Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Operation Prato

bouncer

Operation Prato (operation saucer)

Well the article posted about the 'alien' in the Brazilian rainforest...while I wasn't impressed..... also mentioned the "Operation Prato", which I dont think Ive heard of before, so I looked into it a bit and found a series of movies....(long story short, regular and nightly ufo activity, folk getting burned by lazer beams, and the military involved)

SNIP: "During the months of September through December 1977, the Brazillian Air-Force under the command of a Captain Uyrangê Hollanda, was sent to the island of Colares to investigate a series of incidents in which over 80 people reported being attacked by beams of light from UFO's, paralyzing two of them and leaving puncture and burn marks on their skin.

The investigation was codenamed "Operation Saucer". This operation collated over 15 hours of film, 500 photos, and hundreds of documents with detailed drawings and interviews with over 3000 witness'. The files were to remain classified by the Brazillian Government until 1997, when UFO investigator's A J Gevaerd and Marco Petite of UFO Magazine were allowed partial access. They were also contacted by the then retired Cpt Hollanda who gave them a vivid recollection of the whole series of events".

A nine part youtube series starts here:

more vids in the series but you have to choose your own part numbers as its not in order, here:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=Month+Air-Force+UFO+Investigation+-+Brazil+1977&aq=f

For those who cant watch the vids heres a text link:

http://www.ufocasebook.com/colares1977.html

and...

wiki: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Opera%C3%A7%C3%A3o_Prato

• Like 1

Here's a case that's been posted many times that the "skeptics" should feel free to debunk. Most of them simply take a pass on it, though.

Like I keep saying, whose stopping them from debunking these cases? Not me,

Watched all 9 episodes - thanks for posting.

Very sobering and even frightening. Were they extracting human material using powerful beams, instead of abducting people physically? Were there different strains of aliens present, indicated by the many different craft identified? Was one strain malevolent and another trying to protect the local population as suggested by the message given to Hollandes?

:wacko: :wacko: :wacko::alien:

God only knows

Here's a case that's been posted many times that the "skeptics" should feel free to debunk. Most of them simply take a pass on it, though.

Like I keep saying, whose stopping them from debunking these cases? Not me,

I would not know how to begin debunking it, I have enough trouble with the translation. It would have been a good case for the Hostile Aliens thread for discussion though.

What I did see is the link to Lost Shamans thread at ATS. That is a good read, and a better translation than what I have seen to date, and UFO's from being gigantic to just 2 cm in size. It sure is an intriguing tale. But did you see the post by DocLottaLove?

Lost Shaman

Are there any pictures of the events, the ATS thread indicated this might be the case and the links do not seem to work for me. And was there ever any sort of substantiation for the claims made by member DocLottaLove? He seemed pretty sure this was a scam, but all he had was talk. Is there verification the people were hurt and killed?

Lost Shaman

Are there any pictures of the events, the ATS thread indicated this might be the case and the links do not seem to work for me.

Yes! There are some photos in the public domain. Also it's not just you, the thread is so old now that the links either don't work and/or ATS changed it's image handling. The end result is that many links in older threads just don't work anymore.

My impresion is that alot of the photos look like they could be plasmas. It was this 'wave' that lead me to first think plasmas might play a serious roll in explaining the UFO Phenomena.

Yes! There are some photos in the public domain. Also it's not just you, the thread is so old now that the links either don't work and/or ATS changed it's image handling. The end result is that many links in older threads just don't work anymore.

My impresion is that alot of the photos look like they could be plasmas. It was this 'wave' that lead me to first think plasmas might play a serious roll in explaining the UFO Phenomena.

I do believe I have found at least one:

BrazilA-1.png

Yes indeed, Plasma looks an excellent possibility, and the range of UFO sizes seem to support that too. Were deaths confirmed? I am thinking along the lines of ball lightning.

This was most likely a CIA op, drugging the water supply and studying the results like they did to a French town during the 50's when they laced the towns bread with LSD. It had the exact same results. Hallucinations, mass fear, and even caused some deaths... I highly doubt little green men who "only come out at night" traveled a million light years to corn hole some natives in their clavicles..

