Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Moon older than Earth?

Burgundy Johnson

i read a book a little while ago called "alien agenda" by someone ill find the author and repost but it had a theory in it that maybe the moon is some sort of alien satellite that was flown into earths orbit...he proposed a lot of evidence to support this, such as the moon's composition being a lot of metal, (can't vouch for that fact) and that the moons rock is older than the earth according to tests done. now if the moon is older than the earth by some 7 billion years, that means that the moon was not there when the earth was formed, therefore ruling out the theory that the moon is part of the earth just broken off when a planet collided. now scientists have calculated that the possibility of the moon entering earth's gravity at just the right speed (if it had gone too fast, bang, if it had gone too slow, goodbye moon) at just the right spot to enter our orbit and stay with us all these years is virtually impossible. now the author of the book that i read brought out a theory that aliens live in the moon and fly it around like a spaceship, as there have been sightings of things moving on the moon (supposedly) and that they are studying us from afar.

any thoughts on this? i'd appreciate your input! thumbsup.gif

• Replies 148
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Total Science

• Four Winds

• TheSearcher

• BurnSide

We don't know the age of the earth or the moon. That's baloney.

It's not that the moon is older than the Earth it just doesn't have a system of renewal. The Earth's crust goes through a very slow system of the mantle being forced down into the earth where it becomes lava, renewing its geological age. While cracks release lava which then slowly pushes the top mantle underneath. Then the the new crust(when the lava dries) has a geologically young age.

Ha, My wrath is everywhere! grin2.gif

I read many theroies most dont wash. One was that hole (we call Pacific Ocean) was once filled and that is Moon. No Moon is result of same Big Bang that made entire Solar System is still best theory

The reason the rocks of the moon seem to be older than the Earth's rocks (7 billion?) is because the moon is a "dead" world, it has no tectonic activity (volcanic, plate movement, subsurface subduction, etc), no active weather to wear away the rock, no free liquid water to wear away the rock, etc. The Earth has all of that, plus mankind and other life that impacts the surface rocks. Any of Earth's original rocks would have been worn away, melted by volcanic actions, and so forth millions and billions of years ago. As for the metal richness, stop and think, the Moon's mother planet (Earth) isn't exactly metal poor....I think the author of that book is just another twilight zone wacko, nothing more! rolleyes.gif

The reason the rocks of the moon seem to be older than the Earth's rocks (7 billion?) is because the moon is a "dead" world, it has no tectonic activity (volcanic, plate movement, subsurface subduction, etc), no active weather to wear away the rock, no free liquid water to wear away the rock, etc.  The Earth has all of that, plus mankind and other life that impacts the surface rocks.  Any of Earth's original rocks would have been worn away, melted by volcanic actions, and so forth millions and billions of years ago.  As for the metal richness, stop and think, the Moon's mother planet (Earth) isn't exactly metal poor....I think the author of that book is just another twilight zone wacko, nothing more! rolleyes.gif

253728[/snapback]

That's what I said just not as fancy.

Ha my wrath is unstoppable! tongue.gif

I was under the general assumption that the moon was part of the earth, like all moons, created when a large asteroid collided with the earth during it's early stages of development and ended up where it is now. The moon, being outside the earths atmosphere, did not form, and stayed were it was, while the earth formed into what we are now because of the gasses creating an atmosphere.

I was under the general assumption that the moon was part of the earth, like all moons, created when a large asteroid collided with the earth during it's early stages of development and ended up where it is now

Astronomy is not my forte, but my undrstanding is that what you said is the major theory of the moon's creation. huh.gif

earth approx 4.55 billion years old

mostly they talk about the earth-moon system, which mean they guess that they have the same age

I was under the general assumption that the moon was part of the earth, like all moons, created when a large asteroid collided with the earth during it's early stages of development and ended up where it is now. The moon, being outside the earths atmosphere, did not form, and stayed were it was, while the earth formed into what we are now because of the gasses creating an atmosphere.

