Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Moving Orbs On Video

sbianchino

Regardless of how well you keep your place in spotless condition there will be dust in the air from a variety of sources. One of the most underrated causes believe it or not is skin shedding. The average human sheds 7 lbs. of skin a year surprisingly enough. Dander can also be found with pets. Unless you have a clean room from Intel, there is no way in avoiding particulate in the air.

Orbs traditionally came into the spotlight once inexpensive digital point and shoot camera became a mainstream product. The lens is situated almost directly below the flash and particulate is easily illuminated resembling a spherical nature because of the convex lens.

I own professional camera equipment costing thousand of dollars and once I moved to off camera flash, almost all orbs disappeared. As mentioned it's the physics of design that create this enigma but can be easily explained once you understand how a camera really works. Mind you, I have come across a situation where I watched a self illuminated orb meander among several tombstones with a three foot tail only to disappear after several seconds. I was holding an audio recorder at the time and my camera gal was facing the opposite direction once this occurred.

Scientist speculate the phenomena I observed as possible swamp gas being illuminated or a mild form of ball lightning. I believe that phenomena needs to be examined with natural causes FIRST and implication of paranomal should always be a last thought. This is what separates credible thinking to the xenonormal.

Term from ASSAP

QUOTE (Association for the Scientific Study of Anomalous Phenomena)

It would be helpful if there was a term for events that, in certain circumstances, resemble the paranormal, even though they are not. They can be called 'xenonormal'. This means 'foreign normal' ; in other words 'the unfamiliar but natural'. In many cases, witnesses to apparent paranormal events (and sometimes even the researchers!) are simply unfamiliar with a purely natural phenomenon.

The xenonormal covers not only rare, exotic phenomena but also some common ones (that were simply unfamiliar to particular witnesses). If someone hears odd noises in their house that they cannot explain, they might report it as a ghost, even though a plumber would know what is was immediately. Similarly, a witness unfamiliar with the planet Venus, might report it as a UFO, whereas an astronomer would never do so.

. . .

It is clear that any paranormal researcher must have a good knowledge of the xenonormal, otherwise they will waste a lot of time chasing the normal. It is, therefore, important that we study the xenonormal as a separate subject within paranormal research. We need to know how orbs are produced, for instance, so that we can explain them in every possible situation when they are found. We need to understand how apparent voices can appear on sound recordings from natural causes to eliminate them from EVP studies. Although the xenonormal may not seem as exciting as the paranormal, it is vital that it is studied and understood by researchers. Otherwise paranormal research will spend another century getting not very far.

I hope this helps......

Lastly you might view me as a complete skeptic but I have come across several collective experiences that exhaust logical thinking primarily in audio. I'm not sure that visual experiences can be equated normally. I often wonder if these illusions are created telepathically. I've encountered situations where multiple investigators have encountered identical experiences yet they fail to be recorded either in audio of visual format (nightshot).Most significantly, I have a recorded piece of audio I heard in real time calling out my first and last name. Skeptics can argue all they want but nothing is going to convince me that radio waves resonated my first and last name at the time. I monitored it with headphones at the time loud enough to wake me up. AVP is rare but it does exist. Interested parties might want to google David Roundtee....he's an audio engineer who actually has proven EVP as a real phenomena and used a scientific premise to obtain results....

Edited by evp
  • Like 2

evp, may I applaud you for the way you posted that info - we may not entirely agree on all points (I am pretty close to a complete skeptic!) but your approach is excellent!

I'll take a look that Roundtee (Roundtree?) fellow's work when I have time, but it probably doesn't belong (and will get lost) on this thread - why not start a new one?

• 1 year later...

From my experience with the paranormal all my life, there ARE orbs playing with that adorable baby! This happens a lot with my sister's youngest child. Also, my videos always seem to contain orbs, floating along a certain path, you can see them if you visit YouTube, Rayne Evans. (This is all personal opinion from experience)

7 hours ago, Raynetom143 said:

From my experience with the paranormal all my life, there ARE orbs playing with that adorable baby! This happens a lot with my sister's youngest child. Also, my videos always seem to contain orbs, floating along a certain path, you can see them if you visit YouTube, Rayne Evans. (This is all personal opinion from experience)

What particular behavior makes you think it is anything other than random movements of air currents blowing dust around?  If anything, your years of experience with paranormal stuff would suggest bias..  It would be better if you posted an example that showed some behavior that was NOT consistent with dust/bugs floating/flying by, close to camera.

