Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do Einstein's Laws Prove Ghosts Exist?

Still Waters

Every night, amateur ghost-hunting groups across the country head out into abandoned warehouses, old buildings and cemeteries to look for ghosts. They often bring along electronic equipment that they believe helps them locate ghostly energy.

Despite years of efforts by ghost hunters on TV and in real life, we still do not have good proof that ghosts are real.Many ghost hunters believe that strong support for the existence of ghosts can be found in modern physics. Specifically, that Albert Einstein, one of the greatest scientific minds of all time, offered a scientific basis for the reality of ghosts.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ShadowofaDoubt

• JesseCuster

• coldethyl

• Rlyeh

So, surely when we die, the whatever energy goes to environment.

But, should there be some really rare cases that energy sticks around a certain place?

So, surely when we die, the whatever energy goes to environment.

But, should there be some really rare cases that energy sticks around a certain place?

What kind of energy? Heat, kinetic, chemical?

Energy is the quantity of a system's ability to do work, not a mystical substance.

I wrote a blog post about this a while back: http://shadow-doubt.blogspot.com/2011/01/fools-gambit.html

Edited by shadowofadoubt

"Ghosts may indeed exist, but neither Einstein nor his laws of physics suggests that ghosts are real."

:tu: exactly.

I've wondered for a long time if this is why people connect ghosts with electro-magnetism or if it's a post hoc hypothesis, basically the other way around. An even bigger question is why this notion has spread around and copy/ pasted into every ghost hunter's lexicon of "paranormal facts"

I've wondered for a long time if this is why people connect ghosts with electro-magnetism or if it's a post hoc hypothesis, basically the other way around.

I would suggest that it is because it is easy to do ``cool things'' with electromagnetism (to impress lay audiences) but the basic laws behind electromagnetism are not very well understood by ordinary people.

You don't just get ghosthunters spouting pseudoscience and technobabble involving electromagnetism, after all. E&M sprouts up in phoney medical cure-alls, as exotic drives for UFOs, etc.

I find it ironic because the laws governing electromagnetic force are understood much much much better than the laws governing all the other fundamental forces.

Although I suppose the scientific understanding of E&M may help ghosthunters use it to dupe their gullible audiences. I'm sure if I poked around a spooky old house with a sensitive magnetometer I could discover regions with ``anomalous'' or ``residual'' electromagnetic fields... I would probably then rip open the walls to search for poorly shielded wiring, but that's just me.

Edited by sepulchrave

What if... now this is just my theory.. what if the human body is nothing more than a vessel which the "soul" -drives- and when the body itself dies, perhaps that marks the next stage of evolution, be it a ball of energy or perhaps reincarnation. think of crabs, snakes, spiders etc that, when they grow out of their "old" skin/exoskeleton the shed and are "reborn".

Edited by draconis

A "driver" drives a "car", he pumps his car with "fuel" daily to "feed" it.One day, he found out that there is a bomb in his car, he jumped out right after the car explode. Where do all the energy (driver+car) go?

The best way to convince people that ghosts don't exist is to get them to watch an episode of most haunted. Or you could get them to visit a television medium.

More to the point is what Special Relativity, and a variety of other related models, say about the nature of time. As described by Louis de Broglie, If we could view the four-dimensional continuum in its entirety, we would see that past, present, and future ‘already’ exist in their totality, embedded, so to speak, in the fabric of space-time. Although we appear to discover new slices of space-time as successive aspects of the material world, the ensemble of events that constitute the space-time continuum exist prior to our awareness of them. Thus, from outside the illusory constraints of time, we would see that the entity IS eternal.

http://www.pleasantmountpress.com/nonfiction/faith-and-physics/

What kind of energy? Heat, kinetic, chemical?

Energy is the quantity of a system's ability to do work, not a mystical substance.

I wrote a blog post about this a while back: http://shadow-doubt....ols-gambit.html

Surely there's always a possibility that there are kinds of energy that we are still not capable to register and comprehend.

Surely there's always a possibility that there are kinds of energy that we are still not capable to register and comprehend.

Like Mana?

I'm not a firm believer of ghosts of any sort. But the article contradicts itself horribly.

First of all, it mentions that the energy "generated" by our organisms transfers to others by the means of digestion. I completely and utterly disagree. Our digestion system is designed to absorb necessary nutrients, that is molecules, that our cells need in order to function and transfer new energy. Our digestion system is not designed at all to absorb energy, but necessary components of organic matter.

