Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Amityville House for Sale

Order66

I read up on the murders and I've seen the crime scene photos. No Way.

I could hang with living in a house where someone died. But yeah, if I saw pictures, that might change things.

I'd never be able to sleep in this bed and room:

abby.jpg

Can I get that in writing :ph34r:

lol.......that house would be awesome to own...................that's actually a low asking price.......considering the houses notoriety....... :)

Edited by cluey

But would you be tempted to buy it if you had the dosh?

Or would you prefer to buy a different house where people hadnt died/been murdered in?

i'd buy it and turn it into a BnB

XD

i don't know how many people have owned it since the ghost stories, but i don't think any of them have reported anything paranormal. so yeah i think i'd be okay with living there.

well honestly i'd be okay living there if there ghosts. it's a pretty house.

• 3 weeks later...

THE Amityville HAUNTING IS A HOAX. THE WRITERS CAME FORTH AND ADMITTED IT. THE HOME IS WORTH ABOUT 175K. IT'LL ONLY SELL TO SOME RICH DUMB### THAT HAS MORE MONEY THAN BRAINS AT THAT PRICE. AS FAR AS LIVING THERE? WOULDN'T PHASE ME A BIT ;>p

Keep in mind that the OP article was from last year.. The "real" house on Ocean Drive sold in Sept of last year for $950,000. Big part of the reason it sold for so much was probably because of it's water access, that always jacks up the price. Other homes in the area currently on the market tend to range from 275 to 850 K, with a couple being over and below that.

The Amityville house more recently on the market is where the movie was filmed, on Brooks Rd in Toms river, NJ. It appears that house sold as well since it is no longer listed as active.

So someone said it was a hoax, then someone mentioned they saw crime scene photos - so who is telling the truth??

So someone said it was a hoax, then someone mentioned they saw crime scene photos - so who is telling the truth??

Possibly both.

The DeFeo murders really did happen in the house. They were in the house from 65 to November of 74. They didn't seem to have any problems with the house till the night Ronald snapped. And even he never claimed any spooky, but rather family problems.

The house stood empty till December of 75 when the Lutzs bought it, and those are the people that the hoax is about.

All the owners after that, the Cromartys, the O'Neills, Mr. Wilson, and the current owners, the D'Antonios claim there has never been anything wrong with the house... unless you count the people that feel free to trespass to check the place out.

All the previous owners, the Moynahans, Ms. Fitzgerald, and the Rileys never had anything bad to say about the place either.

It is also interesting to note that all the owners after the Lutzs had the house for about a decade or so with no reported problems. Other than the Lutzs, the shortest ownership was that of Ms. Fitzgerald, who inherited the house from the Moynahans, and not needing it, sold it. The next shortest was the Rileys, who lived there a scant five years. They divorced, and so lost the house. The Moynahans had the property the longest, from 1890 to 1960 :)

Edited by rashore

Possibly both.

The DeFeo murders really did happen in the house. They were in the house from 65 to November of 74. They didn't seem to have any problems with the house till the night Ronald snapped. And even he never claimed any spooky, but rather family problems.

The house stood empty till December of 75 when the Lutzs bought it, and those are the people that the hoax is about.

All the owners after that, the Cromartys, the O'Neills, Mr. Wilson, and the current owners, the D'Antonios claim there has never been anything wrong with the house... unless you count the people that feel free to trespass to check the place out.

All the previous owners, the Moynahans, Ms. Fitzgerald, and the Rileys never had anything bad to say about the place either.

It is also interesting to note that all the owners after the Lutzs had the house for about a decade or so with no reported problems. Other than the Lutzs, the shortest ownership was that of Ms. Fitzgerald, who inherited the house from the Moynahans, and not needing it, sold it. The next shortest was the Rileys, who lived there a scant five years. They divorced, and so lost the house. The Moynahans had the property the longest, from 1890 to 1960 :)

I would buy the house and turn it into a tourist attraction, hoax or not.

I lived in a house where a suicide was committed and I was not effected. I wouldn't buy it because it's in NY and my job is in TN. If someone gave it to me I'd love it as a vacation home. I believe it was a hoax, but of course the DeFeos were murdered there. IMO, the Lutz' bought the house, realized they were in over their head and concocted the story to get out of the mortgage and make some money.

