Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

My sleep paralysis experiences.

KyleA

When i was 15 or 16 years old, i began suffering from sleep paralysis episodes occasionally. The first time it happened to me was when i was in 10th grade. At first, all that would happen is I would wake up, unable to move. I would feel weird vibrations in the back of my neck, but visual or auditory hallucinations were not present. After this happened one or two more times, it started to get worse. I woke up one night to a low, droning voice. I was incredible fearful, the feeling of dread was overwhelming. It was difficult to understand what the voice was saying....it was very low, and it seemed it was speaking in another language. This scared the hell out of me. I spoke with my sister about it after this happened, and she told me that she has suffered from sleep paralysis as well, but has never heard anything during her episodes. I've heard voices several times now during the episodes. There was only one time that i could understand what the voice was saying. It said something about having been here for millions of years. I really have no clue what the hell it was talking about, all i know is it sounded angry, and very evil.

There were only 2 times where I've had visual hallucinations. The first time it happened was literally probably the most frightening moment of my life. I woke up and felt like there was something on my chest, pressing down(not the first time I've had this feeling in an episode, but it was worse than usual this time) My blanket started to rise up, like there was something under my covers on top of me. When i started feeling the pressure come off of my chest, my blanket began lowering. When it was done, i could see the silhouette of a small, imp like demon. It was sort of kneeling at the end of my bed, on the wooden part of the frame(i cant think of what its called right now) it was looking at me, it's eyes were red and glowing. As soon as i could move again the first thing i did was grab my remote and turn on the T.V so there was light in my room. Of course it was gone, and there was nothing in my room with me. After researching online a bit i saw that many other people have described seeing almost the same exact thing. I have trouble believing this can be explained by science, when so many people from different cultures and backgrounds are seeing the same thing. If it was a dreaming while awake thing, don't you think people would be reporting seeing all kinds of different things? Don't you think people would actually see or hear things that WERENT evil? Cause i havent heard any stories like that... Anyway, I have to go now but I will add my last experience when i have the time.

Edited by KyleA

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• White Crane Feather

• Zampano

• Kazahel

• KyleA

This has happened to me for a long time. I've kept a journal every time it happened to see if I can notice if there is a pattern, but after a couple of years I couldn't see any patterns and stopped writing my experience down. It just happens. What is consistent, is that it usually happens in the first 10 to 15 minutes after I go to sleep. Most of the time it starts off with a lucid dream. In this dream I am very aware of my surroundings, but I also feel that there is something watching me. And then it happens...the loud noise in my ear, the pressure...etc. On occasion it has happened to me while I was up, but still in bed. And, every time it happens I am totally aware of my surroundings. These days it continues to happen maybe once or twice every few months, but by now I am used to it. During these episodes I have had some OBE experiences - that is something I am still interested in, and I wonder if I could self induce them...We'll see.

Fairly standard sleep paralysis experiences. All fully explained and understood.

You can believe that or not, it's your decision.

Fairly standard sleep paralysis experiences. All fully explained and understood.

You can believe that or not, it's your decision.

Yes, you are absolutely correct Rafterman! Every night this phenomenon takes place every time we enter REM sleep. This helps protect us from acting out our dreams and hurting ourselves. In some cases, this paralysis certainly does linger long enough that it is present during our waking moments. That said, there are still a handful components of sleep and dreaming that are still mysterious.

For me, the most interesting part about my sleep paralysis is that it has happened before I've entered REM sleep, and in a couple of cases it has happened even before I fell asleep. It were these isolated moments that made me wonder.

Don't you just love the unexplained? :)

Yes, you are absolutely correct Rafterman! Every night this phenomenon takes place every time we enter REM sleep. This helps protect us from acting out our dreams and hurting ourselves. In some cases, this paralysis certainly does linger long enough that it is present during our waking moments. That said, there are still a handful components of sleep and dreaming that are still mysterious.

For me, the most interesting part about my sleep paralysis is that it has happened before I've entered REM sleep, and in a couple of cases it has happened even before I fell asleep. It were these isolated moments that made me wonder.