And I'm sorry but handwaving to your Youtube channel won't fly here.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, ChrLzs said:

What particular behavior makes you think it is anything other than random movements of air currents blowing dust around?  If anything, your years of experience with paranormal stuff would suggest bias..  It would be better if you posted an example that showed some behavior that was NOT consistent with dust/bugs floating/flying by, close to camera.

Rooms often have their own "micro" currents, drafts from cracks in the floor, an old metal heater warming up in the sun and causing the surrounding air to rise. The only way I would personally see an orb as having its own free will was if it changed course to avoid an object or moved in an intelligent manner. I have seen only one video that seemingly shows an orb moving of its own volition. Every other time they just drift aimlessly around a room. 

• Like 1

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Orb_(optics)

Orbs are not anything paranormal or supernatural or evil or divine or alien or sentient (unless there are smart bugs flying around :blink: ).  They're objects close the camera, out of focus, caught in the light.  They move because of the air currents, or in the case of bugs, because they enjoy flying dizzily around for our entertainment.

19 minutes ago, AustinHinton said:

I have seen only one video that seemingly shows an orb moving of its own volition.

Yes, a bug.

Definitely orbs I too get orbs in my house. Crazy world we have don't we? ... Yesterday my dog started barking at something I couldn't see and I started tripping out and on top of that I as sober when it happened.

2 hours ago, DarkTimez said:

Definitely orbs I too get orbs in my house.

You should dust more often then.

2 hours ago, DarkTimez said:

Crazy world we have don't we? ... Yesterday my dog started barking at something I couldn't see and I started tripping out and on top of that I as sober when it happened.

Dogs do that, they like barking at nothing.  That's what makes them special.  You shouldn't "trip out" over it, it's natural.

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/16/2011 at 11:32 PM, sbianchino said:

I have multiple orbs in my house. I try to attach a video, but it was too big to attach. I do not have much activity in my house. I did have a tissue box fall off the kitchen counter the other day on it's own while I was 10 feet away from it. It has been pretty quiet otherwise. I try to keep an open mind with the unexplained. Orbs could be static electricity, ghosts, energy coming from another dimension, energy coming from someone in the house, energy coming from the earth, or just something we don't understand yet. I would appreciate any input.

sbianchino

Link below:

Dude all I see here is a bunch of negative bs from people who act as if they're experts on this subject. From my personal experience it could be very likely that this is paranormal. The only way to know for sure it's by consulting with paranormal experts in this field of study and photography. Another thing you can do is to make an attempt to communicate which I wouldn't advise because you don't know what you're dealing with that's why I said leave it to the experts. Try to get some FLIR video and see what happens. I've had the same experience and I don't give a s*** what anybody says my instincts even with all of my disbelief led me to keep an open mind that due to personal experiences that it may just be paranormal.

I love checking out paranormal experiences. Telling and sharing stories and such. However this one is most likely just dust particles. Its a pretty well known thing. Easily replicated. If we cant give the skeptics that much, how on earth can we have any credibility with them at all? Me and ChrLzs don't really agree on much, but with things like this, to me, he clearly knows what he's talking about.

Now maybe it is something more then dust particles. Personally though I'm gonna need a lot more then this to declare it a haunting

Hey Chrlzs I happened to click on another video that popped up after this one played. Its another orb video, but well I'll just ask ya to take a look. Watch at least a minute and a half into it, and don't assume anything till you get that far. Let me know what cha think.

On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2017 at 4:54 PM, ChrLzs said:

Just quoting ya so you can watch the video I posted above this post.

10 hours ago, preacherman76 said:

Hey Chrlzs I happened to click on another video...

Let me know what cha think.

Hey, pm, thanks for the heads up.  I'll concede it's an interesting video..  I only had time to look at it briefly and in low-res - having done so and seen the odd stuff (see point 8), I need to revisit it later.. and will do so when I get time.  But in the meantime, a few basic initial observations.

1. It's on Youtube (but let's not hold that against it..)
2. She seems to be a legit user.
3. She seems to have a predilection for the paranormal ( ditto ! :D )
4. The camera is clearly a small sensor camera, eg phone camera.
5. The camera has a constant flash/LED light and it is very close to the lens.  You can see the evidence for that when she pans down slightly and shows objects that are throwing shadows - the shadows are clearly defined (=bright light) and close to the edges of the objects (=light near to lens)
6. When the large round orbs appear, they have several characteristics of 'bokeh' (more on that later), which is very strong evidence that they are out of focus, and also explains the tranparency.
7. The objects move at a speed and on paths suggesting that some/most of them are insects.  In my region, they would almost certainly be tiny fruit flies, which commonly buzz around people noiselessly and often are virtually invisible to the eye unless you really look for them.  They are also tiny enough to get inside through standard flyscreen.. :(, but easily lareg enough to appear as they do on this footage, especially when very brightly lit and thrown out of focus into those circles of bokeh...

