Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Missing man found in chimney 27 years on

Still Waters

THE body of a Louisiana man who vanished 27 years ago have been found lodged inside a bank's chimney.

Staff stumbled across Joseph Schexnider's corpse as they carried out renovation work. He went missing in January 1984 ahead of a court appearance for possessing a stolen vehicle, KATC-TV reported today.

Police investigating the grim find in Abbeville, west of New Orleans, have ruled out foul play.

They say Schexnider probably died from dehydration and starvation after climbing into the Bank of Abbeville's chimney and becoming trapped.

But why he was there remains something of a mystery.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 22
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• little_dreamer

• Grimmace

• slowfade

• lenny_girl

Strange story but aside from trying to rob the bank I can't think of any otehr reason he would be in the chimney.

Strange story but aside from trying to rob the bank I can't think of any otehr reason he would be in the chimney.

Better call in FBI on this one lol They don't know why he was there, oh brother.

He was a chimney sweep by trade?

Years from now, this story will become another urban legend like that Santa story from the

movie Gremlins. :w00t:

Edited by Robert1

Wow...Nobody noticed the smell of decomp or anything? :blink:

Edited by village_idiot

So he wanted to avoid showing up in court...by hiding in a chimney? Well it's not good too speak ill of the dead so rest in peace to him.

Wow...Nobody noticed the smell of decomp or anything? :blink:

You'd think they would have done, wouldn't you!?

wait so he went in and couldnt get out?...so he stayed alive in there till he died out damn smh horrible death i feel sorry for him

<Gatofeo at the market>

Let's see ... I need some crackers ... blue cheese ... and gimme a pound of smoked burglar. I'm having some cannibals over and need to cater to their tastes.

:devil:

He was probably making a deposit, but was refused a withdrawal.

:lol:

I saw a similar story, some time ago in Ripley's or Fortean times. Must be a good place to hide. Gnarly way to die though, if you think about it.

• 2 weeks later...

World's best hide and go seek player...

:lol:

http://headlines.verizon.com/headlines/portals/headlines.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=headlines_portal_page__article&_article=3580381

Whatdayaknow? :unsure: The case of a missing man 27 years later was solved in a gruesome way...trapped in a chimney! :o In Abbeville, Lou. the police finally (and I do mean finally) found Joseph Schneider, a 22 year old man reportedly missing since 1984 in the least comprehensable manner of finding him dead...and entombed. :unsure2: The news story link tells you more on wha's least likely to be written for an episode of 'CSI: Cold Cases'.

Edit: Mods, please merge this article with another on the same news story (my apologies).

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=211066

Edited by DeMikeDe

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Did people not have a sence of smell in 84' or something? You'd think someone would have gotten a wiff of a decomposing body...