Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Skyrim General Info

booNyzarC

You could always go back to Daggerfall if you want. I played it for about two hours before I couldn't stomach the graphics any more. And yes, I bought it and played it when it was new.

Morrowind was a big improvement, and I played it for quite a bit longer, but I still walked away for the same reason.

I loved the graphics of Oblivion and actually played it most of the way through. I hear that there is a way to play Morrowind with a graphics improvement now, so I may actually go back to that at some point.

But beside all of that... how can you say that Skyrim is shallow? The game world is huge! The stories are extremely varied as are the characters. And the graphics are literally jaw dropping. A TON of work went into this game. I really don't agree with your criticisms.

Ah well, to each his or her own I guess.

Cheers.

Funny how you couldn't stand Daggerfall's graphics when it came out :D . Seriously what other "gorgeous" games were out? The first Red Alert? Quake 1? Hahaha

On a further note I have wished that they could create a game centered around all of the provinces of Tamriel, similar to Daggerfall. Imagine what it would be like to have a game like Skyrim coupled with the scope of Daggerfall? That would be epic beyond all reason hahaha!

Yeah lol. The scope of Daggerfall, folklore of Morrowind and graphics of Skyrim :w00t: And if you could visit any province like in Arena...

Funny how you couldn't stand Daggerfall's graphics when it came out :D . Seriously what other "gorgeous" games were out? The first Red Alert? Quake 1? Hahaha

Well, yeah. I was pretty into Quake and then Quake 2 at the time. I guess it wasn't just the graphics, but also the fast paced game play and higher quality physics modeling that these FPS games provided.

At any rate, I won't say Daggerfall was a bad game because it wasn't by any means. I just couldn't get into it for some reason.

Cheers.

Well what can I say... I'm glad you guys are having fun. But for me as a long time TES fan since Daggerfall this is a big disappointment, albeit an expected one after Oblivion. I guess it's just the state of the industry and it cant be helped. Aim at a wide audience with graphics, muscled warriors and unimaginative storylines. Daggerfall was awesome. For such an old game the atmosphere was great. You could get lost in a dungeon and look for a way out for months haha. The world was so big, I think I never managed to visit every town or dungeon. Morrowind was a lot smaller in scale but still fantastic. Atmosphere was absolutely alien. Going from town to town felt like going from planet to planet. You didn't have either fast travel or quest compass introduced in Oblivion. Each town had a specific architecture and feel. Some towns were medieval looking, some were made out of giant mushrooms or giant hollowed-out crab shells and some were a combination. Plus this land had a complex political picture filled with intrigue and culture clashes. Oblivion was ... meh. You could finish an entire guild storyline in a day (and there was only 4 guilds compared to Morrowind's 13). I couldn't notice any big differences between settlements and towns were much smaller then MW's. Although one thing Oblivion did great was combat and how it was integrated with spellcasting, that was so smooth. Skyrim has beautiful landscapes and fun combat but definitely feels shallow. Even smaller settlements (Winterhold which was supposed to be a regional capital only has three buildings?) and Nords everywhere. No variety whatsoever (you took an arrow to the knee?). What's more, your actions have no consequences. I can be an Orc and nobody would treat me differently. Magic system is shallow compared to Oblivion, very few spells and no spellmaking. I'd say Skyrim is a (great) hiking simulator with RPG elements, but far from a TES game. TES went from being a true RPG to a streamlining linear action-adventure. Get with the times and get used to it now, because the major game companies will never go back to the Golden Age. This is the Green ($$$) Age :D

Hmmm i did not play arena or dagerfall but i'd have to agree with this. the game was ok and fun but felt boring..dunno why. in my experience most people who are "blown away" by skyrim never played previous games. that or they are 12 year olds (which kinda puts them in the first group =P)

After beating the main quest, there is this dull but compulsive redundancy to the game. Building my third character, switching over from light armour to heavy armour due to finding some perfectly fit enchanted armour pieces.

I am basically on a treasure hunt for gold, enchanted weapons, and soul gems to recharge my weapons. Lydia, my support follower, has been given two fireball staffs and frost atronach staff, she blazes away on the tougher bosses or enemies en masse. I go into sneak mode and steal coin purses, potions, and enchanted weapons I know I will use (as stolen goods cant be sold in the marketplace) from anyone and everyone I cross paths with. Destroy small bands of roaming Imperial soldiery I run across.