I agree with Burnys, if you watch The Planets documentry by the BCC it explains the creation of the moon and planets

Not to mention the universe is an estimated 5 billion years old. How could we have a 7 billion year old moon?

Not to mention the universe is an estimated 5 billion years old. How could we have a 7 billion year old moon?

Actually, the Universe is 13 billion yrs old..

How about we all just build a massive space craft and all go to the moon to make sure its not an alien ship or monitoring station!

Actually, the Universe is 13 billion yrs old..

Mmmm, not 13 billion and 1? but 13 billion exactly. whistling2.gif

These figures are a incredibly broad and rough estimate.

These figures are a incredibly broad and rough estimate.

Not THAT broad or rough. It's one thing to affirm that the Universe is 13 billion years old, give or take 0.5 billion, and another to say that it could be 13 billion years old but, hey, give or take 6 billion yrs and therefore it's 7 yrs old. tongue.gif

there is similar topic in the mysteries of space time thingy called the space ship moon somethin, good story huh? anyway, is the moon a spaceship? no doubt it. is it part of the earth? no there is evidence to prove that it is not. is it older than the earth? maybe, maybe not. am I being incredibly vauge and unhelpful? yes. the point is that we can only estimate the age of our universe by looking for distant light waves, and listening for refracted radio waves. it provides a very general estimate (currently at 13 billion years) but as technology gets better our estimate keeps going up.

Thanks Doomie.

Sourpatchkid, what evidence is there to support the fact that the moon was not at some point part of the earth? Could you source that information?

No, it would not. The Moon was detached in an early stage of the earths creation. Fill a bowl with melted chocolate. If you tke a huge scoop of the melted chocolate from one side of the bowl, the rest of teh chocolate will slowly fill in the hole.

Besides, most of the earth is water. If you take water from the side of a fishtank, does that side of the fishtank stay empty while the other side stays full? Of course not.

If you drained the earth of all water you'd probably find it looks nothing like a round rock, more like a pine cone. The moon could have come from anywhere on earth.

Not to mention the universe is an estimated 5 billion years old.  How could we have a 7 billion year old moon?

254343[/snapback]

Christ! This is the guy that was gloating about being increddibly smart in the field of astronomy and having 5 unpublished theories!

Earth has been estimated at 4 billion - how could the universe be 5 billion? I think it's a bit older than that.

Not to mention the universe is an estimated 5 billion years old.  How could we have a 7 billion year old moon?

254343[/snapback]

Well the age of the universe is between 13 and 15 billion years old depending on who you ask...13.5 was the latest number that I have seen but it seems to fudge back and forth 500 million or so every few years as new data is available...

The latest theory on the moon is that it was a very large chunck of debris(Meteor/small mars sized planet...) that hit the earth early on in its development; the debris scraped off a chunk of earth as it spun off and finally fell into the orbit that we now have. The testing of the rocks that were brought back from the moon were found to have trace minerals and chemicals that were only found on earth; there were also rocks that had material that was only found on the moon...I gather that they looked at the high content of earth specific material found on the moon and put together the giant impact theory

Nasa has some good info on this if anyone is interest: Link

Sorry everyone, I got the age of the solar system mixed up with the age of the universe. crying.gifsad.gifcrying.gif

People may also think the moon is older because the number of craters on the moon compared to the earth, but I know it is from geological activity and the atmosphere on earth destroying the metiors before they hit or erasing there impact crators, I'm not THAT dumb, REALLY! wink2.gif

Edited by nigelvrm

Sorry everyone, I got the age of the solar system mixed up with the age of the universe. crying.gif  sad.gif  crying.gif

People may also think the moon is older because the number of craters on the moon compared to the earth, but I know it is from geological activity and the atmosphere on earth destroying the metiors before they hit or erasing there impact crators, I'm not THAT dumb, REALLY! wink2.gif

255522[/snapback]

You havent heard that the Moon also serves as a kind of sheild for the Earth? It pulls away some asteroids from impacting Earth.