Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Werewolf

Shay255

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shay255

• NatureBoff

• Rat Girl

• Sir Wearer of Hats

When was the last time a wolf was spotted in New York state? Wiki says that there are coyotes, but no wolves.

I suspect since both stories happen in the same place, (Right?) that this is one dog, seen twice, years apart. Probably a neighbors dog, that has claimed that property as his. Dogs will defend what they think is theirs.

I don't think there is enough in the stories to say this is werewolves, or anything supernatural.

It happened in 2 places not 1

thats true

The yellow eyes are only a feature that I've heard connected with the Michigan area, at least in the last few years that I remember. Is the location somewhere near? Is there a connection there do you think? Could the yellow eyes be a local phenomenon of a U.S. wide clever cryptid?

Edit: Okay, you said "Niskayuna ny" for the first sighting, which did have yellow eyes as well as yellow teeth, I take it? That's not too far from Michigan for the local yellow eye color to have travelled. Thanks for sharing your story

Edited by tailormaneinafog

When was the last time a wolf was spotted in New York state?

Its not beyond the realms of possibility. Its certainly more likely than it being a werewolf! There are zoos, probably even private owners (I know someone who used to have a 'pet' wolf) but it is more likely that it was a big wolfy looking dog. But still, even a real wolf is more likely than a werewolf or a dog-man ;)

Also, yellow teeth? Means nothing, not anything supernatural. I used to work in vet nursing, I saw a fair few dogs with yellow teeth, even some with brown :P

Edited by Rat Girl

Its not beyond the realms of possibility. Its certainly more likely than it being a werewolf! There are zoos, probably even private owners (I know someone who used to have a 'pet' wolf) but it is more likely that it was a big wolfy looking dog. But still, even a real wolf is more likely than a werewolf or a dog-man ;)

Also, yellow teeth? Means nothing, not anything supernatural. I used to work in vet nursing, I saw a fair few dogs with yellow teeth, even some with brown :P

It had yellow eyes white teeth

The yellow eyes are only a feature that I've heard connected with the Michigan area, at least in the last few years that I remember. Is the location somewhere near? Is there a connection there do you think? Could the yellow eyes be a local phenomenon of a U.S. wide clever cryptid?

Edit: Okay, you said "Niskayuna ny" for the first sighting, which did have yellow eyes as well as yellow teeth, I take it? That's not too far from Michigan for the local yellow eye color to have travelled. Thanks for sharing your story

It was in Schenectady newyork

Edit :

Not a constructive reply on my part......Self deleted.

Edited by Sakari

German Shepherd -

portrait8.jpg

Common everywhere.

Nibs

This German Shephard has yellow eyes....

And probably white teeth...

Edited by DieChecker

There are dogs with yellow eyes, and I've seen several wolf/dog mixes and they had them as well. When I was a kid a friend who lived down the road from me had a gorgeous wolf/dog mix that was completely black with very bright yellow eyes. So there's nothing supernatural about any of those features.

Edited by ~TheBigK~

You won't get an ounce of sympathy here Shay. They'll never give in to anything other than "it must have been a dog, because otherwise science would have found another species by now"

You won't get an ounce of sympathy here Shay. They'll never give in to anything other than "it must have been a dog, because otherwise science would have found another species by now"

Nooo....it must have been a dog because there is nothing in the description to suggest otherwise. Thats really all it is.

It was all black tho solid black

So? It could have been wolf-dog mix as I mentioned in the post right above yours. There was one right down the road from me that looked exactly like what you mentioned. It wasn't the nicest fella either. But it was still a pet and all it was, was a mix breed.

And wolves can be black too:

black-wolf%255B1%255D.jpeg

Occam's Razor

one should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything

Let me apply a dose of reality to your post:

Stupidity won't get an ounce of sympathy here Shay. They'll never give in to anything other than verifiable evidence

And then I'll give you a definition - evidence is something that cannot be debunked by a more viable factor. It's big. And black. And looks like a wolf. It's a big black wolf.

Not saying you're stupid Shay, the opposite in fact, your recollections are vivid and it's clear your memory is good and your mind open. But people pushing stupid ideas, crass and poorly thought though grind the gears of a lot of people here.

Edited by Wearer of Hats

So? It could have been wolf-dog mix as I mentioned in the post right above yours. There was one right down the road from me that looked exactly like what you mentioned. It wasn't the nicest fella either. But it was still a pet and all it was, was a mix breed.

That fur is really nice on that wolf, must be good for hunting.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, lovely animal. Great shot as well

The thing is it was no dog and the wolf was alone. I have been to my aunts old house plenty of times. I never saw the thing again. Same goes for the 2nd sighting. Maybe it is just me. I just feel like it is not a dog. I mean if it was a wolf population then I would see wolfs all around the area. So I don't know what it is. My guess werewolf but I could be wrong

Actually it could have been a wild dog. There's a healthy population of wild dogs in most of NY actually and there are a lot of big furry Alaskan type dogs out there that are descended from wolf stock. If I saw a big, stray black dog with huskie traits I might think it was a wolf. There are some pretty big dog breeds out there.

At one point when I lived in NYC there was a feral pack roaming Central Park and there were several reports of a "wolf" that went around. Turned out to be a husky type dog that for some reason was bigger than average. They eventually caught most of them, but even now there is a small feral population of dogs there. It's a convenient place for some people to dump unwanted pets, and dogs that grow too big for apartments they get dumped a lot. The shelters, they sometimes charge and arm and a leg to take a dog. People can't always afford it so they dump their pets on the side of the road.

Then again what you saw might have just been a wolf. Most of NY state used to be packed with wolves a few hundred years back and people still breed half wolf dogs. Supposedly full wolves they're not there any longer, but I think some wolves are smarter than the people who want to catch and tag them and that there may be a few still left here and there.

Really nice wolf there.

Actually it could have been a wild dog. There's a healthy population of wild dogs in most of NY actually and there are a lot of big furry Alaskan type dogs out there that are descended from wolf stock. If I saw a big, stray black dog with huskie traits I might think it was a wolf. There are some pretty big dog breeds out there.

At one point when I lived in NYC there was a feral pack roaming Central Park and there were several reports of a "wolf" that went around. Turned out to be a husky type dog that for some reason was bigger than average. They eventually caught most of them, but even now there is a small feral population of dogs there. It's a convenient place for some people to dump unwanted pets, and dogs that grow too big for apartments they get dumped a lot. The shelters, they sometimes charge and arm and a leg to take a dog. People can't always afford it so they dump their pets on the side of the road.

Then again what you saw might have just been a wolf. Most of NY state used to be packed with wolves a few hundred years back and people still breed half wolf dogs. Supposedly full wolves they're not there any longer, but I think some wolves are smarter than the people who want to catch and tag them and that there may be a few still left here and there.

Do you think that maybe it was a strange canine out of the ordinary I mean yea maybe just a wolf but if it was a wolf or some kind of dog then there would be a population of them in the area. I have been around my aunts house for a long time and never saw the thing again

have you actively looked for them though? By this I mean, I have lived in Alaska for nearly 10 years now. It is a state known for its wildlife Wolves, bears, lynx, moose, and etc. The only animals I have seen without being in the deep woods are moose this is because like deer everywhere they are desensitized to man. I have never seen a wolf a bear or a lynx in a populated area but this does not mean that they are not here.

Edited by grendille