Archery created new fun due to the slow-mo and telescopic zoom level ups. But yeah, I dont know how much longer I am going to hold onto the game.

Hmmm i did not play arena or dagerfall but i'd have to agree with this. the game was ok and fun but felt boring..dunno why. in my experience most people who are "blown away" by skyrim never played previous games. that or they are 12 year olds (which kinda puts them in the first group =P)

Having played most of the series I still found myself excited by the game. I couldn't wait to play more and it consumed me for a long time. My primary character has about 200+ hours of play time an I'm around level 71 (I wanted to try to max everything but it's a relatively slow process :P ). I'm patiently waiting for the DLC, Bethesda has said they are going to 'try and do it right', whatever that means. It should be interesting at least.

Yeah it is exciting. A lot (i mean youre fighting dragons =P). The main quest was alright. But the Thieves Guild, Companion, and Mage College quests were too short and too unfulfilling (I am not even going to talk about the Bard's College). The Dark Brotherhood had a really interesting run of missions towards the end of its quest, and after the conclusion, it made an effort to stay relevant...but there still weren't enough quests even there to feel like your character was truly growing (as in Morrowind) or building relationships with the other characters. Overall, there was just a lack of story, a lack of missions, a lack of culture, and a lack of feeling unique that made it not be on the same level as its predecessors, imo. It's still a super fun game that I killed about two months on, and it's vastly improved graphics and gameplay, but I feel like that's come at the expense of attention to the little details which ultimately make it a TESsy experience

Yeah it is exciting. A lot (i mean youre fighting dragons =P). The main quest was alright. But the Thieves Guild, Companion, and Mage College quests were too short and too unfulfilling (I am not even going to talk about the Bard's College). The Dark Brotherhood had a really interesting run of missions towards the end of its quest, and after the conclusion, it made an effort to stay relevant...but there still weren't enough quests even there to feel like your character was truly growing (as in Morrowind) or building relationships with the other characters. Overall, there was just a lack of story, a lack of missions, a lack of culture, and a lack of feeling unique that made it not be on the same level as its predecessors, imo. It's still a super fun game that I killed about two months on, and it's vastly improved graphics and gameplay, but I feel like that's come at the expense of attention to the little details which ultimately make it a TESsy experience

I partially agree. Yet, for some reason I am always drawn back to the game if I cease playing for a long enough period.

One of the main things I am doing is customizing my level 27 Khajiit in archery, one-handed weapons, and heavy armor.

Here's what I have so far

Elven Bow Of Animus ~ 48 damage, 10 sec soul gem

Virtuous Elven Bow ~ 48 damage, level 30 undead flee for 30 secs

Orcish Sword Of Soul Snares ~ 18 damage, 5 sec soul gem

Orcish War Axe Of Binding ~ 20 damage, 7 sec soul gem

Dwarven Bracers Of Major Archery ~ 27 armor, 25% more damage

Steel Plate Armor Of Eminent Knight ~ 82 armor, 20 points heavy armor

Steel Plate Boots Of Eminent Stamina ~ 29 armor, 50 points stamina

Steel Plate Helmet Of Eminent Magicka ~ 38 armor, 50 points magicka

The Gaulder Amulet ~ 30 health, magicka, stamina

Ring of Major Archery ~ 25% more damage

I've put about 70 hours into this game so far, it is good but it just isn't Oblivion good. The guild side quests are too short, where in Oblivion they lasted a good while and never felt repetitive. Also does anyone have any info on any DLC for Skyrim. I heard it might be Morrowind but I don't know how true this is because I heard it from a friend of mine who has a history of making stuff up. Cheers.

Having played most of the series I still found myself excited by the game. I couldn't wait to play more and it consumed me for a long time. My primary character has about 200+ hours of play time an I'm around level 71 (I wanted to try to max everything but it's a relatively slow process :P ). I'm patiently waiting for the DLC, Bethesda has said they are going to 'try and do it right', whatever that means. It should be interesting at least.

Hopefully it means that the DLC doesn't corrupt existing save files!

I don't have much play in on Skyrim but I have really enjoyed it thus far. I've been kind of waiting for the DLC first, just in case. For the moment I'm wrapped up in WOW anyway trying to help get a new guild leveled up :D

Speaking of TES there just might be a way to have both the graphics *and* substance :D ...

Speaking of TES there just might be a way to have both the graphics *and* substance :D ...

Looks really good. I may just have to dig out Morrowind and reinstall it. :tu:

• 2 weeks later...

