Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Iraqi children shot in head by US Troops

acidhead

Wednesday, August 31, 2011 http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/08/31/122789/wikileaks-iraqi-children-in-us.html

WikiLeaks: Iraqi children in U.S. raid shot in head, U.N. says

This cell phone photo was shot by a resident of Ishaqi on March 15, 2006, of bodies Iraqi police said were of children executed by U.S. troops after a night raid there. A State Department cable obtained by WikiLeaks quotes the U.N. investigator of extrajudicial killings as saying an autopsy showed the residents of the house had been handcuffed and shot in the head, including children under the age of 5. McClatchy obtained the photo from a resident when the incident occurred. |

gmz1i.WiPh.91.jpg

By Matthew Schofield | McClatchy Newspapers

A U.S. diplomatic cable made public by WikiLeaks provides evidence that U.S. troops executed at least 10 Iraqi civilians, including a woman in her 70s and a 5-month-old infant, then called in an airstrike to destroy the evidence, during a controversial 2006 incident in the central Iraqi town of Ishaqi.

The unclassified cable, which was posted on WikiLeaks' website last week, contained questions from a United Nations investigator about the incident, which had angered local Iraqi officials, who demanded some kind of action from their government. U.S. officials denied at the time that anything inappropriate had occurred.

But Philip Alston, the U.N.'s special rapporteur on extrajudicial, summary or arbitrary executions, said in a communication to American officials dated 12 days after the March 15, 2006, incident that autopsies performed in the Iraqi city of Tikrit showed that all the dead had been handcuffed and shot in the head. Among the dead were four women and five children. The children were all 5 years old or younger.

Reached by email Wednesday, Alston said that as of 2010 — the most recent data he had — U.S. officials hadn't responded to his request for information and that Iraq's government also hadn't been forthcoming. He said the lack of response from the United States "was the case with most of the letters to the U.S. in the 2006-2007 period," when fighting in Iraq peaked.

Alston said he could provide no further information on the incident. "The tragedy," he said, "is that this elaborate system of communications is in place but the (U.N.) Human Rights Council does nothing to follow up when states ignore issues raised with them."

The Pentagon didn't respond to a request for comment. At the time, American military officials in Iraq said the accounts of townspeople who witnessed the events were highly unlikely to be true, and they later said the incident didn't warrant further investigation. Military officials also refused to reveal which units might have been involved in the incident.

continued...

Read more: http://www.mcclatchydc.com/2011/08/31/122789/wikileaks-iraqi-children-in-us.html#ixzz1WfMsWVks

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• acidhead

• The Silver Thong

• Missile Punch

• aquatus1

At this point, I'm not going to talk about whether or not I believe it really happened this way... But I would like to know what reason the U.S. soldiers could POSSIBLY have to commit such a heinous act??

At this point, I'm not going to talk about whether or not I believe it really happened this way... But I would like to know what reason the U.S. soldiers could POSSIBLY have to commit such a heinous act??

The only reason I assume is that the person they were looking for wasn't there, but they had already killed people by the time they realized this and so they decided to kill the witnesses and destroyed the evidence.

The only reason I assume is that the person they were looking for wasn't there, but they had already killed people by the time they realized this and so they decided to kill the witnesses and destroyed the evidence.

Unless I misunderstood what I read, I think that it said they were met with gunfire when they arrived at the building. At that point I don't think that they would need to kill any witnesses. But of course I could be wrong.

Unless I misunderstood what I read, I think that it said they were met with gunfire when they arrived at the building. At that point I don't think that they would need to kill any witnesses. But of course I could be wrong.

They (the family) were also hand cuffed and shot in the head. The bombing of the site was to cover it up. So it states. I remember watching a video of something similar years ago but can not find nor would I post it.

They (the family) were also hand cuffed and shot in the head. The bombing of the site was to cover it up. So it states. I remember watching a video of something similar years ago but can not find nor would I post it.

Yes yes, I understand what was written in the article. But I'm still trying to wrap my head around WHY they would kill children and elderly civilians in the first place. Were they just completely insane? I'd like to think that they'd consider the mental status of potential military personnel before they enlist.

Yes yes, I understand what was written in the article. But I'm still trying to wrap my head around WHY they would kill children and elderly civilians in the first place. Were they just completely insane? I'd like to think that they'd consider the mental status of potential military personnel before they enlist.

Ever hear of Vietnam?

Ever hear of Vietnam?

No I never have heard of Vietnam, but regardless, I wasn't talking about Vietnam either.

Bad Intel, bad soldiers, heat of the moment, racisim, the fact they had a few buddies killed. The cable states they were handcuffed and shot in the head. The reason why is a guess. The real mystery is why it was covered up.

Edited by The Silver Thong

Lol at the Vietnam thing.

I wouldn't doubt this. I've heard many horror stories from active duty friends.

Bad Intel, bad soldiers, heat of the moment, racisim, the fact they had a few buddies killed. The cable states they were handcuffed and shot in the head. The reason why is a guess. The real mystery is why it was covered up.

Damn... War is an ugly thing.

Damn... War is an ugly thing.

Really ugly when the victim of war is innocent. Iraqi was innocent for the reasons America went to war with it. The war is more like a gang with ak47`s robbing a 7-11.

I did a little looking and found a video that may be this incident or something close to it. Will not post a link though.

Lol at the Vietnam thing.

I wouldn't doubt this. I've heard many horror stories from active duty friends.

You don`t have to doubt it.

No I never have heard of Vietnam, but regardless, I wasn't talking about Vietnam either.

:lol: Fair enough.

My point is that such violence against civilians has been legacy of our military actions long before Iraq. I certainly don't justify it or mean to gloss it over, however asking "why" seems to negate our military's history.

To the root of your question, I imagine the answer has been widely explored in academia. I suspect the psychology of military training coupled with the stresses of combat situations has a tendency to cause tragic indecents such as this. Although, as I truly don't wish to gloss the issue over, I'll suggest that the specific details of such indecents are much more complex than my synopsis.

Really ugly when the victim of war is innocent. Iraqi was innocent for the reasons America went to war with it. The war is more like a gang with ak47`s robbing a 7-11.

I did a little looking and found a video that may be this incident or something close to it. Will not post a link though.

I'm not going to pretend to know what's going on over there. I truly believe that the only people who really understand are the ones who are fighting, and apparently committing murder, over seas. Of course as an American, and if this is factual, I am ashamed that our military is taking part in such acts.

Edited by The Man In the Dark

:lol: Fair enough.

My point is that such violence against civilians has been legacy of our military actions long before Iraq. I certainly don't justify it or mean to gloss it over, however asking "why" seems to negate our military's history.

To the root of your question, I imagine the answer has been widely explored in academia. I suspect the psychology of military training coupled with the stresses of combat situations has a tendency to cause tragic indecents such as this. Although, as I truly don't wish to gloss the issue over, I'll suggest that the specific details of such indecents are much more complex than my synopsis.

You do know of course that I was joking about the Vietnam thing. My grandfather was one of the soldiers who was spit on upon return from Vietnam. Anyways, I agree with you're idea that the details are complex. Those soldiers may have had some serious psychological issues, or maybe they're just plain evil. Whatever the case, I just hope that it isn't as common as everyone claims it is.

anybody following Wikileaks in the news the last couple days will know that their encrypted passwords were published by the Guardian's, David Leigh who published the codes in a book recently. This wasn't part of their agreement... same b.s. different story from the New York Times(the toilet paper of record)... they're both no longer in Wikileaks good books so to speak. Much more cables.... much much more are due to be released any day. But I didn't mention this for those cables. The cables I, like many inquiring minds want to read are the 'insurance files' Assange has and only he and a handful of others know that encrypted code. Why do I anticipate these files? Because Assange has stated several times that these cables will change the whole world as we know it. BTW, for the record Assange has been held now in house arrest for 267 days. If he is extradited to Sweden the encrypted password will be released to all who have downloaded the files already via Bit Torrent.

Edited by acidhead

I'm not going to pretend to know what's going on over there. I truly believe that the only people who really understand are the ones who are fighting, and apparently committing murder, over seas. Of course as an American, and if this is factual, I am ashamed that our military is taking part in such acts.

You can learn alot as long as you don`t base what you know on the six o`clock news. I would not base everything just on who if on the ground says so. You have to look at who gives the orders the nature of a mission and what agenda it may have. The news will not tell you those things. The foot soldier knows very little except there mission. The soldier does not need to know why, they just need to do it.

These leaks are feared for a reason and if the leaks are feared there is a reason and it is usually due because it will put someones ass on the bbq.

Edited by The Silver Thong

anybody following Wikileaks in the news the last couple days will know that their encrypted passwords were published by the Guardian's, David Leigh who published the codes in a book recently. This wasn't part of their agreement... same b.s. different story from the New York Times(the toilet paper of record)... they're both no longer in Wikileaks good books so to speak. Much more cables.... much much more are due to be released any day. But I didn't mention this for those cables. The cables I, like many inquiring minds want to read are the 'insurance files' Assange has and only he and a handful of others know that encrypted code. Why do I anticipate these files? Because Assange has stated several times that these cables will change the whole world as we know it. BTW, for the record Assange has been held now in house arrest for 267 days. If he is extradited to Sweden the encrypted password will be released to all who have downloaded the files already via Bit Torrent.

I still don't know exactly what to make of the whole affair. I tend not to trust the Assange persona and motives.

So basicaly this is but a taste.

I still don't know exactly what to make of the whole affair. I tend not to trust the Assange persona and motives.

Dissension

WikiLeaks releases mystery file http://www.google.com/hostednews/afp/article/ALeqM5gD_TH7N_qZ87qCxbvmSShfQVdAzQ?docId=CNG.96f9ad25900131336388af4e36e3a985.1091

http://twitter.com/#!/wikileaks

WASHINGTON — WikiLeaks released a mysterious encrypted file on Wednesday after telling its followers on Twitter to stand by for "an important announcement."

WikiLeaks did not identify the contents of the 571 megabyte file and it could not be opened without a decryption key, which the anti-secrecy website said would be released "at the appropriate moment."

In July of last year, WikiLeaks posted what it called an "insurance file," which was also encrypted.

According to press reports, the 1.4-gigabyte file was intended for public release in the event of something untoward happening to WikiLeaks founder Julian Assange.

Assange is currently fighting extradition from Britain to Sweden where he is wanted to face questioning over allegations of rape and sexual assault.

The release of the latest mystery file comes just days after WikiLeaks published more than 130,000 US diplomatic cables from what it says is a cache of more than 251,000 documents.

Without confirming the authenticity of the latest documents, State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland said the United States "strongly condemns any illegal disclosure of classified information.

"In addition to damaging our diplomatic efforts, it puts individuals' security at risk, threatens our national security and undermines our effort to work with countries to solve shared problems," Nuland told reporters.

"We remain concerned about these illegal disclosures and about concerns and risks to individuals," she said.

The New York Times reported that the latest dump of 133,887 confidential and secret documents included many containing the names of sensitive sources who could be at risk of reprisals if they were known to be talking to US diplomats.

In a message on its Twitter page, however, WikiLeaks said it was "totally false" that any of its "sources have been exposed or will be exposed."

Copyright © 2011 AFP. All rights reserved. More »

Edited by acidhead

You can learn alot as long as you don`t base what you know on the six o`clock news. I would not base everything just on who if on the ground says so. You have to look at who gives the orders the nature of a mission and what agenda it may have. The news will not tell you those things. The foot soldier knows very little except there mission. The soldier does not need to know why, they just need to do it.

These leaks are feared for a reason and if the leaks are feared there is a reason and it is usually due because it will put someones ass on the bbq.

But even Wiki Leaks and the rest of the internet are susceptible to manipulation and misinformation... Regardless of where a story comes from it can always be changed. Probably one of the biggest problems with humans is lying, but at the same time it's probably one of our most powerful tools.

Holy crap Braddly Manning may not be the guy but the fall guy. Have to admit him as the fall guy was pretty stupid off the bat. I reserve the right to correct this comment though lol