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/france/7415082/French-bread-spiked-with-LSD-in-CIA-experiment.html

In 1951, a quiet, picturesque village in southern France was suddenly and mysteriously struck down with mass insanity and hallucinations. At least five people died, dozens were interned in asylums and hundreds afflicted.

For decades it was assumed that the local bread had been unwittingly poisoned with a psychedelic mould. Now, however, an American investigative journalist has uncovered evidence suggesting the CIA peppered local food with the hallucinogenic drug LSD as part of a mind control experiment at the height of the Cold War.

The mystery of Le Pain Maudit (Cursed Bread) still haunts the inhabitants of Pont-Saint-Esprit, in the Gard, southeast France.

On August 16, 1951, the inhabitants were suddenly racked with frightful hallucinations of terrifying beasts and fire.

One man tried to drown himself, screaming that his belly was being eaten by snakes. An 11-year-old tried to strangle his grandmother. Another man shouted: "I am a plane", before jumping out of a second-floor window, breaking his legs. He then got up and carried on for 50 yards. Another saw his heart escaping through his feet and begged a doctor to put it back. Many were taken to the local asylum in strait jackets.

Related Links

You might like:

* Gaddafi's death: youth fighter fired fatal shots, claims video23 Oct 2011(Telegraph News)

* EU referendum: David Cameron hit by biggest Conservative rebellion24 Oct 2011(Telegraph News)

* Nicolas Sarkozy tells David Cameron: 'We're sick of you telling us what to do'23 Oct 2011(Telegraph News)

From the Web

FORM THE WEB

:

* California Circumcision Ban Bill Signed By Gov. Jerry Brown: Circumcision Bans Will Not Make The Ballot02 Oct 2011(The Huffington Post)

* Top Ten Tanks: The Centurion31 Dec 1969(HowStuffWorks Videos)

* Generals: Hannibal's War Elephants13 Apr 2011(History.com)

[what's this]

Time magazine wrote at the time: "Among the stricken, delirium rose: patients thrashed wildly on their beds, screaming that red flowers were blossoming from their bodies, that their heads had turned to molten lead."

Eventually, it was determined that the best-known local baker had unwittingly contaminated his flour with ergot, a hallucinogenic mould that infects rye grain. Another theory was the bread had been poisoned with organic mercury.

However, H P Albarelli Jr., an investigative journalist, claims the outbreak resulted from a covert experiment directed by the CIA and the US Army's top-secret Special Operations Division (SOD) at Fort Detrick, Maryland.

The scientists who produced both alternative explanations, he writes, worked for the Swiss-based Sandoz Pharmaceutical Company, which was then secretly supplying both the Army and CIA with LSD.

Mr Albarelli came across CIA documents while investigating the suspicious suicide of Frank Olson, a biochemist working for the SOD who fell from a 13th floor window two years after the Cursed Bread incident. One note transcribes a conversation between a CIA agent and a Sandoz official who mentions the "secret of Pont-Saint-Esprit" and explains that it was not "at all" caused by mould but by diethylamide, the D in LSD.

While compiling his book, A Terrible Mistake: The Murder of Frank Olson and the CIA's Secret Cold War Experiments, Mr Albarelli spoke to former colleagues of Mr Olson, two of whom told him that the Pont-Saint-Esprit incident was part of a mind control experiment run by the CIA and US army.

After the Korean War the Americans launched a vast research programme into the mental manipulation of prisoners and enemy troops.

Scientists at Fort Detrick told him that agents had sprayed LSD into the air and also contaminated "local foot products".

Mr Albarelli said the real "smoking gun" was a White House document sent to members of the Rockefeller Commission formed in 1975 to investigate CIA abuses. It contained the names of a number of French nationals who had been secretly employed by the CIA and made direct reference to the "Pont St. Esprit incident." In its quest to research LSD as an offensive weapon, Mr Albarelli claims, the US army also drugged over 5,700 unwitting American servicemen between 1953 and 1965.

None of his sources would indicate whether the French secret services were aware of the alleged operation. According to US news reports, French intelligence chiefs have demanded the CIA explain itself following the book's revelations. French intelligence officially denies this.

Locals in Pont-Saint-Esprit still want to know why they were hit by such apocalyptic scenes. "At the time people brought up the theory of an experiment aimed at controlling a popular revolt," said Charles Granjoh, 71.

