Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Signs of underground river beneath the Amazon

Still Waters

A huge underground river appears to be flowing thousands of feet beneath the Amazon River, Brazilian scientists said Thursday.

Valiya Hamza of Brazil's National Observatory said researchers found indications the subterranean river is 3,700 miles (6,000 kilometers) long, about the same length as the Amazon on the surface.

Hamza said the discovery of the possible underground river came from studying temperature variations at 241 inactive oil wells drilled in the 1970s and 1980s by Brazil's state-run oil company, Petrobras.

He said the "thermal information" provided by Petrobras allowed his team of researchers to identify the movement of water 13,100 feet (4,000 meters) under the Amazon River.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• Persia

• Doug1029

• Mike 215

I have some research plots in the Cimarron National Grassland on the banks of the Cimarron River, about five miles above the point where it permanently emerges from the ground. Above that, most of its flow is underground. The channel is so vague that my cruising team installed a line of plots right across it and up the south side without realizing they'd crossed. Water in the upper stretches is such a rare event that when water does manage to flow all the way across the Grassland, it's considered a newsworthy event and the local paper carries pictures and an article!

FYI: If you're into stories about the Santa Fe Trail, this is the Cimarron Cutoff. My plots are within sight of Middle Spring.

Doug

I thought that the deeper you go the hotter it gets. I remember seeing a story about those South African gold mines which are just as deep and it it hot. How can water be flowing so deep in the earth?

Perhaps we will find more evidence of the hollow earth? Or maybe it will remain classified eh?...

• 1 month later...

This is so freaking awesome. Too bad ABC is too hard to believe on ANYTHING.

hmm not too hard to imagine. the hassayampa river that runs past wickenburg arizona flows underground just south of the town. and does not rise to the surface after that point.