Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

blue eyes have a common ancestor

Bracket

People with blue eyes have a single, common ancestor, according to new research.

A team of scientists has tracked down a genetic mutation that leads to blue eyes.The mutation occurred between 6,000 and 10,000 years ago, so before then, there were no blue eyes.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lilly

• MissMelsWell

• GirlfromOz

• Bracket

Wow, that's my great, great, great, great, great, great. great, great, great, great, great, great Grandma! ^_^

*since the mutation was from female genetic material I guess that should read "Grandma"*

Edited by Lilly
corrrection

Very interesting. My eyes are brown. :hmm:

Wish I had mutant eyes...

Very interesting. My eyes are brown. :hmm:

Wish I had mutant eyes...

I love brown eyes....they are sexy. That's one of the first things that attracted me to my husband.

I have to call my eyes hazel, because they aren't any one color and change with the light. :rolleyes:

Ok my brother has brown eyes, my sister has blue eyes, and I have green eyes. We all have the same mom and dad. WTF? Are we all Danish?

I've traced us back to Irish and English and now one of us has a Dane. Hope it's Judi Dench. :w00t:

omfg!!! i descend from a mutation =D! hang on, so every other person with blue eyes i am somewhat related to them over generations? was me and my ex's with blue eyes classed as incest???? lol

Edited by omg lemonade

All I want to know is,How in God's name do they truly know that brown eyes were the norm,thousands of years ago? The fact that blue eyes were a genetic anomally is far beyond my understanding!The bible states that some had magnificent hair,etc were beautiful beyond human capacity etc.The gene pool is something that amazes me.We are all a variety of what is given to us that God gave us.No-one knows what Adam looked like!No-one knows what his eyes or skin colouring were!Give it a break guys! LOL

....so every other person with blue eyes i am somewhat related to them over generations? was me and my ex's with blue eyes classed as incest???? lol

No, it's just that one particular genetic trait, not a whole bunch of your genetics that's similar. Keep in mind, we humans are all still the same species, so we share many genetic traits. :yes:

I was the only member of my family NOT to have blue eyes.. .My eyes are green... my hubby and daughter both have blue eyes too.. I remain the odd one out

Maybe men prefer females with less-aggressive blue eyes whilst women prefer more protective dark eyed males?

Blue eyes are "less aggressive"? Does the word "Vikings" lead you to think "less aggressive"? Probably more like, "Gee, those eyes are different, kind of pretty actually". The rest is history (literally).

So I am blue eyed too! For vanity's sake I might just say that I am special & I have inherited an anomalous gene!LOL There are many varieties that have popped up over the many years of humankind!Since the migration of man over the many continents & the isolation of many families,many have become genetically faulty.There is a questionaire in a medical practitioners office of where you originate,due to the fact that if you are from an isolated region on Earth,your genes may be subject to a particular blood disease that comes from interbreeding!These were noted in the bible many years ago after marrying your family member was forbidden,after Noah!How wise were they then when they knew all that came from this?

...by this logic, we can also say many people with brown eyes probably also have the same ancestor. This is because brown eyes are dominant genes.

Which still doesn't explain how my brother is the only one of us with blue eyes...curious...

...by this logic, we can also say many people with brown eyes probably also have the same ancestor. This is because brown eyes are dominant genes.

Which still doesn't explain how my brother is the only one of us with blue eyes...curious...

Brown eyes are dominant (genetically speaking) the genotype of a brown eyed person can be two brown BB or Bb (the lower case b indicating the mutation for blue/green). Therefore, brown eyed people can carry the gene for blue eyes. It's actually more complicated (genetically) than just this, but you get the basic picture.

what about animals with blue eyes? does this apply to them as well, and are we linked to them too then?

i'm not convinced.

so the article said everyone used to have brown eyes... ok and now this explains blue eyes, but what of green hazel, black, violet, gray...

So I guess this means my sister with green eyes doesn't have that same ancestor - you know how stupid that sounds.

So I guess this means my sister with green eyes doesn't have that same ancestor - you know how stupid that sounds.

It isn't for sure that you're going to have the same color eyes as your siblings or parents just due to the fact there is more then just their eye color in their dna they're passing along.

And while I'm here... Death to the brown eyes! :lol:

Edited by __Kratos__

All I want to know is,How in God's name do they truly know that brown eyes were the norm,thousands of years ago? The fact that blue eyes were a genetic anomally is far beyond my understanding!The bible states that some had magnificent hair,etc were beautiful beyond human capacity etc.The gene pool is something that amazes me.We are all a variety of what is given to us that God gave us.No-one knows what Adam looked like!No-one knows what his eyes or skin colouring were!Give it a break guys! LOL

Yeah, I always wondered how science knows that we all had brown eyes once. Maybe they built a time machine and went back to make that determination. LOL :lol: