Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Hearing voices when fan is on

Gohot

This 'thing' makes me wonder if I am on to something or its just mental. While I am at rest lying down and with my left ear to the pillow and my right ear exposed, And the fan going in the open window, I can most always hear what sounds like a newscast or an announcer talking in the background. The words are indistinct, in that I can only understand one in ten words, but the volume and inflection leads me to believe that it might be english. I'v never heard any other language. It sounds like from the tone and presentation, that it almost could be a comercial. How do I explain this. Well It only works if I'm listening with my right ear open to the room, as my left ear would be resting on a pillow and here's all I can come up with. These must be radio waves or something used as a medium for aditory transmisions of sound, and that perhaps the fan is somehow compressing these sound waves into an audible format. If the fan is of, so is the noise/voice's. The fan must be on, in low. It's quite annoying to hear this and not recognize a known language, but as I say, sometimes it sounds like fragments of english. English is my primary language.I never remember hearing this in the realm of music or anything other than voices. They sound as though maybe a TV program were on in the next room, just out of range. Am I nuts?

• Like 4

It's an auditory "hallucination".

Air rushes by the ear canal creating sounds but the brain wants it to be something recognizable so it tries to interpret the sounds thus we think we are hearing voices/music, etc.

Sometimes we may think we hear real words but it is just the brain trying to decipher wind noises. Happens to me sometimes..we're not nuts at all.

• Like 8

Air rushes by the ear canal creating sounds but the brain wants it to be something recognizable so it tries to interpret the sounds thus we think we are hearing voices/music, etc.

Sometimes we may think we hear real words but it is just the brain trying to decipher wind noises. Happens to me sometimes..we're not nuts at all.

I'v just got to sigh in relief, dang, I was thinking ......oh I don't know what I was thinking, but You hit it right on the head. As for only one for me, it's because I have a 'good' ear and a not so good ear hearing volume-wise. so that would likely account for the one side only part.

• Like 1

:tsu::clap::yes::nw:

• 2 weeks later...

Hearing noises when the fan is running is a common way our brain misidentifies sound. This usually happens because our brains always try to "interpret" sounds we hear into recognizable images/thoughts. I usually have the same thing happen to me when I'm lying in bed, since I always sleep with my fan on, and I swear that sometimes it almost sounds like the TV is on in the other room! :mellow::sleepy:

just to be the devils advocate here, maybe through the white noise you are hearing the other side and its goings on.

just to be the devils advocate here, maybe through the white noise you are hearing the other side and its goings on.

Our home fans an interdimensional gateway to the other side, who would've thought. :lol:

I wonder where my vacuum cleaner will take me. :rofl:

• Like 2

Aw, I was hoping for some clever explanation involving metal fan covers and radio waves mixing with the fast turning of a fan blade, and the like. <_<

Our home fans an interdimensional gateway to the other side, who would've thought. :lol:

I wonder where my vacuum cleaner will take me. :rofl:

lolz :lol: omg you made my day!

Edited by gnostic-deity

Demonic ceiling fan.......

• Like 3

Demonic ceiling fan.......

Holy crap! Did not see that coming! :lol:

• 3 years later...

I try to sleep with the fan on for white noise. Last night I got up and turned it off about 8 times cause the voices kept me awake. So it was a sleepless night. I googled this morning and found this sight. I was so relieved. I thought I was going nuts. Thank you so much people. I want to cry. I'm so relieved. Thank you

• Like 5

I try to sleep with the fan on for white noise. Last night I got up and turned it off about 8 times cause the voices kept me awake. So it was a sleepless night. I googled this morning and found this sight. I was so relieved. I thought I was going nuts. Thank you so much people. I want to cry. I'm so relieved. Thank you

If fan-noise makes you wonky, try getting a white noise generator. They literally just produce white noise, with no swishing. It might help you have the background noise without messing with your brainpan.

And the fan going in the open window,

They call them stalkers from where I come from. :whistle:

• Like 1

Thanks Podo. What kind of store would I get a noise generator I brought the Fan down to the living room and used a smaller fan and I just waiting to ear one of the Lollipop guys(the Wizard of Oz lol get it smaller fan smaller noises

Could simply be AFLC or 'Ripple Signals' coming through your power supply - fan motors often give a strange but gentle murmuring or growling sound when these signals occur (they will usually, but not always, be on the hour and half hour..).