"I almost kicked the bucket," he told the weekly French magazine Les Inrockuptibles. "I'd like to know why."

Good find! Thanks.

How puzzling is this?

How did someone interpret something like this:

BrazilBlueDiscLargeCrop582.png

As something like this:

brazilUFOillustrationa.jpg

??? What is going on here?

Good find! Thanks.

How puzzling is this?

BrazilBlueDiscLargeCrop582.png

As something like this:

brazilUFOillustrationa.jpg

Very good questions indeed... but what I wonder about is the photos and video footage they have not released. Why haven't they release all of it?

Very good questions indeed... but what I wonder about is the photos and video footage they have not released. Why haven't they release all of it?

Alienz! The U.S. forbids it. Or similar conspiracy. :hmm:

There was over 500 I think. I suspect there were some crap shots that showed nothing.

Or Alienzzz :D

Alienz! The U.S. forbids it. Or similar conspiracy. :hmm:

I must say that it doesn't make sense.

I'm not making any claims here, just asking questions.

In terms of cases that might potentially provide evidence for alien intervention, I still rank this among the top of candidates.

Could it be plasma? Certainly this is possible and the photos released so far are not inconsistent with such a hypothesis. But I still must beg the question, what about the rest of the photos and completely unreleased video? What is in that exactly and why isn't it released?

Is there something to Cpl599's suggestion that it might be some kind of CIA OP? I don't know either way. But I am still curious.

Good find! Thanks.

How puzzling is this?

As something like this:

I reckon, if it wasnt the LSD scenario, that perhaps what's seen by eye and what's captured on film could be down to the level of light emitted from the craft - radiation - or something... screwing with the photos! But yes I agree it is odd.

I had trouble finding the extra images simply because the story is NOT originally in English....so who knows, perhaps there is a local Brazilian/Portuguese language blog with mores stories/pics/vids etc? But it cant be searched well unless someone inputs Portuguese text for the searches! (?)

I do believe I have found at least one:

BrazilA-1.png

Yes indeed, Plasma looks an excellent possibility, and the range of UFO sizes seem to support that too. Were deaths confirmed? I am thinking along the lines of ball lightning.

If you watch all nine episodes it is made clear that their were several different types of craft involved. Most likely different strains of aliens.

What we are looking at in these photos and sketches is not LSD. Or swamp gas either; it's real.

Edited by zoser

The event really did grip the local population with great fear. Don't forget the mysterious burn marks on the flesh. Interestingly on the video mostly reported by women. This extract is interesting:

People and animals were attacked. There was no food. Terrible lack of food. No one was fishing. People would not go out to their vegetable gardens for crops. Everybody tried to go around in large groups. Nobody wanted to be left alone. All of Colares stopped. At six o\'clock it got dark and we would go to sleep. Groups of as many as fifty to sixty women and children would get together in one house. The men would stay awake all night. They lit bonfires and banged on pots and pans to make noise to scare the UFOs away. People began to shoot into the sky to scare them away.

For more, see:

http://www.abovetopsecret.com/forum/thread454886/pg1

Is there something to Cpl599's suggestion that it might be some kind of CIA OP? I don't know either way. But I am still curious.

Quoting you to add a little comment. If anyone read my post and thinks the CIA and US Army using LSD for mind control is some wild conspiracy theory, I would suggest you brush up on the CIA mind control experiments that became known as MK ULTRA.

What we are looking at in these photos and sketches is not LSD. Or swamp gas either; it's real.

What we're looking at are a bunch of unfocused lights with absolutely zero points of reference (a treeline to show the lights being actually in the sky, etc..) For all we know, who ever took that photo was tripping out so much that he saw street lights as "UFO's in the sky attacking him" and snapped some unfocused pics of them.

And that's assuming the pics are even authentic. How many times have people here been told pics were "100% authentic and real" only to have them proven to be hoaxes.

And if I go on an LSD trip and see a big dragon, and go on to draw/sketch it when I sober up, doesn't mean what I saw, under my hallucination, was real.

And that's assuming the pics are even authentic. How many times have people here been told pics were "100% authentic and real" only to have them proven to be hoaxes.

