Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Balloon

Barrington

Dear all,

First I would like to say hello as I am a new member to this site.

Second I would like to say I do not normally write to or take part in forums such as these but recent events have led to me seeking an answer or answers.

On Fathers Day this year (2011) my stepson bought me a Helium filled balloon which is metallic gold with the words No 1 Dad printed on both sides of it. It was attached to a ribbon approximateley 5 feet in length to the end of which was attached a plastic weight.

I placed this balloon in the corner of my Lounge and, to be honest, largely ignored its existance until last week for some unexplained reason I took a pair of scissors and cut the ribbon releasing the balloon from its constraint.

Since the day I cut the ribbon the ballon has 'followed' me around the house and continues to do so. There is no rythmic pattern to this following and the 'following' is becoming more and more obvious.

The other day I went upstairs in our 4 bedroom Edwardian House for a bath. I was in the bathroom for about 40 minutes. When I had finished bathing I opened the Bathroom door and right outside the door was the balloon at exactly eye level as though it had followed me and was waiting for me to complete my ablutions.

I came home yesterday and it had positioned itself in the exact spot where I normally sit in the lounge.

Last night whilst I was watching a 2 hour documentary on TV it kept obscuring my line of sight to the TV. I ignored it so it eventually travelled over to the TV and parked itself right in front of the TV screen.

When I went upstairs to bed last night it followed me up the stairs at not inconsiderable speed and rested at the foot of my bed. When I awoke this morning it was 'hovering' directly above my head.

Only myself and my partner live in the house and as well as denying any interferance with the balloon some of the events have occurred with my partner not at home.

I wonder if anyone can offer an explanation of these events.

• Like 1

More amazing is how a helium balloon that is almost five months old is still afloat. A month afloat is pushing it, but five months - no way.

Edited by Moonie2012

It was accidentally filled with a ghost?

Seriously, though, are you sure it's not just air currents in the house? Helium balloons are also very sensitive to static electricity from people, appliances, etc.

And welcome to UM, by the way!

Neutral buoyancy balloon.

It follows you, it hovers... it seems haunted. Wind currents from movement, like water eddies cause it to "chase" movement.

Draughts may cause it to move around.

Also heating, temp change would cause movement.

But i seriously doubt either of these reasons could cause it to block the tv whilst you are watching.

My advice if you want it, would be.

Burst it and throw it away,

Or, let it go outside and let the wind blow it away.

Welcome to UM :)

Yeah a 5 month old balloon is somewhat suspicious.

The same thing happened to me however with an Elmo balloon I bought fo rmy daughter - even had almost the exact same bathroom experience you mention.

Here's the deal thoug - as Mylar balloons loose helium over time and get to that stage where they are barely bouyant, they become extrememly susceptible to air current, solar heating, etc. I noticed that the balloon could be in one corner of a room, I simply walk thorugh said room, and then a few minutes later, the balloon has "followed" me - it was simply the draft I created as I walked through the room.

Nothing paranormal about it.

• Like 1

:3 My friend brought a helium balloon over once, and it followed my sister around for weeks. It followed her down the stairs, in her room it floated over to wherever she was, and when it started to deflate it somehow lodged itself in her closet...

Imagine if it had a face, that'd be creepy. :lol:

• Like 1

Welcome to UM :) That is a very odd and interesting experiences you've had there. I don't think that I have heard anything like that before. I wish I could somehow explain it. Isn't it true that certain objects can be "haunted"? But I can't think of a reason that the balloon would be haunted... :unsure2: Maybe it just wants to be your friend :P j/k. I hope you can figure out what's going on soon. Best of luck to you and thanks for sharing. :)

Edited by Disembodied Voice

Well, thats strange ... how bout you video the balloon? I would love to see it :yes:

• 5 years later...

This happened to me yesterday. Same deal. Helium filled balloon which followed me out of a room, down some stairs, around a corner, around another 2 corners and into a room where I was sitting.  Really weird and it totally freaked me out.

Especially that it happened whilst I was out and I had seen the balloon in my little daughter's room (she and my wife are out of the country at the moment its just me in the house) that morning. Then when I came back that afternoon the balloon was in a totally different part of the house.

I guess it must be static electricity. Phew! Feel much better now.

• 3 months later...

Not that scary but I found this weird

So last night (2017) my best friend and I where walking home at 11:00pm and we where walking down a long dark road with a forest one side of the road and a black berry feild on the other. As we where walking we saw a balloon it was silver and shiny and you could clearly see it. It was floating diagonally down but it then stopped and went straight down like someone was pulling it down. 

That wasn't scary but it was weird.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Today I was walking past a store. The exit door opened and a Valentines balloon floated out the door, right up to me. Nobody in the store was in my sight. I took the baloon inside, where I could see a young woman filling gallons from a tank. She looked up at me as I approached her, then glanced at the small bundle of filled baloons next to her, then looked to me again with a puzzled expression. I walked up to the counter and handed her the baloon , asking "Did you lose something?" She replied by questioning me how I got it. I explained, and she seemed almost startled, she had seen nobody go past her out the door, and said she had just filled that balloon and turned to fill the next. She thanked me for returning it. I went further into the store and purchased a couple candles and a soda. I left the store and stopped to put my purchases in my backpack. I lit a cigar and continued down the block.I stopped to watch the ladies at the Jazzercise, checked out a guitar in the window of the music store. I continued to the end of the block, where I stopped to put on my headphones and start a music playlist on my phone. I finished that task, and as I looked up from my phone, the same ball on was floating up to me again. It was about 10 feet away and about 12 feet high. It descended right up to me at chest height. I took it home.

• Confused 1

That's an possesed alien ghost pet balloon you need to banish it, just let it out. ;-)

Edited by Impedancer

• 1 year later...
On 11/12/2011 at 8:37 AM, Barrington said:

Dear all,

First I would like to say hello as I am a new member to this site.

Second I would like to say I do not normally write to or take part in forums such as these but recent events have led to me seeking an answer or answers.

On Fathers Day this year (2011) my stepson bought me a Helium filled balloon which is metallic gold with the words No 1 Dad printed on both sides of it. It was attached to a ribbon approximateley 5 feet in length to the end of which was attached a plastic weight.

I placed this balloon in the corner of my Lounge and, to be honest, largely ignored its existance until last week for some unexplained reason I took a pair of scissors and cut the ribbon releasing the balloon from its constraint.

Since the day I cut the ribbon the ballon has 'followed' me around the house and continues to do so. There is no rythmic pattern to this following and the 'following' is becoming more and more obvious.

The other day I went upstairs in our 4 bedroom Edwardian House for a bath. I was in the bathroom for about 40 minutes. When I had finished bathing I opened the Bathroom door and right outside the door was the balloon at exactly eye level as though it had followed me and was waiting for me to complete my ablutions.

I came home yesterday and it had positioned itself in the exact spot where I normally sit in the lounge.

Last night whilst I was watching a 2 hour documentary on TV it kept obscuring my line of sight to the TV. I ignored it so it eventually travelled over to the TV and parked itself right in front of the TV screen.

When I went upstairs to bed last night it followed me up the stairs at not inconsiderable speed and rested at the foot of my bed. When I awoke this morning it was 'hovering' directly above my head.

Only myself and my partner live in the house and as well as denying any interferance with the balloon some of the events have occurred with my partner not at home.

I wonder if anyone can offer an explanation of these events.

Freaky a$$ balloons follow me and my kids around for months if i don't pop them . scares the hell out of me .