Don't you just love the unexplained? :)

The problems are a cascading fear reaction because people struggle against the

Paralysis and freak themselves in an altered state.

Edited by Seeker79

The problems are a cascading fear reaction because people struggle against the

Paralysis and freak themselves in an altered state.

Yes, Seeker79 - that certainly could be one possibility.

Yes, Seeker79 - that certainly could be one possibility.

There are others. Honestly they seem interrelated and have multiple functions. I'm headed out now but if you would like to discuss it more just pm me. I end up haveing so many of these discussions it's getting exhausting to repeat things. I have methods of control, and defeat of the fear entities. I show people how to turn SP in to a wonderful event and to take control. I just am going to stop posting it all unless someone asks. There are some success stories on my blog " a man awake"

Latter

Thankfully, i dont suffer with sleep paralysis.

A lot of accounts seem teo refer to a figure sitting on chest.

I saw a documentary a while back and the person told of what looked like a malevalant figure sitting on their chest.

They went on to describe it as looking like an old woman,leaning over them and a sensation like theyre breath /lifeforce is being drained from them.

Does anyone else get that feeling.

Also, has anyone seen an old woman at the time of their ordeal?;

Thankfully, i dont suffer with sleep paralysis.

A lot of accounts seem teo refer to a figure sitting on chest.

I saw a documentary a while back and the person told of what looked like a malevalant figure sitting on their chest.

They went on to describe it as looking like an old woman,leaning over them and a sensation like theyre breath /lifeforce is being drained from them.

Does anyone else get that feeling.

Also, has anyone seen an old woman at the time of their ordeal?;

No, I haven't seen the old woman. I think in some countries they refer to her as the Old Hag Syndrome.

The explanation of the "Hag"..the Mare??

How can this be the result of any kind of evolutionary effect?

Since its not cultural, it must be genetically implemented in our brains, because it cross every cultural boundaries.

And for what cause?

Millions, and millions of people have experienced the SAME figure/female through centuries.

The scientist can say that they can see that we are in a dream state while the sleep paralysis kicks in and that some brain activity is going on but why people see similar beings attacking them, all over the world, is by far more interesting.

If it would be a random dream pattern spun out of the fact that you cant move because of the paralysis there is as many other dream scenarios, as there are people, than being held down by an ugly hag.

One could dream your drowning in wet cement, pinned down by an anaconda, tied to a tree by an Indian on and on and on.

But most scenarios is around a ugly woman, or man is sitting on your chest in your bed and choking you.

A retell of a former Korean war veteran:

One of the respondents to the sleep paralysis forum of the Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Neurology gives an inkling of how frightening the nightmare can be.

The man had fought for thirteen consecutive months in frontline combat in Korea, but said of his one nightmare attack in 1964: "Never, before or since, have I ever experienced the fear of that night."

They usually concern a sense of a physical presence in the room, which manifests itself either visually or aurally, or both. Those who have had such an experience often describe the strong sense of fear or even terror such presences provoke.

•In African culture, isolated sleep paralysis is commonly referred to as "the witch riding your back".[20][21]

•In Iceland folk culture sleep paralysis is generally called having a "Mara". A goblin or a succubus (since it is generally female) believed to cause nightmares (the origin of the word 'Nightmare' itself is derived from her name). Other European cultures share variants of the same folklore, calling her under different names; Proto-Germanic: maron; Old English: mære; German: Mahr; Dutch: nachtmerrie; Icelandic, Old Norse, Faroese, and Swedish: mara; Danish: mare; Norwegian: mare; Old Irish: morrigain; Bulgarian, Serbian, Polish: mora; French: cauchemar; Romanian: moroi; Czech: mura. The origin of the belief itself is much older and goes back to the reconstructed Proto Indo-European root mora-, an incubus, from the root mer- "to rub away" or "to harm".

•In Malta, folk culture attributes a sleep paralysis incident to an attack by the "Haddiela" who is the wife of the "Hares", the entity in Maltese folk culture which haunts the individual in similar ways as to those of a poltergeist. As believed in folk culture, to rid oneself of the Haddiela, one must place a piece of silverware or a knife under the pillow prior to sleep.