I'm liking it a lot, I played Oblivion for the first time about a month before Skyrim came out but didn't really get into it. Over the Christmas holidays i played Skyrim flat out and loved it.

Just recently started playing it again, Loving how there is still heaps to do and i'm no where near finishing it, Mainly been doing side quests and adventuring.

Anyone noticed any glitches? I had one that prevented me from finishing the companion quests but nothing too major, Have heard some people cannot finish the game because of some.

• 2 weeks later...

Hello Guys!! I am new here on UM!!

I Want to make Friends who enjoys computer games just like me...

Playing this game is Adventurous.....

Being a Khajiit is slightly cool...hahaha :tu:

I'm liking it a lot, I played Oblivion for the first time about a month before Skyrim came out but didn't really get into it. Over the Christmas holidays i played Skyrim flat out and loved it.

Just recently started playing it again, Loving how there is still heaps to do and i'm no where near finishing it, Mainly been doing side quests and adventuring.

Anyone noticed any glitches? I had one that prevented me from finishing the companion quests but nothing too major, Have heard some people cannot finish the game because of some.

Even with the patches there seems to be plenty of glitches/crashes left although I think most of the game-breakers have been addressed. It's always a good idea to keep several saves (like 4-5 or more) and save sequentially so you have a decent gameplay history to restore from if there is a problem. :tu:

lo thats not a bad one, im currently a Lycanthrope (were wolf in game), We wolfs dont go diggen them bats ^^

This was the first quest line I ever did I put 12 hours into the game and only ended up getting FUS after beasting out on the dragon...Like a BAWS!!! lol jk but seriously it was awesome, and kind of too easy to become a werewolf. But alas my girlfriend left me because "I got a job" (<---- Yeah this is a logical excuse to leave someone p-shaw) and she took my 360 I am so sad about it I am going out tomorrow to buy the Starwars 360 I've always wanted an R2D2 and now I will have one! Back to skyrim and Fallout: New Vegas!

Even with the patches there seems to be plenty of glitches/crashes left although I think most of the game-breakers have been addressed. It's always a good idea to keep several saves (like 4-5 or more) and save sequentially so you have a decent gameplay history to restore from if there is a problem. :tu:

Yeah I learned the hard way during Fallout 3 to have a few game saves. I heard there is a DLC coming out soon with crossbows, spears and more races like Snow-Elves.

http://www.ripten.co...lves-crossbows/

Edited by DKO

Hello Guys!! I am new here on UM!!

I Want to make Friends who enjoys computer games just like me...

Playing this game is Adventurous.....

Being a Khajiit is slightly cool...hahaha :tu:

Hey zack, welcome to UM, khakiit are awesome

• 1 year later...

I repurchased a preowned copy of Skyrim since its name was dropped in another more recent thread. Anyways I am building a wood elf hybrid of thief, mage, and warrior focussing primarily on enchantments, archery, and sneaking. I wished I would have chosen a Breton though because they are 50% more immune to magic than any other race. I mean, this new character could have been one bad dude. Well, maybe next time.

Enchantments is one of my favorite features of the game now.

I have discovered some awesome cheats in the game, players can access merchant inventories in Dawnstar, Solitude, Riften, and Whiterun.

And players can also get a free home in Whiterun, the key is to buy the home from Proventus Avennici in his quarters before 6:00 am. 1. Summon him out of bed 2. Tell him you want to buy a home in Whiterun and buy it and quickly during the transaction push "B" or red button (I have an Xbox 360) and open the bedside wardrobe and place your gold in there 4. Proventus gives you the key to Breezehome for free 5. Retrieve your gold from the bedside wardrobe

There are videos on youtube on how to open these easter eggs / hidden merchant chests. Of the four, I had a real easy time with Dawnstar (it lies between two large stones near the mine near the town) and Solitude (its in the patch of yellow flowers at the feet of the cat merchants). But here's the catch, it has to be while the cat merchants are present in these two locales and in order to gain new stock, you have to run 48 hours on your time advance thingymagiggy. That resets the stock in the treasure chests. And these treasure chests will only appear while the player is in sneak mode. And when players take items out of the hidden merchant chests, they are sellable goods and aren't "stolen".

The other two in Riften (which I haven't tried yet) and Whiterun isn't done while in sneak mode and are abit more complicated. But there are tutorial videos posted up on youtube to help.

Anyways I just learned this last night and at the moment banking with a level 23 with $20,000 and a free Whiterun home.