More here, and a technical reference PDF file here...

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

I registered just to comment on this subject. I hope it helps someone.. I had just wrote this for a different site I have a topic on so I copied it here.

I seemed to have stopped the talking fan by deleting all the media entries named "radio" in the registry of my laptop.

It doesn't explain some things such as..

1) When my daughter came in from work it would always start. I think her iPhone was it. When she left it would not always stop. Sometimes would continue for days.

2) The registry entries said "analog Radio" and I heard channel 4 news distinctly. Along with talk, music, preaching etc.

A month ago U-Verse lost all power over a couple of states. It was at that time I heard the silence and normal hum of the fan. This helped in understanding the source.

I kept deleting Bluetooth entries but they would return on next boot. It has been 48 hours of quiet since deleting "radio".

If anyone should stumble on this later give this a try if you don't care about media center. Delete all radio entries but NOT the radio Buttons for IE explorer and Windows Explorer. They say Type=Radio. And export before deleating..

I am glad for now at least, it is quiet in our house!

Edited by Netlace
  • Like 3

I'm just feeling this one...intuitively.

In the field of paranormal research, there's a technique I use called ITC (Instrumental Trans Communication). It's basically "we talk to dead people".

It is believed that 'spirit voices' can only be heard through a masking sound like that of running water, or a fan...or why ghosts need a frequency to come through on a ghost box....

If a person is sensitive and has high awareness, they can hear these sounds (some believe they can).

That's the 'party line' anyway,

Sometimes I hear a 'sound' like a song playing through a fan or heater, maybe catch a snip of a voice, but it's so distant, faint and totally inaudible that it could also be the whir of its motor on my weary mind.

Edited by The Necromancer
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

This 'thing' makes me wonder if I am on to something or its just mental. While I am at rest lying down and with my left ear to the pillow and my right ear exposed, And the fan going in the open window, I can most always hear what sounds like a newscast or an announcer talking in the background. The words are indistinct, in that I can only understand one in ten words, but the volume and inflection leads me to believe that it might be english. I'v never heard any other language. It sounds like from the tone and presentation, that it almost could be a comercial. How do I explain this. Well It only works if I'm listening with my right ear open to the room, as my left ear would be resting on a pillow and here's all I can come up with. These must be radio waves or something used as a medium for aditory transmisions of sound, and that perhaps the fan is somehow compressing these sound waves into an audible format. If the fan is of, so is the noise/voice's. The fan must be on, in low. It's quite annoying to hear this and not recognize a known language, but as I say, sometimes it sounds like fragments of english. English is my primary language.I never remember hearing this in the realm of music or anything other than voices. They sound as though maybe a TV program were on in the next room, just out of range. Am I nuts?

Nope, your not nuts! I may be, but hey. I have heard voices coming from fans before. I could not make out the words but it was language. I even shut off the fan to see if I could hear the same thing. Nothing! Turned it back on and the sounds came back. I didn't make anything of it but maybe the fan blade, with the uniqueness of that person (ears.) you were able to pick something up! It does make you wonder!

-Sunny.

• Like 1

Sometimes when I am bored, I go round my neighbours houses in the early hours of the morning and whisper spooky things to them through their bedroom windows. Drives them nuts!They think there is a un-balanced maniac stalking the village! Wait a minute......

• Like 2

You may be nuts. That's cause I don't know you!

I have heard voices at times from fans. But it's probably something logical that makes sense. As far as you being nut's. Let's be safe at saying your not!

I'm just saying though!

-Sunny.

• 2 months later...

It's so weird you guys have this too! I found that if you read something while the fan is on you can sorta make out that it's saying your thoughts! The noise you hear is you! Lol but it's very fast talking and you have to think what your saying don't say it out loud

Edited by Weirdthings

I find it fascinating that everyone who hears these sounds is apparently incapable of reading the thread, or at least acknowledging one potential explanation.

I was going to take the time to do a recording of these sounds, but clearly no-one here (as on previous threads) is interested in anything but a paranormal explanation.

• Like 2