In fact, the energy "generated" by our bodies does indeed transforms into heat energy, but this one does indeed end up in the air and dissipates, or transform into other types of energy.

Secondly, the author claims that the energy created by our bodies is simply cut off from its generation source and compares it to the electrical current of a lightbulb. The example, in my humble opinion, is completely out of place and absurd. Yes indeed, the energy is no longer generated, but that doesn't mean it dissapears, not at all, a large fraction of it turns once again into heat and joins the enviroment. Comparing it with the electrical current of a lightbulb is stupidly wrong.

To wrap this all up, the author claims that the energy rejoins the enviroment in form of food. I'll just leave that there.

The energy that makes our bodies function largely still lingers along after our death. The real question Ghost Hunters and researchers of the field do ask themselves, is if this energy does indeed contain some sort of personality. Something which I believe is a fair question.

But the author of this article seems bound to leave them all in ridicule, and makes horrible mistakes while at it. This surprises me coming from livescience.

Edited by Edel

So the whatever energy disperses into the environment when we die. So what happens during conception? Some of that whatever energy coalesces and "posseses" a fetus the moment a heart takes it's first beat? Or, is there constant dispersal of energy, due to new energy always being created? Interesting questions.

I'm not a firm believer of ghosts of any sort. But the article contradicts itself horribly.

First of all, it mentions that the energy "generated" by our organisms transfers to others by the means of digestion. I completely and utterly disagree. Our digestion system is designed to absorb necessary nutrients, that is molecules, that our cells need in order to function and transfer new energy. Our digestion system is not designed at all to absorb energy, but necessary components of organic matter.

In fact, the energy "generated" by our bodies does indeed transforms into heat energy, but this one does indeed end up in the air and dissipates, or transform into other types of energy.

Secondly, the author claims that the energy created by our bodies is simply cut off from its generation source and compares it to the electrical current of a lightbulb. The example, in my humble opinion, is completely out of place and absurd. Yes indeed, the energy is no longer generated, but that doesn't mean it dissapears, not at all, a large fraction of it turns once again into heat and joins the enviroment. Comparing it with the electrical current of a lightbulb is stupidly wrong.

To wrap this all up, the author claims that the energy rejoins the enviroment in form of food. I'll just leave that there.

The energy that makes our bodies function largely still lingers along after our death. The real question Ghost Hunters and researchers of the field do ask themselves, is if this energy does indeed contain some sort of personality. Something which I believe is a fair question.

But the author of this article seems bound to leave them all in ridicule, and makes horrible mistakes while at it. This surprises me coming from livescience.

I don't think you understand the term "energy"

Yet there's no evidence of it and it would still fall under the description of the quantity of a system's ability to do work, so if there is some other kind of energy, it still wouldn't explain ghosts.

Does the fact that some ghosts have the ability to pass through solid objects suggest that maybe they don't conform to known laws of physics...

Does the fact that some ghosts have the ability to pass through solid objects suggest that maybe they don't conform to known laws of physics...

First of all, that's not a FACT.

Second, if they don't conform to the laws of physics, why try to craft explanations from them?

I don't think the theory proves ghosts exist... However if ghosts do exist, it's not a bad theory for the reason why they exist.

First of all, that's not a FACT.

Second, if they don't conform to the laws of physics, why try to craft explanations from them?

Granted it's not a fact.But if ghosts were ever proven to exist,would they be made of atoms like us or the world around us.

I don't think the theory proves ghosts exist... However if ghosts do exist, it's not a bad theory for the reason why they exist.

If they do exist, this "theory" has nothing to do with them. It doesn't make sense. it hinges on the misunderstanding of what energy is.

If they do exist, this "theory" has nothing to do with them. It doesn't make sense. it hinges on the misunderstanding of what energy is.

Lol, I didn't say it was a good theory or a supportable one. Just not a bad one :) There are some pretty awful theories out there.

I don't think you understand the term "energy"

I do understand, however, that not all energy goes under the same nature. I do understand the concept of energy being the quantity measurement of the system's ability to do work. However the definition of energy is somewhat...varied. Luminous energy, radiant energy, or in other words..light, does not follow the concept of work but that of non-physical photons and wavelengths. Light is one of the most interesting and unique forms of 'energy', so to speak.

My point is...not so recently ago we discovered the wonderful phenomenon of Light, which was called 'energy'. There could be other also unique forms and manifestations of 'energy' we might not know about yet. Pardon me sir, but I think that's a very fair assumption.