from sleep paralysis, and I've hallucinated cloaked figures standing over me.

Me too. It seems to be a common theme for some reason. In my case it was a grim reaper like figure wearing a hooded tattered cloak on a couple of occasions.
  • Like 1

What is CPS?

And when you have sleep paralysis, and you wake up, i read what's supposed to happen is you can't move... That didn't happen to me.. :/

And when you have sleep paralysis, and you wake up, i read what's supposed to happen is you can't move... That didn't happen to me.. :/

Yes, sleep paralysis involves not being able to move during these kind of experiences, but there is a broad spectrum of similar and related experiences that don't involve paralysis. Hypnopompic hallucinations and related experiences involves a broad range of experiences and stories that don't necessarily neatly overlap exactly.

My amateur opinion based upon your post is that you didn't experience sleep paralysis itself, but you probably did experience a hypnopompic hallucination of some sort. Like I've said before, they can be extremely vivid seeming and hard to tell from an actual real experience.

Shadowy figures, swarms of spiders or bugs climbing the walls or roof, voices talking to you, claws digging into your flesh, hands strangling your neck, strange distant sounds of clanking metal, etc. etc. are all things I've experienced in similar situations during waking hallucinations after I've just woke up. No paralysis but I'm able to recognise them these days as similar phenomena to sleep paralysis without tagging them as being the exact same thing.

But when it first happened to me I lacked the knowledge to identify it as a well known but not well understood sleep experience that has been reported for a long time.

• Like 1