Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Brain scanner 'reads' people's dreams

Still Waters

Most of us remember only a tiny fraction of our dreams - but that could soon change.

Scientists predict that we could soon use computers to 'see' what we have dreamed about - and perhaps even record dreams to watch the next day.

Psychiatrists at the Max Planck Institute in Munich, Germany think have already demonstrated that brain scanners can see into the dreams of 'lucid dreamers' - people who can control their dreams.

It means that recent breakthroughs in 'reading' the thoughts of waking subjects using brain monitors could apply to dreamers too.

The Planck institute scientists proved that scans of 'lucid dreamers' dreams looked the same as scans of their brain when they do the same thing while conscious.

The research, published in Current Biology, could be used with recently demonstrated 'reconstruction' technology to create moving images of people's dreams.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• _Only

• Bildr

• baro67

• Reason101

Good God, get out of our heads, technology! :unsure2:

I don't like this...I don't like this at all. Soon, even the privacy of our thoughts will be gone. May God (or whatever power you choose) help us then.

Yeah fraught with danger, but the upside is - there may be a way to investigate precognative dreaming and answer the question of it's existence once and for all, not to mention telepathy etc. The studies that could be done is intruiging to consider.:yes:

It would help lucid dreamers in creating their own dream maps.

I would like to watch my dreams. Lucid dreaming is HIGHLY interesting subject. I read about it for years.

I met person who is going in schoolfor Lucid dreamers. In her dream she realize by pracitce that she is dreaming, she made some tests and when she is sure, show starts. She doing things that she couldnt in real life. I realy wonder HOW is that possible? Dreams sure have purpose. Why would we dream if id dont, right?

Its like insanity in safety room. Like some tells you okay : Now you are able to anything, you are dreaming but feels real. Its like virtual world, it could be natures response for stress so now we can naturaly venting.

We can solved our phobias. We can become better persons. We can practice life just by dreaming of it.

Funny how science think that REM isnt connected with dreams yet research show that 90% cases when person was awaken in REM phase that person could tell his dream. Only 10 % of people can rememver dreams if awaken in normal phase.

Also if person is hit by water in REM phase he will wake up and most of them will have long dream of how he/she was on the rain or in cold sea or similar for hours. But when you hit person with water in normal sleep he would not have similar expirience. Also how one moment (hiting with cold water) can give us expirence of something happening for hours. Makes you think.

And when Astral projection come into story gets even wierder.

Thanks Stillwaters :tu:

Edited by the L

Wouldn't get too exited - Daily Mail news is more like the national enquirer. Its why in the UK we call it the 'Daily Fail'. More like a comic book than a news paper.

Edited by Maff

Yeah? I thought the Daily mail was far better than some other news papers in circulation in UK? Not sure though :)

I think if this is possible at all, it would still be quite some time before it becomes a reality. I can appreciate why people might find it a bit on the intrusive side, but if it enables researchers to discover a correct way of interpreting our dreams, then it could be a valuable tool in the arsenal of psychiatrists, counsellors and other kinds of therapists.

On the other hand, it IS the Daily Mail...

Good God, get out of our heads, technology! :unsure2:

So much time & money wasted on useless gizmos :unsure: when we could use time,money&technological knowledge to do more usefull things; like finding cures of deadly sickness <_<

review the day after our dreams using our computers .. but please, this will never happen

Given that it is already possible to read (very blury and inexact) images from waking brain activity I see no reason why this should not be perfectly possible eventually .However I have no desire to watch my dreams ,the bits I remember are quite odd enough ,besides many experts believe that dreams as they happen are nothing but a series of random images and that we "create" a story when we remember them because they wouldn't make any sense otherwise.

Having said that I can see how being able to record dreams for psycho therapy might be useful..but it does raise all kinds of concerns .Imagine if potential employers wanted to see dream clips to find out what kind of people we are..not so far fetched considering they already use hand writing analisis

All in all maybe our dreams are best left alone .

It is possible that these experiments are being paid for by the military for military purposes such as mind control. We only see a small piece of the program which involved controlling dreams with the use of computers.

I do not trust such experiments after own history of Mk-Ultra experiments of the 50s,60s and 70s where experiments were done in many mental hospitals in the US and Canada with the goal of making a 'manchurian candidate', a person programmed to kill against his or her will.

I wonder if the terrorists are using some of this technology in programming suicide bombers. You can say they are motivated by religion, but I wonder if that is enough to commit suicide with a bomb. They could be using drugs, electro shocks and advanced methods of hypnotism. Or maybe it is possible to just use the internet to put somebody into a mental willing to take orders to kill such as Major Hanson who slaughtered 13 soldiers. Maybe there are certain frequencies attacked to these sites that affect the brain where you have no control of your mental state.

Years ago there were complaints that the movies had secret ads built into them saying such things as, 'eat popcorn'. They only appeared for a fraction of a second, but they did motivate people to buy popcorn. The practice stopped, but can the internet transmit such messages to your unconscious? And the messages say kill soldiers or anybody else?

It's coming.

I think I would have been more convinced if that second "scan" didn't say, chick.com in the lower right corner. And howcome the dreamer put Steve Martin in a t-shirt instead of uniform? I think the editors faked the image.

• 4 weeks later...

jeezzz...hope my GF does not get her hands on this and use it on me.....that would be bad...uhhh...

*insert joke about wet - dreams and short circutes here*

• 2 weeks later...

You cannot read peoples dreams.

Yes, we can to a primitive degree already, and as we map out the brain further, including what electric activity fires off where in the brain, and the result, it's not at all a jump in logic to think we can be able to map out activity in dreams extensively, and interpret them.

Edited by Jerry Only

I am one of those people who dream EVERY NIGHT. If I don't dream something is wrong and I am worried. I do not now or ever want to replay the dreams in my head. Who the heck wants to replay nightmares anyways.

I personally think dreaming is just a part of our own subconcious and it is an important part of our brains.

• 3 months later...

I am one of those people who dream EVERY NIGHT. If I don't dream something is wrong and I am worried. I do not now or ever want to replay the dreams in my head. Who the heck wants to replay nightmares anyways.

I personally think dreaming is just a part of our own subconcious and it is an important part of our brains.

So if you don't dream you think something is wrong, but if you do dream they are nightmares which you wouldn't ever want to replay? Sounds a little backwards...

I assume some of this research was done using fMRI or functional MRI. It's been around for a few years. It's quite complex and requires LOTS of computing power as well as very specific programs tailored for the results one is looking for. I only know it's infancy. Scanning a patient while they tap their left index finger for example. Or have them visualize an object. The image is derived by looking at changes in contrast in the brain tissue due to the extra O2 that is used in the brain in the area responsible for that activity. The occipital lobe for example will "light up" when visual images are being remembered. It's really cool. And if those really blurry images are real output from a scanner then the science has made huge leaps in a decade. Five years ago you'd only see small areas of pixelation in the area responsible for the test activity.