Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

‘Alien fireball’ blamed for wrecking

ExpandMyMind

All this Washington Post article says is that the explosion was a gas canister and that a young man took the fireball picture changed his story "under questioning".

"After the reports of a fireball coming down, the government dispatched the large number of searchers to check for radioactivity and any material that might have come from outer space. Provincial justice and security minister Ricardo Casal said experts were “evaluating all theories, from an explosion to something strange that came from the sky.”

If I were a suspicious person, I would wonder about a cover up, but we all know that things like that never happen. There are no new stories about this event and I doubt that there will be. If anything really interesting happened there, it has already been turned into a Project Mogul non-event--Mogul-ized, one might say.

i3dddbeb0832928f651a551acd0b4ed61_fireball.n.jpg

buenosaires_fireball.jpg

http://www.washingtonpost.com/world/americas/argentine-explosives-experts-probe-fatal-blast-witnesses-describe-fireball-from-sky/2011/09/26/gIQAjxPQzK_story.html

Edited by TheMcGuffin

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lysippos

• bouncer

• ExpandMyMind

• TheMcGuffin

Seriously, dude you need to go camping more often, or at least look up. Meteorites don't "drift" to the ground. They may come in slowish (in relative to the speed of meteorites) and burn up and out in the atmosphere, or they simply skip off the outer atmosphere. But they still do so very quickly. If I took you up there and dropped you from a standstill, you would fall to the ground at 32.2 ft per second. A meteor hits our atmosphere already at an accelerated speed far beyond that. So unless they now have become equipped with parachutes, I highly doubt it was a meteor.

I witnessed a green fireball, slowly falling near my parents house about two years ago, or so.

It seemed to be very slow, although I'm sure, it was faster. I can't verify that it was indeed a meteorite. It was a very cloudy night, foggy and the moon had all the clouds lit up. Like a semi-bright haze. The green "fireball" was very striking! My adrenaline was pumping as I seen it and tried to explain it to my GF and family. I even thought about searching for the debris, but I figured it would be a difficult find! The most shocking part, was the fact that it seemed to fall vertically, as opposed to diagonally, which one would expect.

Suffice to say, meteorites aka fireballs are witnessed daily. Many of them are reported. So, you are wrong and right. Most of them do break up and don't reach the ground while still "flaming". Most would extinguish very high in our atmosphere. Some however, do make it to the ground while still emitting flames, etc. Albeit rare.

Vivid colors are more often reported by fireball observers because the brightness is great enough to fall well within the range of human color vision. These must be treated with some caution, however, because of well-known effects associated with the persistence of vision. Reported colors range across the spectrum, from red to bright blue, and (rarely) violet. The dominant composition of a meteoroid can play an important part in the observed colors of a fireball, with certain elements displaying signature colors when vaporized. For example, sodium produces a bright yellow color, nickel shows as green, and magnesium as blue-white. The velocity of the meteor also plays an important role, since a higher level of kinetic energy will intensify certain colors compared to others. Among fainter objects, it seems to be reported that slow meteors are red or orange, while fast meteors frequently have a blue color, but for fireballs the situation seems more complex than that, but perhaps only because of the curiosities of color vision as mentioned above.

The difficulties of specifying meteor color arise because meteor light is dominated by an emission, rather than a continuous, spectrum. The majority of light from a fireball radiates from a compact cloud of material immediately surrounding the meteoroid or closely trailing it. 95% of this cloud consists of atoms from the surrounding atmosphere; the balance consists of atoms of vaporized elements from the meteoroid itself. These excited particles will emit light at wavelengths characteristic for each element. The most common emission lines observed in the visual portion of the spectrum from ablated material in the fireball head originate from iron (Fe), magnesium (Mg), and sodium (Na). Silicon (Si) may be under-represented due to incomplete dissociation of SiO2 molecules. Manganese (Mn), Chromium (Cr), Copper (Cu) have been observed in fireball spectra, along with rarer elements. The refractory elements Aluminum (Al), Calcium (Ca), and Titanium (Ti) tend to be incompletely vaporized and thus also under-represented in fireball spectra.

http://www.amsmeteors.org/fireballs/faqf/#5

Did a meteorite really kill a woman and destroy some buildings in Argentina?

Even though the police "went through the rubble to discover a "gas 45-kilogram gas tube, part of some pipe and a [pizza] oven destroyed." The fire department declared that the explosion was enormous" Buenos Aires security minister Ricardo Casal says that "they can't discard anything, all the versions are possible, the shockwave was huge and the gas deposits didn't explode." Right now, their "scientific police" is still going through the evidence.

• 2 weeks later...

Bloody fool teen aliens out joyriding again, that's what it was. I mean, come one, they spend too much time around the mothership and aren't used to flying into a gravity well. One second, they're taking in the scenery and the next they're part of it. You'd think the flightmasters would teach them better but, nooo, they're too busy hanger flying with their buddies. *grumble* ... put me in the instructor's seat and see how much things improve. ;)

lol.. I'd swear every time I've ever seen you post it involved teenage aliens.

lol.. I'd swear every time I've ever seen you post it involved teenage aliens.

Well, I do post seriously sometimes but this was too good to pass up. :D