So....items 4,5,6 and 7 point virtually inescapably to the orbs being a mixture of dust and bugs.  Every characteristic points to that.  The amount of them does suggest some deliberate intervention, I'd have to say..

But then there's 8....

8. At times, a sort of 'veiling' glare appears.  This looks rather like what you would expect if you were looking at bright lights thru plastic food wrap, or through a smeared lens when you alter the light angle that is hitting the camera..

Those effects puzzle me.  It doesn't look all that fake (at first viewing at least), and it also doesn't really line up with the sort of glare effects I've seen before.  So, yes, it's interesting.  As I stated above, I didn't get time to really sink my teeth oops eyes into it, and closely examine those glare effects - and how they move - more closely to try to work out their source - so I'll be back later...

In the meantime I would invite other imaging experts to chime in  (hey Pericynthion, are you about?)...

• Like 1

A small addendum.. I had a small amount of time and was able to view it at larger size... and I'm smelling a rat.

Really, to be sure it is a rat..., I'd need some time and effort to put into motion analysis (and frankly I'm not sure I can be bothered - it isn't my field of expertise and would take me a while - maybe someone who does more video manipulation/analysis might like to try?)

Anyway, here's my problem...  The video itself is rather jumpy, as if she is having a hard time holding it still, and perhaps there is some (bad) image stabilisation going on causing it to jump suddenly as it re-aligns.  Whatever the cause, these small staccato jumps are very obvious in the scene... but I'm struggling to see that same movement in the veiling glare (or the orbs for that matter).  As I said, it's hard to be sure without spending more time, but it seems to me that the glare and orbs are steadier than the background scene.  IF that is true, then......{cue dramatic music} they have been added...

Anyway, I'm not yet sure (but that's never stopped me making false suggestions before!), and I'll try to get some more time to examine it, but right now, I'm leaning away from 'real', I'm sorry...  Note that I'll happily apologise if I'm shown to be wrong - indeed, it might well be me who shows I'm wrong.... :)

Edited by ChrLzs

On ‎2‎/‎28‎/‎2017 at 0:06 AM, ChrLzs said:

A small addendum.. I had a small amount of time and was able to view it at larger size... and I'm smelling a rat.

Really, to be sure it is a rat..., I'd need some time and effort to put into motion analysis (and frankly I'm not sure I can be bothered - it isn't my field of expertise and would take me a while - maybe someone who does more video manipulation/analysis might like to try?)

Anyway, here's my problem...  The video itself is rather jumpy, as if she is having a hard time holding it still, and perhaps there is some (bad) image stabilisation going on causing it to jump suddenly as it re-aligns.  Whatever the cause, these small staccato jumps are very obvious in the scene... but I'm struggling to see that same movement in the veiling glare (or the orbs for that matter).  As I said, it's hard to be sure without spending more time, but it seems to me that the glare and orbs are steadier than the background scene.  IF that is true, then......{cue dramatic music} they have been added...

Anyway, I'm not yet sure (but that's never stopped me making false suggestions before!), and I'll try to get some more time to examine it, but right now, I'm leaning away from 'real', I'm sorry...  Note that I'll happily apologise if I'm shown to be wrong - indeed, it might well be me who shows I'm wrong.... :)

Yes it was all about #8, lol. Ive never seen anything like that before. I've gone back and looked at the video again after reading your analyst. Truth is though I really don't know exactly what I'm looking for, or I guess how to see it. If it is ligit that was a awesome video. Cool enough where you have to consider it as a possible hoax.  

• 1 year later...
On 9/16/2011 at 11:32 PM, sbianchino said:

I have multiple orbs in my house. I try to attach a video, but it was too big to attach. I do not have much activity in my house. I did have a tissue box fall off the kitchen counter the other day on it's own while I was 10 feet away from it. It has been pretty quiet otherwise. I try to keep an open mind with the unexplained. Orbs could be static electricity, ghosts, energy coming from another dimension, energy coming from someone in the house, energy coming from the earth, or just something we don't understand yet. I would appreciate any input.

sbianchino

Link below:

Those aren't orbs.  They're typical house dust.  They're reflecting blue light because whatever that thing is you have hanging on the wall is also doing the same thing.  Clearly that's where the dust is getting its light from.

Edited by EricO

• 1 month later...