Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Disappearing objects

gufzoo

Two nights ago my husband put his wedding ring on his nightstand before going to sleep. The next morning, the ring is missing. I helped him search the entire area without luck. I figured he misplaced it elsewhere. I left for an evening shift at the hospital figuring it would show up eventually. Two hours later I get a message from my freaked out husband who walked into the bedroom to find the ring sitting in the middle of the nightstand, as if it had been there the whole time! We can't explain it. We had no visitors, we have no pets, he didn't leave during the period between my leaving and his finding it. He thinks it fell through a tiny wormhole/time warp. I'm looking for a more rational explanation but I'm coming up empty. Anyone have any ideas?

• Replies 24
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Xpeople

• Lady Unicorn

• F2army

• gufzoo

He thinks it fell through a tiny wormhole/time warp.

He doesn't like mundane explanations, does he ? :P

I have these kinds of things happen to me all the time! I've learned that the only way I can find them is to leave, forget about it, and return to find it where I most likely searched before in plain sight. I've talked to other people about it. Some say that it's fairies and elves just messing with us and others have told me that sometimes we just overlook things in plain sight.

I was told that sometimes spirits will move objects..make them disappear and then reappear to let us know that they are watching over us...Also drive us crazy!!LOL!!! :P

Glad to hear that your husband got his ring back.

This seems to be a fairly frequent phenomenon. But there doesn't seem to be any proper research.

Here are two similar experiences:

A family member and her partner were quietly watching TV and a large glass bowl on the coffee table simply disappeared, melted away in front of their eyes as they watched dumbfounded. It never came back. These people are teetotallers and not on drugs etc.

I was clearing out a cupboard and moving a pair of kids football boots from a top shelf. One boot fell as I lifted them. The boot never fell to the floor (as I expected of course) and I never found it. I can only say that it dematerialised into thin air. Again, no drugs, mental problems, alcohol etc. It happened just as I've described.

I'm wary of exotic explanations, but you have to wonder...

Two nights ago my husband put his wedding ring on his nightstand before going to sleep. The next morning, the ring is missing. I helped him search the entire area without luck. I figured he misplaced it elsewhere. I left for an evening shift at the hospital figuring it would show up eventually. Two hours later I get a message from my freaked out husband who walked into the bedroom to find the ring sitting in the middle of the nightstand, as if it had been there the whole time! We can't explain it. We had no visitors, we have no pets, he didn't leave during the period between my leaving and his finding it. He thinks it fell through a tiny wormhole/time warp. I'm looking for a more rational explanation but I'm coming up empty. Anyone have any ideas?

Could it be that you just block it for your head?

Hi Everyone,

I have experienced missing objects in my home, as well as other places where I lived. Objects have been disappearing in my home for the last 14 years. Some of the objects reappear at different places the apartment.

The first thing that I noticed on the second day of where I moved into my Toronto apartment in 1998, I noticed my cup where I put my toothbrush disappeared. I asked 1 of my 2 roommates if he took it, and he said "No." Then in about few days later it reappeared. Then my perfume disappeared, and then reappeared again. My pepper shaker in the kitchen disappeared, then reappeared.

Then later in the years, my bank card disappeared, my video tapes, jewellery box (but not the contents of the box), my books, my portfolio that I handed in for university admission, my quaters for laundry, my rain jacket, my boots, and now recently that was missing in June 2011 is one of my photo albums in apartment which I moved in in 2007.

The strange thing is that I once cleaned up my room to make sure I know where everything is in place. I left my wallet to make sure I won't lose it because my bank card was missing about 4 times. So I left it at home in front of my bed, and then when I came home late at night, I noticed it wasn't there. Then I said to myself that it will come back one day. I went to sleep and dreamt of a man, who looked like a spirit - a transluscent body - returned my wallet in front of my bed. I woke up the next morning and looked in front of my bed, and it was there. So I believe some bad spirit is doing this to me.

When my grandmother passed away, I found a silver ribbon pinned to my black suit jacket in my closet.

I'm upset that my photo album disappeared. I'm really sad about that.

Well, that is my take on it.