Keep in mind that the OP article was from last year.. The "real" house on Ocean Drive sold in Sept of last year for $950,000. Big part of the reason it sold for so much was probably because of it's water access, that always jacks up the price. Other homes in the area currently on the market tend to range from 275 to 850 K, with a couple being over and below that.

The Amityville house more recently on the market is where the movie was filmed, on Brooks Rd in Toms river, NJ. It appears that house sold as well since it is no longer listed as active.

There's a thread in here from last year that shows the realtor's pictures of the real house. It was completely remodeled and looks nothing at all like it used to. It has a sunroom and a really nice boathouse as I remember. The place is beautiful.

Here's a link to the original home. It sold for close to a million. At the far right, you can see the refinished boathouse. Click on the pics to see the inside.

http://www.zillow.com/homedetails/108-Ocean-Ave-Amityville-NY-11701/32596605_zpid/

Edited by susieice

I saw the crime scene photos from the DeFoe murder. In fact, I think a link to them is posted in the thread mentioned above.

The murders were very real. The associated hauntings and possessions that followed were admitted by the writer to be mostly fabricated per the Warren's request to make a good selling book. Seeing as how well the book and following movies did, I think they were happy.

Edited by Jerry Only

I wouldnt spend a night in that house for any amount of money because even if the Lutz's story was a hoax the Defeo murders werent. Bad energy.

i don't know if it's a hoax or not, but, a few years ago i read something about the lutz and how they were messing around with the occult. they probably opened up something and that's probably why they were the only ones to experience "hauntings" there.

Even Jay Anson who wrote the book said it was fiction. You can tell people over and over that it was a hoax but people are still going to believe what they want to believe.

His work, The Amityville Horror, was sold as "a true story", and it was based on the reported experiences of George Lutz and Kathleen Lutz at 112 Ocean Avenue in December 1975. The Lutzes had sold the rights to the book to Anson, who had added and adapted to some of the Lutz's original claims. A film was later made of the book, which exemplified these additions. source

The Lutz's never left all their worldly belongings:

On January 14, 1976 George and Kathy Lutz, with their three children and their dog Harry, left 112 Ocean Avenue leaving all of their possessions behind. The next day, a mover came in to remove all of the possessions to send to the Lutzes. He reported no paranormal phenomena while inside the house.source

Also at the source above there are several inconsistencies in the story that are GLARING.

Believe what you want, but remember the facts are the facts.

i live pretty close to this home and every body in Amityville says it was a hoax.

the owners have no seen or hread any ghosts there

nothing paranormal happened in that house - this has been established long ago.

granted it's a nice house, but anyone buying it will be paying for a fantasy. not to mention having to put up with throngs of lookieloos that migrate there to 'see the evil house'

yawn

• 11 months later...

Is it true this area (Ocean Avenue) is now part of a gated community? I had read this somewhere. I was disappointed since I have wanted to drive by this house in person for a long time. Was planning on next weekend, now I see I can't get in. Hmmm

The murders are a bad enough story without all the rumours of possession and it being a cursed house. Just imagining the guy going methodically from room to room in his own bloody house is disturbing enough! I read that a family who'd lived in the property after the events had no trouble at all and said it was now a beautiful house.

I read that a family who'd lived in the property after the events had no trouble at all and said it was now a beautiful house.

I saw this news article a few weeks ago. It looks like the house is up for sale again -

"The owners of The Amityville Horror house - an iconic piece of scary movie history - have put it back on the market with a dropped asking price of $955,000, insisting it is because they are getting divorced and not because it is haunted."

http://www.dailymail...1-35m-955k.html

• Like 1

That is interesting, Still Waters. I know the address was changed but there must be constant sightseers and kids eager to play pranks and stuff. I don't know how many owners there have been since that night but I have never heard complaints of unusual goings on, which is a change from most places where brutal acts have occurred, they usually get so much hype and hysteria built around them.

Can I get that in writing :ph34r:

Oh my,old posting .However,the house been owned at least twice since the famous,family . New owners,claim no paranormal activity occured .The famous family said it followed them where ever they moved to . No idea what occurred for them though.