Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Black Orb/Spider Entity

entropath

This is somewhat long-winded, but if "black orbs" or "spider entity" rings a bell for you, please read...

Yesterday, my cousin contacted me on facebook telling me he had "something very strange" that he wanted to discuss with me. I messaged him back and he described to me an experience he and his girlfriend have been having with a "spider entity" that clings to the ceiling and wants to take over his girlfriend's body.

My cousin told me his girlfriend is seeing this black "spider entity" which clings to the ceiling and has a face which she can't make out. He said only she can see it, and only when she "blacks out" (I'm not sure what he meant by this), but has no memory of it the next morning. He also said it only goes away when he recites the lords prayer (bare with me).

I really couldn't believe he was telling me this, because in 2006-2007, I saw something very very similar. There were a few nights when I would wake up from a light sleep and see a dark black orb with long, spindly legs hovering near the ceiling on the other side of the room. There was a strange fractal effect to the orb, it seemed to have an almost magnetic-type resonance and the "core" or interior of the orb seemed to spin, or undulate, in a very peculiar manner. The "legs" all went one way and also seemed to have a magnetic-looking effect. The orb was black, not opaque, and I remember staring at it for some time in amazement and confusion. I only ever saw this orb upon waking up, but I know I was lucid and was not dreaming. I still wrote it off as being a hallucination not having any other explanation. But, I saw it again a few times, one time at a friends house as well hovering directly above me (I was sleeping on the floor).

I drew this in Paint yesterday as a rough (very rough) estimation of what I saw:

http://postimage.org/image/49u4mgfvf/

So, when my cousin told me his girlfriend was seeing a "spider entity", bells immediately went off in my head. I don't remember ever describing what I saw as a "spider entity", but I can totally understand how somebody could interpret this as looking like a spider. Indeed, it did look like some sort of evil, demonic spider entity. What separated it from being a typical orb was the long, thin spindly legs that almost resembled hairs moving in uniform.

I never saw anything so strange in my life (not counting a couple UFO experiences), and haven't had any other ghostly paranormal experiences where I SAW something. I have experienced sleep paralysis many times, the kind of sleep paralysis where it feels as though I'm being attacked by an evil entity. I talked to my parents about this experience a few times long before my cousin had this experience, and my mother is convinced it is a negative/harmful familiar / familial spirit whereas my father believes it could be demonic or an evil spirit. By the looks of the thing, it is hard for me to imagine that it is GOOD, but each time I saw it I was never scared and I never felt an evil presence. I often get "vibes" or gut feelings from people, places, and things and consider myself spiritually aware, so I'm not really sure what to think about this.

My question is, has anybody else dealt with anything like this before? I tried googling but came up with mixed results. I want to comfort my cousin and give him some useful advice on how to deal with the situation, and I also would like to have some insight into this for my own sake since I've also seen this anomaly. I haven't seen this thing since 2007. As a side note, 2006-2007 was definitely one of the most emotionally trying times of my life. I was extremely depressed, dealing with many issues in every aspect of my life. My cousin recently lost his job and he and his girlfriend are having a lot of difficulties financially and in their relationship.

The only thing I've told my cousin so far is that "things like this are a bad omen."

any input would be greatly appreciated.

• Like 2

When this is experienced, does it follow or precede a headache or dizziness? A feeling of unreality?

When this is experienced, does it follow or precede a headache or dizziness? A feeling of unreality?

I think I know what you're getting at, that this may be a seizure aura. There was nothing out of the ordinary when I saw the orb and I don't have a history of seizures or hallucinations, or any other type of brain disorder

Yes, you got that it would have been my first guess, especially with he passing out part of the female.

A followup question would be: Can the "entity" be focused on, or does it move from the center of the glance?

Someone did a topic on an Orb that looked like a black Koosh ball a while back. I have seen this too,but i have also seen the Orb in many different colors at different times.

I believe it is my guardian angel because it seems to watch over me while i am sleeping.I see it when i wake up and am fully awake.I have never been afraid of it or felt that it was wanting anything from me.It just seems to be watching over me. :rolleyes:

I'm not a doctor, nor am I a believer in spirits, guardian angels, shamanism or spider-demons. I will say that a few ocular distortions do match to a degree. I'll leave the rest up to you.

http://forums.randi.org/showthread.php?t=160784

Inside eye OD aaiem (2007)

http://www.migraine-aura.org/content/e27891/e27265/e26585/e49268/e49333/index_en.html

http://psychedelic-information-theory.com/Entoptic-Hallucination

I do hope the answers can be found for you and I suggest a medical checkup, focusing on eyes and blood pressure be done to anyone seeing these "things"... at worst, a problem can be spotted before it is most harmful. At best.. there will be no health related issues.

If there are none and a doctor would eliminate all major causes... then perhaps seek out the unexplained. Just a suggestion.

I hope all is well with you and the friends with this... happening.

• Like 1

Yes, you got that it would have been my first guess, especially with he passing out part of the female.

A followup question would be: Can the "entity" be focused on, or does it move from the center of the glance?

I will ask my cousin exactly what he meant by "black out"... I was assuming he meant that she experiences this and just doesn't remember it the next day and that's what he meant by "black out" (amnesia). I know they do party and drink, but I never knew them to drink until they blacked out.

When I saw it myself, I remember clearly focusing on it and wondering "wtf am I looking at?" I'm familiar with phosphenes and other tricks of the eye, it definitely was not my eyes playing tricks on me. If it was a hallucination, it was unlike anything I've ever experienced (having done psychedelics more than a few times). It seemed entirely "real" and there was nothing I could pin it down to aside from dismissing it as a generic hallucination perhaps as a subconscious defense mechanism. I've never experienced a hallucination that was so clear and seemingly separate from the surroundings. The orb did not blend in with the wall and didn't seem part of the wall or ceiling. It seemed to be its own entity and had depth. It was 3 dimensional in the sense that I could make out the distance between me and it; the distance was not ambiguous or unclear. It was clearly hovering above my bedroom door very near the ceiling which was about ~20 feet from my bed. At my friends house it was about 5 or 6 feet above my feet.

