Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Curse of Tutankhamun may have been work of

Still Waters

Six mysterious London deaths famously attributed to the 'Curse of Tutankhamun' were actually murders by notorious Satanist Aleister Crowley, a historian claims in a new book.

Incredible parallels between Crowley and Jack the Ripper have also been discovered during research by historian Mark Beynon.

Throughout the 1920s and 1930s, London was gripped by the mythical curse of Tutankhamun, the Egyptian boy-king, whose tomb was uncovered by British archaeologist Howard Carter.

More than 20 people linked to the opening of the pharaoh's burial chamber in Luxor in 1923 bizarrely died over the following years - six of them in the capital.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 19
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Sir Wearer of Hats

• rashore

• The Puzzler

• Still Waters

Lots of speculation, albeit Crowley wasn't a saint (ROLF) (he called himself a beast 666) the author doesn't seem to prove anything.

After unique analysis of Crowley's diaries, essays and books and inquest reports, the armchair detective argues that he was a Jack the Ripper-obsessed copycat killer.

How being poisoned, thrown out a window or smothered could be compared to the work of the ripper.

Crowley never mentions the deaths in his diaries but often wrote that his mood had "lifted" the day after them.

Heck if he found out the people who "sacrilegiously" open the tomb died themselves, of course his mood would have lifted.

Now it is true that Crowley may have been a schizophrenic, but there are absolutely no proof of it. Any one who has dabbed in Magick is prolly considered as a sicko.

oops misspelling :P

Edited by Paracelse

That's an interesting theory. Not sure if I agree with it though.

I have to wonder if the lifted mood was because he read about the death in the paper, and yeah, felt good that someone associated with Tut died. Does not necessarily mean he was the killer, if indeed all the deaths were killings. I think that's a big if.

I believe that the author has either (lets be polite and say) built upon the works of someone online (unless that was themselves) who also claimed that Crowley was Hitler.

I call poppycock. Crowley's reputation of wickedness was primarily due to his unrestrained sexuality. By today's standards, he wouldn't even be consider a mild pervert.

I call poppycock. Crowley's reputation of wickedness was primarily due to his unrestrained sexuality. By today's standards, he wouldn't even be consider a mild pervert.

Crowley's reputation for wickedness was primarily due to him being a PR genius and mad as the day is long.

Well Crowley did have some interesting notions. What little I know of him comes from inheriting a Crowley tarot deck. Wow, incredible imagery. Very powerful.

Anywho.. Wouldn't be surprised if he did wish ill and take what he thought of as justifiable lifting of spirits when tomb breakers came to their various ends. I feel the same way sometimes, when I read stories of desecration of burial sites. Wouldn't be shocked to find he cast about in, mmm, spooky ways for such things to happen. NSS, he was a spooky guy.

I'm just not feeling the connection between that and active sponsoring and participation in purposeful murder here.

Or perhaps from a spooky point of view, this is the connection. That the fruit of all his ill bore fruition. That directly or no, Crowley had an impact on several deaths surrounding Tuts curse.

The mood being lifted the day after part wasn't about those attached to the tomb who died. It was about his servants in India. The author was accusing Crowley of killing them and being in a better mood the next day.

Like I said before I will say again, Extraordinary claims require Extraordinary evidence

I've read that Crowley had psychopathic tendencies, eg as a teen he killed cats in different ways to see if the 9 lives thing was real. To do that in the first place shows that he had something missing apart from common sense. Also didn't he leave someone injured to die alone on a mountain 'cos he wanted to finish the climb and couldn't be bothered to help?

i dont agree with the tone of your comment.

huh? anyone can post, its a free world. doesnt subscribe to individual tates and preferences.

Crowley's reputation for wickedness was primarily due to him being a PR genius and mad as the day is long.

EXACTLY.

Besides, people have been known to die of disease after opening a tomb hitherto sealed for thousands of years, which is why archaeologists now wait several days, to properly ventilate a newly opened site, before entering.

I know Prince Fahmy Bey was murdered by his wife because he repeatedly sodomised her to the point she needed surgery. Let's not forget that this was the 20s and 30s so medical operations would have been riskier than now. The fact that there are artifacts nearby in several cases is really grasping at straws, and Crowley's predilection for Jack the Ripper (who butchered prostitues with a knife) has nothing to do with any of these deaths. :no:

• 1 month later...

ugh...one more overused security-blanket statement "Extraordinary claims require Extraordinary evidence." from the over-rated yet very trendy Carl Sagan/Philip Klass Cabin-Boys...and that is coming from a cynical realist who has seen stranger things than this article. also murder or ritual killing is not extraordinary...it is just death.

ugh...one more overused security-blanket statement "Extraordinary claims require Extraordinary evidence." from the over-rated yet very trendy Carl Sagan/Philip Klass Cabin-Boys...and that is coming from a cynical realist who has seen stranger things than this article. also murder or ritual killing is not extraordinary...it is just death.

Extraordinary claims do require extraordinary evidence. Ask any experimental physicist. If you demonstrate something out of the ordinary, it will be scrutinized to a level of detail that requires extraordinary evidence. There is nothing extraordinary in that (pun intended). It's a fact of life, deal with it.

Cheers,

Badeskov

A little off topic but ozzy wrote a cool song about Crowley the name of the song is

Mr Crowley

Pretty interesting stuff.

Edited by The Puzzler