Keyhearts.

Hi! I have had one experience like you guys, and one something other than DOP (Disappearing Object Phenomenon)..

Case 1: the first one, 1-2 months ago:

my dad and I were out shopping stuff for the apartment which was being freshed up so that it could be rent to other people. getting out of the shop we go to our car. my dad is back in the trunk putting stuff in there, whilst I walk to the front of the car (right side) to get in on my side. i can see the door is locked and i even tried opening it, just to check it was locked (lol). i turn around, go back to the back of the car, and ask my dad if he could not go open up for me. he's too much into what he's doing so he didnt pay much attention. i turn around to see the door i earlier tried to open, was now wide open, stood there quietly, there was no movement in the door.. it just stood there, open.. this happened when i turned my back to the door, and like 10 sec later turned around again. there was no sound AT ALL. it was like magic... normally when u open door, it bumps back and fourth just a little. none of that either. that was weird.. i was like: "ok, ill just go in.. wtf was that.. someone trying to get my attention? or tell me that someone is watching, or the fact that the door opened, that something is here to help me?".....

Case 2: this happened today.. but began yesterday:

ok, so i got three towels i keep at the same time all the time.. 2 for showering.. and 1 for the gym (which i hang up after gym, to dry it). the 2 for shower hang on the left door of my closet, the gym towel on the right door. yesterday, late on the day, i randomly noticed that the gym towel were suddenly gone.. i looked for it.. my room and little outside my room.. nothing. i wondered maybe my sis had thrown it in the washer thing.. but i'd doubt she'd do that.. why would she? same goes for my dad.. and i know they dont mess with my stuff.. i dont mess with theirs.. i stopped looking around for it, cause it was no big deal, i just had to get a new one later when packing my gym bag. so i forgot about that, and the day went on. next morning (today) i get up and get rdy to take a shower. now i notice that the gym towel is back.. this was when i got aware of this. i knew it was gone yesterday, and that now its back. but then i saw that one of the towels on the left door (for showering) was gone. so i left that behind me, and just took the gym towel as replacement.. and went to shower. at this moment, leaving the room to shower, both doors had no towels on them. and i carried two of them.

after the shower, i get in my room, get some clothes on.. then i hang up those two towels i used, on the left door. there was no towel on the right door. after checking my mail and little other things on my pc, i went downstairs to get something to eat. when i get up, i noticed that a towel was hanging on my right closet door. my sis was watching tv downstairs and my dad was taking a shower in the bathroom downstairs, so could not have been them.

i looked this up, and found out its DOP. i ruled out those pshychological things that might be the cause, such as temp. blindness - that u just oversees it.. - cause i touched the towels and all that, so i ruled out that..

this was the article i read after the event: http://paranormal.about.com/od/poltergeists/a/Disappearing-Object-Phenomenon.htm (i read both pages)

hope this post wasnt too confusing.. xD

F2army :)

This thread is really interesting. I've never heard of this phenomenon before, or I guess I've just put (my own) lost objects down to misplacing it or the kids have moved it etc etc.

Thanks for sharing your experiences by the way. :)

Obviously it was trolls.

It's a poltergeist/spirit that was messing with you. They like doing that a lot. I know it sounds strange, but if this happens again you can.. scold it. Yes, like you would a child. Out loud and seriously, to make it known that you don't appreciate that type of humor. If that's too strange for you to do, then just wait and see what else happens. Although I don't guarantee that things won't spiral out of control as they tend to when you tolerate this type of thing.

It's a poltergeist/spirit that was messing with you. They like doing that a lot. I know it sounds strange, but if this happens again you can.. scold it. Yes, like you would a child. Out loud and seriously, to make it known that you don't appreciate that type of humor. If that's too strange for you to do, then just wait and see what else happens. Although I don't guarantee that things won't spiral out of control as they tend to when you tolerate this type of thing.

kk ty for the heads-up.. was kinda paranoid the day it happened, but feeling better now haha :) ill try scolding if it happens again.. just to have done something at least xD hehe

I was told that sometimes spirits will move objects..make them disappear and then reappear to let us know that they are watching over us...Also drive us crazy!!LOL!!! :P

Spys have a habit of going this, too. They just want you know they are there. ;)

i was once looking for my keys

then minutes later i was holding my keys the whole freaking time

• 3 months later...

