Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Crossroads ritual

Redsign

That I know of. .

Not sure about Paganini

• 7 months later...

Do you have an actual source on this information? Or just when they said it on Supernatural lol. I've never seen any ritual saying those exact things as Supernatural did so if you have a source I'd be interested in seeing it.

The researchers for the show probably looked at lore and went with the main things that are used in crossroad deals in Wiccan and Hoodoo rituals.

Wicca: Generally, most darker magick in wiccan rituals uses Graveyard Dirt and Black Cats Bones. (Most of the time it would be on a full moon to give the ritual strength.)

The Photo probably comes from other rituals as when targeting someone you would either burn a photo with these things or a list of everything you know about the person - usually both.

Hoodoo: Cats bones tend to be used for luck in gambling - gambling your soul perhaps could be the link here.

Graveyard dirt tends to be used for protection and curses, Curses can potentially kill.

Haven't come across anything about pictures in Hoodoo but I haven't looked into it as much. However I believe it is probably similar to wiccan ritual uses.

NOTE: If anyone is planning on taking graveyard dirt, remember to give thanks to the dead you are taking it from. Usually this is done with coins or alcohol being put on the place it has been taken from. Also of note, it is believed to be a very powerful ingredient and can be dangerous if used incorrectly.

Robert Johnson met the devil at the cross roads and he sold his soul to be come a great guitar player.

Johnson is the father of the blues.

The researchers for the show probably looked at lore and went with the main things that are used in crossroad deals in Wiccan and Hoodoo rituals.

Wicca: Generally, most darker magick in wiccan rituals uses Graveyard Dirt and Black Cats Bones. (Most of the time it would be on a full moon to give the ritual strength.)

The Photo probably comes from other rituals as when targeting someone you would either burn a photo with these things or a list of everything you know about the person - usually both.

Hoodoo: Cats bones tend to be used for luck in gambling - gambling your soul perhaps could be the link here.

Graveyard dirt tends to be used for protection and curses, Curses can potentially kill.

Haven't come across anything about pictures in Hoodoo but I haven't looked into it as much. However I believe it is probably similar to wiccan ritual uses.

NOTE: If anyone is planning on taking graveyard dirt, remember to give thanks to the dead you are taking it from. Usually this is done with coins or alcohol being put on the place it has been taken from. Also of note, it is believed to be a very powerful ingredient and can be dangerous if used incorrectly.

I think you might want to more reaserch onto Wicca. They're not known for using animal parts aside from dropped feathers and pther things from living animals.

• 2 years later...
On 11/23/2013 at 7:31 PM, Apollyon734 said:

Why is there so much focus on the Christian legends and superstitions about crossroads? Wanna know why everyone thinks a "Devil" or a "Demon" awaits them to make deals at the crossroads?

Because The church demonized Hekate and Hermes....both Greek dieties to whom the crossroads were sacred. Images and small statues of Hermes and altars to him were placed at crossroads, and Hekate (though more associated with the crossins where three roads meet) was the diety to whom many offerings were made, many at night/midnight.

The worship of Hermes and Hekate actually persisted into the middle ages, and the church felt threatened by them, thus the demonization.

I am sorry, but everytime I see people regurgitate the demon stuff, I cant help but cringe.

While you entertain yourself with talk about how to summon demons, how demons shouldnt be dealt with, or soul offerings.....just keep in mind that there are worse things in this world than what you label as demons.

You definitely are well informed about the origin of Christian demons being primarily silver age deities demonized by steel age Catholicism, but demonization of predecessor religions dates back much farther than catholicism, just look at the demons the Greeks made of the minoans, that the taoists made of the nature worshippers of Asia, the druids and the seidh, the tuatha de danann and the fomorians, the Nordic tribes and the worshippers of the wyrd. To an open minded agnostic such as myself, who is to say any or all of these deities did not exist at some point? And who can say whether belief is enough to change divine to damned? All I know is that there is much more unexplained in our world than there is explained. 

• Like 1

On 8/15/2014 at 7:39 PM, Yaoilover95 said:

Correction, Wicca is not known to use dead animal bits, save for rituals to attempt communication with the dead, the religion you are actually looking for is Nordic Blood magic, practiced by worshippers of the norn or wyrd, a little known golden age religion predating the olympians, titans and asgardians that spanned most of Europe, the Greeks demonized them into 2 forms the fates and the grai sisters, the Vikings created the Norns, but after their demonization, their worshippers turned darker than their origins, including attempts at necromancy, vampirism, cannibalism, and rites to jumpstart various forms of the apocalypse.

wicca however is fairly close to the original beliefs of the wyrd 

Edited by Mwatts25