Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

'Swamp monster' threatens rail project

Still Waters

A MYTHICAL swamp monster "hiding" under Auckland is threatening to derail a project to improve the New Zealand city's traffic gridlock.

The North Island city is trying to move ahead with a multi-billion railway tunnel project to improve the minimal train network and free up its car-filled streets.

But Horotiu, a mythical monster, put the NZ$2.6 billion ($2.1 billion) project in doubt after an indigenous Maori board protested that it will destroy grounds once patrolled by the make-believe taniwha, pronounced tani-fa.

Glenn Wilcox, a member of the Maori Statutory Board, which protects Maori interests, complained that the plan did not take into account the monster, which "was here first".

The taniwha is a mythical protector with a powerful role in Maori folklore, but get it angry and you're in trouble, Mr Wilcox said.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 1

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ravinar

• Fluffybunny

• Professor Buzzkill

• village_idiot

I am sure this is just a legend but somehow I find myself wanting the Maori peoples wish respected.

A much needed public works project is being sidetracked on account of a mythical monster.

How silly can these things get? I'm so glad I don't live in New Zealand.

A much needed public works project is being sidetracked on account of a mythical monster.

Yeah, no kidding...If this was in the US, we'd have bulldozed and been done before anyone had a say in the matter...

To be fair, the monster goes away (as it did in the Waikato, and Pohoi) when you pay the Maori elders millions of dollars. This is the legacy of a treaty that protects the religion of the native people, even though none of those people actually believe in the old religion of monsters and gods

I disagree with you in the US people put God before things all the time, is he not mythical?!

Also n the UK I cannot imagine anyone being able to put a motorway or railway through Lochness.

"A much needed public works project is being sidetracked on account of a mythical monster. How silly can these things get? I'm so glad I don't live in New Zealand."

The New Zealand people are probably MIGHTY HAPPY also that you don't live there !!!

i live in nz, seriously every other week the maoris are protesting about something about "their" land all they do is annoy everyone, no one gives them respect and no one ever is, they are always trying to win fights they cant, 1st the shore beds, then the air space, now this, grow up you losers and get a job ffs

Its ab-suh-loot-lie moronic that a public works project is being sidetracked due to sightings of a mythical monster

I am sure this is just a legend but somehow I find myself wanting the Maori peoples wish respected.

even if its a load of bull i would much rather the Maori people get there way. why? because any thing that stops a natural environment from becoming a polluted concrete sh** hole is a good thing in my book!

even if its a load of bull i would much rather the Maori people get there way. why? because any thing that stops a natural environment from becoming a polluted concrete sh** hole is a good thing in my book!

Does that mean you are giving up your home and moving into a cave? or do concrete pooholes only apply to other people's stuff?

Does that mean you are giving up your home and moving into a cave? or do concrete pooholes only apply to other people's stuff?

look all i was saying is that I'm against development projects that just plow right through and destroy natural environments. can you really say this development project wont do just that? if you can i will shut my mouth but some how i really doubt that.

look all i was saying is that I'm against development projects that just plow right through and destroy natural environments. can you really say this development project wont do just that? if you can i will shut my mouth but some how i really doubt that.

What was there before your home was built?

What was there before your home was built?

... a farm. but that is besides the point! Am i to assume that your in favor of this project even though it will ether pollute or outright destroy the natural environment its building on?

It sounds alot like the Australian aboriginals complaining about "sacred sites". personally though, i hope the swamp doesnt have a train line going through it, i cant see a 2 billion dollar transit project being too environmentally sensitive. Why not commision a few (more) hybrid-gas busses, seems to have worked here in (western) Australia.

Edited by draconis

Split Enz - "Dirty Creature" (Australian Band whose members were from NZ)

Dirty Creature come my way from the bottom of a big black lake

Shuffles up to my window making sure I'm awake

S'probably gonna pick my brain

Got me in a vice-like grip

He said one slip, your dead. Ha.

Dirty Creature of habit, Little horror here to stay

Anyone in his right mind would tell it to go away

But the river of dread runs deep, full of unspeakable things

The creature don't mess around

I don't wanna mess with him

I don't wanna sail, I don't wanna sail

I don't wanna, I don't wanna sail tonight

Dirty Creature's got me at a disadvantage from the inside.

Tentacles on the brain keep me from falling asleep

I'm rooted to the spot, The beast don't know when to stop

Sneaking up from behind, Binds and gags my wits

Dirty Creature got my head exactly where he wants it

I don't wanna sail, I don't wanna sail,

I don't wanna, I don't wanna sail tonight,

Taniwha is waiting for me just below the surface so bright

(Yeah-eah-eah-eah)

Even as we speak the Dirty Creature springs a nasty surprise.

Dirty Creature knows my type found it in a magazine

He's seen the look of fear before splattered all over the screen

The animal magnet thug draws me out of myself

I need a dragon-slayer who can save me from myself

I don't wanna sail, I don't wanna sail,

I don't wanna set sail for the middle of nowhere tonight

Dirty Creature's got me at a disadvantage from the inside

(Yeah-eah-eah-eah-eah)

I don't wanna sail upon the waters of invention tonight

I disagree with you in the US people put God before things all the time, is he not mythical?!

Also n the UK I cannot imagine anyone being able to put a motorway or railway through Lochness.

I disagree with what you said,Putting "GOD before things all the time" Unless you mean GOD being Money.Now I know that "RELIGION" sticks it's ugly pointed booger filled nose in somethings but not everything. But if it came to Voters saying "YOU can't build here because bigfoot wonders these woods" there would be some what of a stand still but eventually Money talks and B.S. walks unless Bigfoot himself Votes and pickets and has a deed for the land on which building is wanting then I do believe he would take a lump sum of $$$$ and then find some other place to leave his tracks.

To be fair, the monster goes away (as it did in the Waikato, and Pohoi) when you pay the Maori elders millions of dollars. This is the legacy of a treaty that protects the religion of the native people, even though none of those people actually believe in the old religion of monsters and gods

I am starting to see the picture here, I think. Thanks for clearing this up.