Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists developing "stay-sober pill"

Still Waters

Scientists are developing a "stay sober" pill which allows you to drink as much as you want while limiting the effects of alcohol on their brains.

In tests for the drug, mice given the drug did not even display signs of getting tipsy, despite being fed enough alcohol to make them stumble and fall over.

The research paves the way for a tablet that stops people embarrassing themelves on nights out.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• _Only

• ThePhantomFlanFlinger

• blueandi

• undertheflow

Wait, isn't that taking away the reason why people get drunk in the first place? I don't get it.

Guess it's for light-weights who want to fit in.

Are we really heading to make a pill for everything?

Must.. not.. post.. mouth.. peeing.. monkey..

Hmmmm..people seem to be missing a point here.....if you have a tablet that stops you being drunk then this would enable people to drink more.The biggest downside to this is that whilst you will be sober every time you drink more and more,your liver will still be taking pounding after pounding.Liver failure isn't a very nice thing to go through.

Alcohol poisoning in a convenient tablet. Prepare for lawsuits over this. If released to the public anyways.

They died because they didn't realize how much alcohol they drank.

What's liability going to be for the taverns.

Why did you serve him the drink that killed him?

Answer... he didn't seem drunk to me! Heck he appeared sober.!

this is the stupidest thing i've ever heard. i know i say that a lot but this one takes the cake

Great! Now if only they could make a tablet so that I could drink coffee without feeling energized, my life would be complete.

I'm with Aus Der on this one. The whole point of your body getting drunk is because it's being fed poison. If you take away the warning signs people will over do it and die. And because we live in America, their families will sue everyone.... Because personal responsibility for your actions is not required here!

I understand where you're going with this Liquid and Aus, but you also have to consider the fact that the less drunk you are, the more self control you'll have. Like, I'm not saying it's impossible to die from it, but chances are most of the people who'd be willing to take a pill not to be drunk aren't drinking for the sake of drinking.

id prefer a pill that once you are drunk and you take it it'll sober you up, drinking without getting under the influence is just a waste of time and money

I'm with Aus Der on this one. The whole point of your body getting drunk is because it's being fed poison. If you take away the warning signs people will over do it and die. And because we live in America, their families will sue everyone.... Because personal responsibility for your actions is not required here!

Alcohol isn't poison. In moderation, its heath benefits are well-documented. Toxicity occurs if you drink too much. The same can be said of water.

Assisted suicide pill. Are they planning on weeding out the heavy drinkers in our population?

if developed and marketed it wont be the deaths due to having too much alcohol in your system that will be the problem...it will be the people with the long term illnesses brought on by the heavy drinking with no drunkeness....that will do the damage to the health systems of countries.....

I do agree, this is one of the most ridiculous thing i have heard today. If this tablet is being released for public consumption, then no doubt, it is going to take the entire population to chaos! People wouldn't control drinking, and it would look like all have this problem! this is going to be chaotic.

That said, I seriously think these scientist have the logic to understand that their discovery is not to be marketed, but understanding the pathway is good, who knows in future we might be able to feel drunk even without consuming alcohol, now that would be good, lol!

Just a thought, but alcoholics drink to get drunk, right? Not because they like the taste.

So I'm thinking, give it to alcoholics, they stop getting drunk and therefore stop drinking because there's no point. and they also get to live sober and sort out the thing that made them turn to drink in the first place.

Of course then many will just move on to another addiction...... :rolleyes:

Weird

if developed and marketed it wont be the deaths due to having too much alcohol in your system that will be the problem...it will be the people with the long term illnesses brought on by the heavy drinking with no drunkeness....that will do the damage to the health systems of countries.....

Well, those illnesses develop over years.

I don't think these pills are meant to be taken regularly, and can't see anyone wanting to. It's a situational pill.

I think this serves no purpose. My reasons have been stated in this thread already. Perhaps they can try to find a pill that does something useful, like getting rid of acne?

Edited by UFO_Monster

Well, those illnesses develop over years.

I don't think these pills are meant to be taken regularly, and can't see anyone wanting to. It's a situational pill.

Its a stupid pill that IF marketed will be abused and you would be surprised how quickly liver disease can come on....we are seeing kids under 20 developing it now due to binge drinking and i think this would just make the whole situation 100 times worse.Kids are drinking from a very young age nowadays and in huge quantites....jmo

Edited by BrianPotter