Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amityville House for Sale

Order66

I wonder if anyone could just buy it for any purpose - you could turn it into a tourist attraction, or would the neighbourhood have a say??

I wonder if anyone could just buy it for any purpose - you could turn it into a tourist attraction, or would the neighbourhood have a say??

I doubt it, it looks like kind of an upscale neighborhood, they are probably strict about what kind of business can open and where.

The neighborhood would not have a say, the zoning would. ( business, commercial,residential,etc)

But, it depends on the local zoning laws, and other loopholes.People can run a personal business from their homes, many do.And this might be one that can be run.

Neighbors can not tell someone if they can buy a house or not, and what they can do with it....This is still the USA...

I can't tell you the Lutz's story was true, but I have just found it to be a weird story from any angle, very little about it seems cut and dry enough to just chalk it up to a hoax. I can say that I have watched and heard interviews with George Lutz and he seems to be sincere. I personally believe that he believes the experiences were real. I have also seen an interview with William Weber and I was not so convinced in his version of events. He talks like a used car salesman and that's what I think his version of the story amounts to.

The writer of the story has publicly admitted to writing it, presenting it to the Warren duo, them telling him it wasn't scary enough, then him re-writing it to make it more scary. Whether or not some of it was based on some fact is up to us to find out, but probably what you found weird about it, was because it was written and re-written to be a very scary, disturbing horror story.

Either way, it was a good book and the movie always freaks me out a little. Much better than most of the things that come out now-a-days.

Edited by veledran

I don't think that's accurate- the article is from May of last year. Currently 112 Ocean Drive in Amityville is not showing up on any real estate listings, but there are other pretty (and expensive) houses in the area up for sale.

Apparently it isn't even on Ocean Drive anymore either. Digging around a bit, looks like it was moved in the 80's to a Brooks Road, and a new house was constructed at Ocean Drive.

There is a second Amityville house too- the one used for filming. Apparently they weren't allowed to film at the real house, and located one in Toms River NJ that they decked out to look like the real house, then took off the facing after the filming was done.

I gotta say, the thought of moving a house seems real strange to me.

We dont generally do that here in UK.

Although i remember a lighthouse was moved during past few years. It was in the papers with explanation how it was done. But like i said, not a common occurance over here.

I watched a program which showed a house being moved in the USA.

It was fascinating to me. But it looks to be a pretty complicated job.

I wish we could move a house over here.

The house we had in Wigan was perfect for us. I would love to have been able to move it here in Scarborough.

I don't think I'd ever live in the Amityville house. It'd just give me the creeps. The place must be full of spiders.

Yeah, or demons. Wouldn't touch that place with a 100ft. pole. :blink:

Even if it's not haunted, couldn't live in a place, or a room where multiple murders were committed, that's just creepy as hell.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3

well i just read not long ago that it had sold,know it is up for sale again. something fishie gone here. i beleive the place is really haunted

Wood, nails and plaster, that's it. The Lutz's have admitted that they embellished everyday events until they had the desired "paranormal" effect. There were murders committed in the house, but it's still just a house.

You gotta feel for the neighbors. Putting up with this crap for all these years.

All over nothing.

I would love to buy it, but not for that price. Ghost don't bother me.

Could have sworn the house was located in Detroit. :unsure2:

well i just read not long ago that it had sold,know it is up for sale again. something fishie gone here. i beleive the place is really haunted

You do believe, or you want to believe? There's a fine distinction there. :sleepy:

imma buy it one day. this house is awesome and if the spirits are still there, then i'll invite them over for a cup of tea. ;3 haha

Amity-amity-amity, that's all folks!

Porky+Pig.jpg

Could i just ask how several people here know the house was moved? Not being rude but just wondered as there is no indicitation on the realestate add that its the amityville house(he he as if they would say it was), its a beautiful house though and i would definatley live in it!!! Edited to say= sorry just realised this is the house that was used in filming not the actual house Please disregard question.

Edited by sandcat

Could i just ask how several people here know the house was moved? Not being rude but just wondered as there is no indicitation on the realestate add that its the amityville house(he he as if they would say it was), its a beautiful house though and i would definatley live in it!!! Edited to say= sorry just realised this is the house that was used in filming not the actual house Please disregard question.

Yeah, what a bummer. If I was gonna buy a movie prop I'd get the shark from Jaws or something lol

Whether it was haunted or not, I would never step feet in that house! Nor buy it. No thank you.

I would,but I would have it torn down or open it up for public viewing for $10 a person or invite a paranormal group to spend the night.but as far as living in it NO WAY JOSE.

You do believe, or you want to believe? There's a fine distinction there. :sleepy:

I DO BELIEVE IN SPOOKS I DO, I DO, I DO BELIEVE IN SPOOKS SAID THE COWARDLY LION

Edited by tdwatson

I would renovate it and change it BACK to the way it looked in the late 1970's.