And if I go on an LSD trip and see a big dragon, and go on to draw/sketch it when I sober up, doesn't mean what I saw, under my hallucination, was real.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I don't have any good explanations for this case. The UFOs seemed unusually violent and aggressive, especially toward civilians, and a number of injuries and even a few deaths resulted. They also hung around far longer in one place than normal, allowing the Brazilian military to get many pictures and films--only some of which have been declassified.

In my study of the UFO phenomenon, this case stands out as being atypical for all those reasons, maybe even unique. In most cases, UFOs are sort of a "hit and run" phenomenon, elusive and stealthy, and they don't hang around. Their normal reaction to military pursuit or attempts to fire on them is flight rather than fight--they run at very high speeds. Once in a while they might retaliate but they don't seem to initiate violent action.

No, this Brazilian case is very odd, and doesn't fit the normal UFO pattern that we've come to expect over the decades.

Of course, that all depends on how many of these reports of abductions and human and animal mutilations we choose to believe. I think some of them are probably true, but how many? How often does it go on? I don't know.

As I mentioned in the other thread, I don't have any good explanations for this case. The UFOs seemed unusually violent and aggressive, especially toward civilians, and a number of injuries and even a few deaths resulted.

How do you even know there were UFO's? This case is a perfect example of mass hallucination. Read my previous article I posted on this. The case in France had people seeing monsters and dragons. It also caused deaths, and the dragons were said to be "violent" as well.

Does it mean this French town was attacked by monsters and dragons? Of course not. The most logical explanation for this is most likely a hallucinogen introduced into the water supply (or some other means of mass spreading), and the town went nuts.

It's a much more plausible scenario than aliens who traveled millions of light years to puncture their clavicles at night with beams of light.

No, this Brazilian case is very odd, and doesn't fit the normal UFO pattern that we've come to expect over the decades.

I agree. It's not the usual MO of a "close encounter"... it's more the MO of mass hallucination..

Edited by Cpl599

How do you even know there were UFO's? This case is a perfect example of mass hallucination. Read my previous article I posted on this. The case in France had people seeing monsters and dragons. It also caused deaths, and the dragons were said to be "violent" as well.

Does it mean this French town was attacked by monsters and dragons? Of course not. The most logical explanation for this is most likely a hallucinogen introduced into the water supply (or some other means of mass spreading), and the town went nuts.

It's a much more plausible scenario than aliens who traveled millions of light years to puncture their clavicles at night with beams of light.

Except that all the pictures and films the military made were not hallucinations.

If you're going to say those were fake, then that would also mean that the Brazilian military was participating in this CIA experiment, and then using UFOs as a cover story.

Except that all the pictures and films the military made were not hallucinations.

Those "pictures" look like blurry lights. Did you even READ my previous post? There is absolutely NO points of reference in ANY of them. How can you say, with absolute certainty, those "lights" were taken in the sky?

As I said, they probably went bat **** crazy thinking the street lights were "attacking them" and snapped blurry, unfocused pictures of the street lights.

Seems a lot more plausible, as I said, than little green men traveling a million light years to attack some natives clavicles with "beams of light"...

If you're going to say those were fake, then that would also mean that the Brazilian military was participating in this CIA experiment, and then using UFOs as a cover story.

Who said they were fake? I clearly said they were unfocused pics of lights that could have originated from anywhere the person hallucinating pointed his/her camera at.

As for the Brazilian military covering it up, if you really did read my previous posts, you would have seen my reference to MK ULTRA.. which the Canadian government also participated in and covered up, so it's not beyond the realm of possibility that the Brazilian government became "involved"... and the fact that they shut the operation down and hid all documents, something the US and Canadian governments TRIED to do (but failed) with MK ULTRA, coupled with the fact that these people inhibited the same sorts of hallucinogenic reactions the people in the France CIA LCD op had, it doesn't really take a genius to figure out what happened in that town.

But far be it for me to wag my finger at your opinion. I was just saying, this incident has a lot in common with previous CIA mind control experiments (and what better place to conduct them than low profile, small towns like the one in France, and this one in Brazil)

If you would rather believe aliens from another world traveled all this way to corn hole the clavicles of the natives, yet only come out at night with their big bright lights for everyone to see, then more power to you. I still believe my more terrestrial explanation makes more sense.