Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Artificial food made from human DNA

Still Waters

We may not have the appetite for human-derived gelatin but it has its health benefits, says Andrew Marszal .

Reports last week that researchers could be just six months away from producing the world’s first artificial meat, using thousands of stem cells bred in a laboratory, sent a wave of fascination around the world.Yet there is an even more ghoulish prospect ahead: the idea of eating artificial food made from humans.

This may sound like science fiction, yet a new technique for making gelatin from human DNA is attracting “increasing interest from research and industrial circles”, according to a new study by scientists from the Beijing University of Chemical Technology. The paper, published recently in the Journal of Agriculture and Food Chemistry, revealed that successful experiments had been carried out in which human genes were inserted into a strain of yeast to “grow” large amounts of recombinant (genetically engineered) human gelatin.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Abramelin

• crystal sage

• WoIverine

• xYlvax

mmmmmmmm any one for a slice of soylent green ?????

or even a nice juicy long pig steak ??? :innocent::innocent:

At the moment I post this, these 3 threads are below eachother:

*Artificial food made from human DNA

*Spare human body parts could be grown in labs

*First artificial burger to cost £250,000

:w00t:

I feel really uneasy - no one imagined mad cow's disease would come about the way it did either, don't like it - can't even feel safe if I turned Vegan now :blink:

I feel really uneasy - no one imagined mad cow's disease would come about the way it did either, don't like it - can't even feel safe if I turned Vegan now :blink:

You now may want to start a diet consisting of onions, carrots, broccoli, apples, potatoes, beans, cheese, and so on (maybe even eggs and milk), and within a couple of years some scientist will tell you you ate nothing but poison.

But I have known old guys who always ate something resembling rocket fuel and lived to a ripe old age.

Edited by Abramelin

There you have it, Soylent Green indeed!

We have bred like locusts till we finally hit 7 billion.

There is no doubt in my mind that if necessary, we will start eating eachother at some point.

After those 'others' died a peaceful death, of course.

Then their bodies will be transformed into something unrecognizable - like those pieces of cow meat we see in the super markets - and we will buy it, fry it, eat it, and don't give it a second thought.

We have bred like locusts till we finally hit 7 billion.

There is no doubt in my mind that if necessary, we will start eating eachother at some point.

After those 'others' died a peaceful death, of course.

Then their bodies will be transformed into something unrecognizable - like those pieces of cow meat we see in the super markets - and we will buy it, fry it, eat it, and don't give it a second thought.

Now that's a scary thought, kind of like zombies...but without the mindlessness, coordination problems, and...grey skin tones? Well, the mindlessness part is questionable at best, haha :unsure2:

Edited by Spid3rCyd3

But could you get specifc human? Like the lobster tank...I got a couple ex-husbands I wouldn't mind BBQing.

this feels like verrry wrong to me. But this i feel like it wouldn't be long until it fall into less legal activities. Like killing all the poor and people who doesn't fit into the sheep world and transform them into ''getalin based food'' Okay it's a little far fetched and sci-fy ish, but with earth's humans we never know!

And 2nd, why human gelatin? I mean our race did eat plants and animals since the 1rst humanoid and we are doing well. The biggest reason why our food are so full of virus and disease are primarily because of the way we treat them and the awe-full way they life in corporate farms. And the fact that our immune system is often weak because of our sterile lifestyles; aka Why we have more and more kids with allergies.

Edited by Bildr

WTF?!!

This reminds me of some books I've before. Where nutrient and vitamin filled gelatin became the only things humans needed to survive, besides water and such. So they didn't see the need in growing crops. Although scientists are in the early stages, I say with a hundred years or so, if we haven't killed ourselves by then, we could be in similar circumstances or similar. Especially once or if we're able to colonize other planets and/or moons where these types of things are the only way to sustain ourselves.

Slowly, we are converting into cannibal (if they could grow a human hands & leg from a tiny DNA)

Yes, I was wondering that. . .If they are using human DNA, doesn't that sort of make like cannibalism? :o

I think that things like this are amazing! It's great that humans won't have to leech off of the Earth in what could very well be a short period of time. I mean, things do run out and we've been at the threat of that for quite a while now (so who knows when it will actually be a problem), but if we're able to make things that are completely artificial, we wouldn't have to worry about that.

I like the Donner Party analogy......quite good. It does not have to be human DNA, does it? Could it not be Cattle or Pig DNA? Really....this sounds like a "Faux" news story to me. Take an once of truth, add 8 ounces of opinion and another 7 ounces of sensationalism.

"I'll take spiced caucasian with that "Asian Experience" platter on the side."

Bleh. As long as I can get mine in spicey-chicken flavor. Nomnomnomnomnom.

Good point on the DNA though. Why not just whip up some cloned pork instead?

Or anything else that we're used to for that matter?

(Answer: Because, as a story, it wouldn't get the same reaction.)