Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

House of Leaves

Average Fallacy

*Typo in title. It's House of Leaves

Okay, so this book is one that is often labeled as "horror" and rightfully so at some points. House of Leaves contains two things: the transcription of a dead blind man's work and the "journal" of a man's journey into madness. Has anyone else read this novel and if so, what do you think of it? Overrated or underrated? Also, which edition did you read? I read the full color edition, which included all of the released bonus material, like the letters written to Truant by his mother that was institutionalized. Very interesting and eerie read.

Edited by Average Fallacy
  • Like 1

*Typo in title. It's House of Leaves

Fixed :)

I love, love, LOVE this book. It's one that always inspires me to write afterwards.

I'd disagree that it only contains two stories, though. It follows three - the story of the photographer, his house and his family; the blind man's journals; and the narrator's descent into madness. But the stories, oddly enough, aren't at all separate. I don't know many people who have read it and I haven't read too many reviews so I really can't know if it's overrated or underrated. It's definitely not a book that just anybody can read, however. I think it's one of those that takes a rare, special person to fully appreciate. I, too, read the full color version that my boyfriend at the time bought for me. :) We bond over that book even now that we've broken up.

• 2 weeks later...

But Zampano's writings was the story of the photographer and his family in that house. So, I think that those things can be grouped together.

Regardless, House of Leaves really is a stunning book, and a fantastic example of typography. Not enough authors that their art to that level and what was done with House of Leaves was very impressive. It gave the book a disjointed, eerie sort of feel. I adore it on a visual aspect, as it's easy to do, but from a literary stand point, the voices of the characters is poignant and the writing is eloquent and believable. It's definitely one of my favorite novels.

I read it years ago. Thought it was genius. Forgotten about it until now. Thanks for reminding me.

If you liked this book, you should also check out "Raw Shark Texts" by Steven Hall.

It's not as disorienting as House of Leaves, but it's somewhat similar, and a great creative and original story..

cheers!

• 1 year later...

Loved 'Houseof Leaves' especially the Navidson Record parts. I still have dreams that start with being in "The Five and a Half Minute Hallway" and the corridors and rooms keep changing.