Edited by GoSC

I play Skyrim (alot!) on the PC and love the mods that are out there... My current favorite is a ring that has a permanent "candlelight" spell on it... Put the ring on - you have light... Since I use a bow

as my primary weapon I need to leave both hands free and constantly casting candlelight is a great nuisance...

Also with a PC you can download a lot of new adventures...

Got it 2 weeks ago and Im a Nord and level 11, Got the legendary edition and it's the first time i have played Elder scrolls and i was very impressed. In Dawnguard the death hounds are tough to kill, you need a crossbow to dispatch thm

• Like 1

ehehe Skyrim :)

I did play it and finished alot of game, over 70%. Then i realized that there is skyrim nexus, mod database where u can find mods which improve game in many ways - graphics with new hd textures and fx, npc voices, clothes ( u can make them ladies naked if u like, oh did i really said that - sry this pervert subconscious of mine :D )

Install mods and enjoy that wonderful game even more.

• Like 1

oh, mods! i couldn't play skyrim without them, the base game is just missing so much without them.

be careful not to have too many, though. the game is less fun if it just completely bugs out.

• Like 2

I play Skyrim (alot!) on the PC and love the mods that are out there... My current favorite is a ring that has a permanent "candlelight" spell on it... Put the ring on - you have light... Since I use a bow

as my primary weapon I need to leave both hands free and constantly casting candlelight is a great nuisance...

Also with a PC you can download a lot of new adventures...

And can one get these mods for the 360?

Back to the game, my favorite skills set is Archery, Enchantment, and Smithing.

Making my own weapons (and armor) and giving them enchantments is a blast.

I used to think Conjuration was the most awesome skill set alone, but it actually takes alot the fun and challenge out of the game when all one has to do is constantly summon Astronachs to fight their every battle while they themselves fire arrows or elemental blasts at the foes.

Oh, and if one chooses not to complete the Daedra's Best Friend, Barbas the talking Dog becomes a second companion alongside your follower. And Barbas is basically an invincible tank especially when battling the Draugrs in the catacombs. He basically collects them all around himself and I just play assistance. Think invincible Astronach with no life bar. Barbas god modes everyone and everything. I reiterate he will stick by your side as long as one refuses to complete his missions. BUT he is also very annoying because he constantly gets in the way and will basically smother you if you stop moving.

Edited by GoSC
  • Like 1

I don't think the mods can be used on the 360... They are downloaded from Skyrim Nexus (as Sir Smoke alot said) or from Steam... Probably a few other places as well... There are

literally hundreds of thousands of mods and they can bog your game down - plus can take some of the fun out of it if you get too powerful, too quickly... And of course some are just

silly...

Currently my main mods are:

The candlelight ring

turning the large moon into Jupiter (looks really cool and doesn't really affect the game)

turning the smaller moon into the Star Wars Death Star (fully built version - and also does not affect game play)

A few changes to the home in White Run (bigger, better layout)

A large pool area and defensive wall for the Heathfire home of Lakeview Manor

Placing a fortified settlement around the other two hearthfire manors

The Volskar (Sp?) addition - a player created land with quite a few adventures on it - really well done but I don't care for the voices he used...

and a few odds and ends adventures and buildings (a small candy store just outside of Whiterun is an example)...

Edited by Taun
  • Like 1

I don't think the mods can be used on the 360... They are downloaded from Skyrim Nexus (as Sir Smoke alot said) or from Steam... Probably a few other places as well... There are

literally hundreds of thousands of mods and they can bog your game down - plus can take some of the fun out of it if you get too powerful, too quickly... And of course some are just

silly...

Currently my main mods are:

The candlelight ring

turning the large moon into Jupiter (looks really cool and doesn't really affect the game)

turning the smaller moon into the Star Wars Death Star (fully built version - and also does not affect game play)

A few changes to the home in White Run (bigger, better layout)

A large pool area and defensive wall for the Heathfire home of Lakeview Manor

Placing a fortified settlement around the other two hearthfire manors

The Volskar (Sp?) addition - a player created land with quite a few adventures on it - really well done but I don't care for the voices he used...

and a few odds and ends adventures and buildings (a small candy store just outside of Whiterun is an example)...

That's pretty awesome. :yes:

I will just make a new characters such as a Nord (better suited against frost) or Breton (better suited against magick).

A question for my fellow console gamers, is the Legendary Edtion of Skyrim any huge improvement over the standard edition?