•Ogun Oru is a traditional explanation for nocturnal disturbances among the Yoruba of Southwest Nigeria; ogun oru (nocturnal warfare) involves an acute night-time disturbance that is culturally attributed to demonic infiltration of the body and psyche during dreaming. Ogun oru is characterized by its occurrence, a female preponderance,

•In Newfoundland and Labrador, it is known as the 'Old Hag'.[32] In island folklore, the Hag can be summoned to attack a third party, like a curse. In his 1982 book, The Terror that Comes in the Night, David J. Hufford writes that in local culture the way to call the Hag is to recite the Lord's Prayer backwards. It is also common for believers to claim that those who are not wakened from this paralysis will die.

•In Newfoundland, as a visit from the "old hag" (Ag Rog)

•In Hungarian folk culture sleep paralysis is called "lidércnyomás" ("lidérc pressing") and can be attributed to a number of supernatural entities like "lidérc" (wraith), "boszorkány" (witch), "tündér" (fairy) or "ördögszereto" (demon lover).[24] The word "boszorkány" itself stems from the Turkish root "bas-", meaning "to press".[25]

•In many parts of the Southern United States, the phenomenon is known as a "hag", and the event is said to often be a sign of an approaching tragedy or accident.

•Several studies have shown that African-Americans may be predisposed to isolated sleep paralysis also known as "the witch is riding you" or "the haint is riding you". (Haint - Definition - Mean a scary b**** or mean person, usually a woman.) In addition, other studies have shown that African-Americans who have frequent episodes of isolated sleep paralysis, i.e., reporting having one or more sleep paralysis episodes per month coined as "sleep paralysis disorder," were predisposed to having panic attacks.[28] This finding has been replicated by other independent researchers[29][30]

•Scandinavian countries Sweden,Norway,Finland Denmark speaks of the Mara, a female being, with a foul face and body,pressing and holding the person down.

Sleep paralysis has been a topic of discussion amongst European and Chinese writers for more than two thousand years. The influential Greek physician Galen examined the causation of the nightmare or ephialtes during the second century AD, and a description of the experience appears in a Chinese book on dreams dated to as early as 400 BC. Cures for those suffering from the "mare" appear in late Saxon manuscripts, although these make little mention of the actual symptoms

The "mare" element of the English "nightmare" derives from the same root as the Germanic mahr and Old Norse mara, a supernatural being, usually female, who lay on people's chests at night, thereby suffocating them. Even if knowledge of the "mare" has been largely forgotten, she has left her mark in many European languages. In Norway to have the nightmare is to be mareritt, and we find nachtmahr in German, nachtmerrie in Dutch, and cauchemar in French. The mare concept also forms the basis of Slavic and other central and eastern European terms for nightmare--zmora in Polish, morica in Croatian, more in Serbian, muera in Czech, kikimora in Russian. The presence of the mare in so many languages has understandably led etymologists to assume that it is of Indo-European origin, although there seems no agreement as to its Indo-European meaning.

In India, there are thoughts of a female entity, called Mohini (a demoness from the underworld), comes into the night-time world by means of ascending through a deep well. She is enchantingly beautiful, yet simultaneously horrific, unearthly, and deadly. Like her British Isles counterparts, she also seeks a male lover and human genetic material, presumably for the purpose of bearing a hybrid demon/human child.

In German we find alpdrucken ("elf-pressing") and hexendrucken ("witch-pressing").

Hungarian boszorkany-nyomas means "witches pressure."

If you like some drawings and depictions, here you go.

oldhag.gif

nighthaglapland_large.jpg

karabasan.jpg

nightmare.jpg

Here is 2 interesting documentaries on the subject, well worth the watch if you are interested in the subject

Sleep Paralysis 1/5 Ghost Visions

Sleep Paralysis 2/5 Ghost Visions

Sleep Paralysis 3/5 Ghost Visions

Sleep Paralysis 4/5 EVPs & Ghost Visions

Sleep Paralysis 5/5 Ghost Visions

Ghostly Encounters-Anorexia and the Haunting Hag 1/3

Ghostly Encounters-Anorexia and the Haunting Hag 2/3

Ghostly Encounters-Anorexia and the Haunting Hag 3/3

Crazy isn't it ?????

