Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Loch Ness monster

Dan Dare

Fish farmer claims to have captured picture of Loch Ness monster.

What do you think it might be?

*Snip*

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2036998/Thats-fine-Ness-youve-got-Fish-farmer-claims-saw-loch-monster-says-photos-prove-it.html

Dan Dare

Edited by Still Waters
Removed copyrighted image from post. The image can be viewed in source link.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• _Only

• Abramelin

• Skeptic Chicken

• Rafterman

It could have been a fish. There are Sturgeon in that lake and those could have been some of its back ridges. You can tell from the scale of the pic that whatever it is is not very big.

Looks pretty fake to me, but it's hard to tell one way or the other due to the poor quality of the images.

I'd be interested in an expert's take on where the sunlight would have to come from to make the rainbow vs the shadows of the humps pointing back toward the photographer.

The light source is at ten o'clock, except for 'Nessie's' humps, which are lit from three o'clock. Clever, these lake monsters.

It could have been a fish. There are Sturgeon in that lake and those could have been some of its back ridges. You can tell from the scale of the pic that whatever it is is not very big.

What scale?

Porlock is quite correct,the light on the objects does not match the direction of sunlight that made the rainbow.

The humps are very sharp,not rounded as Nessie has been depicted. Anyway that old photo has been admitted as a fake,so what is the shape of the monster.Since no two photos seem to be of the same being it follows that there are many different monsters. Well LOL

Coming from a 3 generation fishing family and having been raised as a kid to take over the family business before it stopped I can tell you it looks very much like a large Eel, I have in fact seen them much like them in my local creek. Eels go everywhere man XD

The light looks fine to me. Humps match the waves. The rainbow does not have to be straight on to appear the way it does.

Critter does look kind of small to me too. Just a guess, but like 3 to 4 feet long?? The humps definately are sticking out of the water. Might be a sturgeon, I guess, but a deformed one. Resolution is not too good. Looks like it could be a water-logged piece of wood, or maybe even an Otter. I've heard there are otters in Lock Ness.

The light looks fine to me. Humps match the waves. The rainbow does not have to be straight on to appear the way it does.

Critter does look kind of small to me too. Just a guess, but like 3 to 4 feet long?? The humps definately are sticking out of the water. Might be a sturgeon, I guess, but a deformed one. Resolution is not too good. Looks like it could be a water-logged piece of wood, or maybe even an Otter. I've heard there are otters in Lock Ness.

Yeah, I also thought it was some floating tree trunk.

If it's long enough and keeps rolling over, it will look like some huge swimming animal from a distance.

5039050049_7f758a364c.jpg

Edited by Abramelin

I believe that Sturgeon are known to occasionally frequent Loch Ness. It has been suggested, in the past, that they could be responsible for some of the sightings of Nessie. They can grow to a big old size and are funny looking buggers, so I guess this could be what's in the photo.

http://www.lochnessproject.org/adrian_shine_archiveroom/papershtml/loch_ness_surgeon_sturgeon.htm

Apologies to Grey14 who seems to have beaten me to it and already suggested Sturgeon. I really should read the comments before I post!

Edited by Nufc1966

1. Photographs of weird shapes in the water doesn't indicate the presence of a loch ness monster.

2. Looks fake.

Just because a photot of strange shapes LOOKS like somthing dosnt indicate the presence of a monster in the loch.....also he could of spruced it up with some photoshop it looks unrealistic

If there is a monster in the Loch would it not have depleted the fish by now! Just a thought

Maybe it's herbivorous or omniviorous? Living in a compact environment like that, it could adapt to nomming on the usual reed like other fish :P (I don't know what fish eat :P)

ummm since when did a sturgeon get a long skinny neck? that comes out of the water like a dino?

Edited by cateyes221981

I agree with the scientists. Honestly if it's too questionable to call it real, throw it out. Wishful thinking, and would be awesome to find out the truth, but Lake Loch has been swept a LOT, and if there was something, it would have been found by now.

NOW, that's not to say the swimming beast couldn't be somewhere else.... :)

ummm since when did a sturgeon get a long skinny neck? that comes out of the water like a dino?

When did that happen??

When did that happen??

They're referring to the original famous photo of Loch Ness monster; not this one in the thread.

And sorry to go a wee bit off topic, but someone said earlier that the old Nessie picture has been revealed as a fake? I hadn't heard about that; any links? Very intriguing.

*edit* - I see what they were referring to about the hoax after a quick Wikipedia read. Never knew that.

Also never knew that in 2003, the BBC held a monster hunt to end all monster hunts to find it in the Loch Ness, and found nothing there.

In 2003, the BBC sponsored a full search of the Loch using 600 separate sonar beams and satellite tracking. The search had enough resolution to pick up a small buoy. No animal of any substantial size was found whatsoever and despite high hopes, the scientists involved in the expedition admitted that this essentially proved the Loch Ness monster was only a myth.

Well, I learned a few things today.

Edited by Jerry Only

They're referring to the original famous photo of Loch Ness monster; not this one in the thread.

And sorry to go a wee bit off topic, but someone said earlier that the old Nessie picture has been revealed as a fake? I hadn't heard about that; any links? Very intriguing.

*edit* - I see what they were referring to about the hoax after a quick Wikipedia read. Never knew that.

Also never knew that in 2003, the BBC held a monster hunt to end all monster hunts to find it in the Loch Ness, and found nothing there.

Well, I learned a few things today.

Ah yes, this photo:

15122014456f4d704478136cddbbdd65loch2.jpg

And yes, I even saw a documentary on Discovery Channel a long time ago where they showed how the hoax was created: they used a similar model - the head and neck of the 'dino' and part of its body, nailed on a plank - and let it float on the lake, and then made a photo.

The photo was exactly the same as the famous one.

I think the original 'Dino' photo was pretty much shown to be a fake, in fact, I'm sure the Doctor who took the photo in the 30s admitted as much to his family - I'll need to check the details on that. There have been a number of investigations of Loch Ness over the years using water penetrating radar instruments etc and there has never been anything of any size found. Although Loch Ness is a huge lake, it doesn't have a great population of fish and I think the common consent is that there would not be enough food to support what would really need to be a family of 'Dino' creatures. As far as sturgeon go, they can be big and very strange looking with what appear to be lumps across the back so I could see why a large Sturgeon could be mistaken for some kind of Monster. Don't get me wrong, I'd be delighted If Nessie were real, but I think the investigations over many years by both scientist and monster hunters have shown that it's very very unlikely.

Edited by Nufc1966