Hi. Long time reader of the forum, but posting here for the first time!

Pardon any grammar mistakes, English is not my first language.

This happened to me a week ago. Late one evening I was in the kitchen, deciding what to cook. Potatoes came to my mind. I usually keep a bag of potatoes in a drawer, not anywhere on top or eye level, but you have to bend down to reach into this drawer.

Background: I was VERY sure I had potatoes in my house that day, very sure that they were inside this drawer so right away when I opened the drawer it wasn't there. Ok. Reached back and looked around inside the drawer.. Still not there. Emptied the contents, all the pots and pans.. Overturned, removed and replaced everything.. I still don't find the bag.

This went on for a 20 full minutes. I then decided to cook something else. Thought on my mind at that time was maybe I didn't have potatoes that day or maybe I trashed them earlier if they had gone bad etc..

Next morning: I unload the dish washer, and try to place the pots and pans back in their shelves and drawers. Opened the drawer now and the bag of potatoes was right in front! Almost to the point of falling out of the drawer (There's NO way I could have missed this the previous night). It wasn't hiding under anything or wasn't anywhere way back where I couldn't see (considering you might miss seeing stuff in the night time, compared to day light).

Finally, I don't believe in anything paranormal or supernatural, since ive never had experience in the stuff. But this just shook me! :cry:

Anybody else have similar experiences or can give answers?

This happens all the time. :rolleyes: It's happened so many times, that I just give up looking and it'll end up showing up in the place it was. It's rather annoying.

Did you see him put the ring on the nightstand? He could have just cheated on you and forgot the ring somewhere.

He got it back eventually, called you while you are gone obviously and tell you it was right there... must have been a wormhole/timewarp...

Come to think of it, I'm gonna use that one too, the fact saying it might be a wormhole/timewarp would throw the conversation to a whole other level. :D

Just sayin'though, not that he might actually have done it, but I find it strange that only the ring was involved and not other stuff on the nightstand or the nightstand itself...

This stuff used to happen to me in the house I lived in before now. Some of it was stuff to big to overlook, like the hair dryer that disappeared from the vanity, was gone a week, and then turned back up-in the vanity.

When I realized there was something going on in the house I had a friend of mine get me some holy water and I did threaten the ghost/spirit/poltergiest/whatever once when a pair of earrings I had been planning to wear were gone basically telling it how funny would this be when I got the holy water out. Not sure I believe the whole holy water thing but my little friend evidently did because when I went back to look where I had already looked, there they were.

• 1 year later...

I have an explanation for the disappearing objects occurrence. I've been experiencing this phenomenon for 15 years.

I found the explanation in the bible when when place too much emphasis on idols (idolatry) in this materal world and not on God, our idols (objects/materials) will eventually disappear.. It is in Isaiah 2:06-2:18.

Remember: "Every good and perfect gift is from above, coming down from theFather of the heavenly lights" (James 1:17) Do't fall into the trap of valuing ceated things more than the Creator.

An idol is anythi that becomes more important to us than God.

Friendships, dating, relationships, music, success, cars, clothes, food and appearance -the're not aways idols. They only become idols or false gods when we place more emphasis on them tan we do on ur relationship with God. We can enjoy all those things without gui;y as long as God remains our ultimate priority.

So now we all know what the reason of disppearing objects.

Unicorn

• 4 years later...

So lets say in the future we can go back in time, what if we get smart enough to pinpoint little things and change/move them to alter the course of universe....they would be some seriously intelligent ppl

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2011 at 11:45 PM, gufzoo said:

Sometimes spirits are able to manipulate and move objects. It is possible this might be a sign of a haunting but, you will be able to validate if it is a haunting or not much more with time.

I would guess that the OP found their answers or not in the last several years since they have been to UM. But since they haven't been here in several years, I'm going to go ahead and close this topic.

• The topic was locked