Well I fought with it. I was taught to create obes then set a trap for it.. Consider this the sleep pralysis itself is biological enough, but the visions are indeed something else.

But also ask yourself this. Do you like your child being afraid of the road? What purpose is scareing the hell out of you accomplishing? When training a warrior do you not prompt and push him/her to fight? If you knew your child was about to venture into a wilderness he/she was unprepared for but you couldn't stop her/him, might it be the only way to hold them back was to scare them. Did you ever see that M night movie ( "the village" I think)

It's a challenge, an obstacle. It's not evil. People just don't understand. So much so that I have been acused of being a devil myself. Funnything is that it's not far from the truth.

Anyone interested should study the processes of a shamanic awakening.

I'll paste an article I gave on my blog " a man awake"

Edited by Seeker79

Well I fought with it. I was taught to create obes then set a trap for it..

What kind of trap?

What kind of trap?

When It attacked and I woke up, I pretended like I was in sp again, but I really was using OBE meditations. It came for me again, but I was p***ed and determined I jumped out of body and kicked it's ass. I fought with it in my hall way then I pinned it on my stairs and grabbed it by the face screamed about what it had put me through my whole life.

After that my everything changed.

Edited by Seeker79

When It attacked and I woke up, I pretended like I was in sp again, but I really was using OBE meditations. It came for me again, but I was p***ed and determined I jumped out of body and kicked it's ass. I fought with it in my hall way then I pinned it on my stairs and grabbed it by the face screamed about what it had put me through my whole life.

After that my everything changed.

Interesting. That is very similar to some experiences I have posted over the years..

Here is a quote I took from one of them..

Anyway this time I thought I would try something different and so I went to trick them and I pretended to just ignore them and to go back to sleep. So I shut my eyes in the dream(like a dream of paralysis)and I waited for about 10 seconds before I suddenly leap out of bed in one quick motion with the intent to fight. Which worked really well.

Taken from here Link

Another one here..

I have managed to break out of the paralysis a few times and I killed the character that I thought was giving me the paralysis. The thing that worked best for me was to trick it by pretending to be asleep and then springing out of bed all of a sudden(in the dream though)which stopped the experience. Another time(I think the last time I had a sleep paralysis)I got out of bed and stabbed it four times where I thought its heart might be with my butterfly knife. I kept/keep the knife next to my bed so that I would/do know its there in a dream. So I sometimes dream I cannot move and I'm in bed and so its more like dreaming that I am paralized in bed and not actually awake. I found I can break out of the paralysis because I tend to get angry and attack whatever is threatening me. I'll post the dreams below if your interested in reading them.

Taken from here. Link

So its interesting you have a similar trap that you were taught. I didnt teach you that trick by any chance did I?

Edited by Kazahel

Interesting. That is very similar to some experiences I have posted over the years..

Here is a quote I took from one of them..

Taken from here Link

Another one here..

Taken from here. Link

So its interesting you have a similar trap that you were taught. I didnt teach you that trick by any chance did I?

Wow! No my friend. Spirit guides taught me! I know some people have a hard time with that. But it's the truth.

Wow again! But I am never surprised any more by coincidences sometimes they plauge me.

Have you learned to shamanic journy/astral project from this experience. You are already mostly there.

Wow! No my friend. Spirit guides taught me! I know some people have a hard time with that. But it's the truth.

Wow again! But I am never surprised any more by coincidences sometimes they plauge me.

Have you learned to shamanic journy/astral project from this experience. You are already mostly there.

I've been astral projecting for many years before these experiences. And dont worry, I understand about spirit guides.

I've been astral projecting for many years before these experiences. And dont worry, I understand about spirit guides.

Well then, I feel like we are brothers.