I've went through all possible logical explanations, medical and otherwise, and have yet to adequately explain it. Again, the only conclusion that I've been able to come to is that "it was a hallucination", which is pretty vague and leaves a lot to be explained.

• Like 2

I have to agree with red Squirrel. I have experience of someone at work who sees large black spiders or dark floating disks as a visual indicator to an oncoming epileptic seizure. Most of the time this is associated with absenteeism rather than a classic "fit" and does sound rather like the description given of your cousins girlfriend. Again that individual is unlikely to remember the 20-30 minutes previous to the seizure.

As Red says get checked up, I'd add keeping a diary of events helps both medically and paranornally.

Edited by Pastymancer
  • Like 1

I'm not a doctor, nor am I a believer in spirits, guardian angels, shamanism or spider-demons. I will say that a few ocular distortions do match to a degree. I'll leave the rest up to you.

http://www.migraine-aura.org/content/e27891/e27265/e26585/e49268/e49333/index_en.html

I do hope the answers can be found for you and I suggest a medical checkup, focusing on eyes and blood pressure be done to anyone seeing these "things"... at worst, a problem can be spotted before it is most harmful. At best.. there will be no health related issues.

If there are none and a doctor would eliminate all major causes... then perhaps seek out the unexplained. Just a suggestion.

This is good advice.... And I do beleive in "things". Although I often have a unique perspective. Regardless of what an entity is, there most likely is an altered state attached to it's experience. Your cousins circumstance does sound a bit like narcolepsy.... A type of seizure. Spiders and black masses are very common in hypnogogia, an altered state that narcaleptics often find themselves in spontaneously.

That dosnt mean something is not there ( but it might). Hallucinations may not be hallucinations, but it's a start to unravel the problem. These entities can be personal entities that do not have an empirical existence... That does not mean that they are non existence.., but more of mental constructs. Once she understands why she is seeing it, then she can go about what she is seeing and how to take control of the situation.

A lot of good information here, thanks.

I'll pass it along to my cousin, he's pretty freaked out by the whole situation. I can't be exactly sure what his girlfriend is seeing, so I'll make sure she has a look at these links you gave me so maybe she can rule out that what's going on is paranormal.

I read all of the pages you sent me and I'm still not totally sure it explains what I saw but it's something to consider. I'm not too worried about it, if anything I'm just very curious if what I saw was actually paranormal.

Thank you for understanding. Even if I do not believe in something... does not make it not real.

I am more concerned with eliminating the explainable, and looking out for my fellow human..

Being human is great, I enjoy hanging out with humans, looking at the sights with humans and INSERT ITEM 3 with humans.

This is good advice.... And I do beleive in "things". Although I often have a unique perspective. Regardless of what an entity is, there most likely is an altered state attached to it's experience. Your cousins circumstance does sound a bit like narcolepsy.... A type of seizure. Spiders and black masses are very common in hypnogogia, an altered state that narcaleptics often find themselves in spontaneously.

That dosnt mean something is not there ( but it might). Hallucinations may not be hallucinations, but it's a start to unravel the problem. These entities can be personal entities that do not have an empirical existence... That does not mean that they are non existence.., but more of mental constructs. Once she understands why she is seeing it, then she can go about what she is seeing and how to take control of the situation.

I'm not sure if I'm thinking exactly the same way you do, but I was thinking along these lines, regarding your belief some entities are mental constructs rather than conscious beings. After doing some research into demonology, it dawned on me that demons aren't, as you said, empirical entities but rather negative/destructive/harmful psychological archetypes that can consume a person's life. I believe there are various "demons" that can possess a person; for example, the seven deadly sins, addiction, perversion, sadism, etc. Most people are probably affected to some degree by at least some of these "demons" but a minority of people truly become "possessed" in the way that their life ends up revolving around one or more of these harmful and destructive (but perhaps conversely pleasurable and selfish) psychological phenomena. I say "phenomena" because there are so many different things that could cause a person to become possessed in this way that it's easier to just generalize this wide range of negative psychological features as phenomena rather than writing a long winded extrapolation of each one. A person who is possessed in this way could be suffering from one or more mental illnesses and may exhibit some or all the signs of classical "demonic possession", such as talking in tongues, bodily contortions, violent outbursts, delusions, hallucinations, etc. But for the most part I think people suffering from some of the more "mild" demons are otherwise normal people. For example, a young adult who is addicted to a chemical substance, or the guy at church who is secretly a pervert, or the adolescent in town who enjoys torturing and murdering animals (this one pushes the boundaries of being "mild"). I see a lot of people every day who are battling demons, in my family and otherwise.

But anyway, that's kind of off the subject but I thought I'd share.

Thanks for the input

• Like 2

I don't know her to be narcoleptic but maybe she does have an undiagnosed form of epilepsy.

I'll make the suggestion that she should go to the doctor and see if he recommends that she see a neurologist or psychiatrist.

The only way they know how to take control of the situation now is to recite the lords prayer, which leads me to believe it's either fully psychological or fully paranormal. Unless reciting the lords prayer would cure aura symptoms or bring a person out of a hypnagogic state :P

I see all kinds of visual hallucinations before a migraine and they are usually stress or hormonally related. I'd go to the doctor, pcp and vision before I'd consider it paranormal.

I'm not sure if I'm thinking exactly the same way you do, but I was thinking along these lines, regarding your belief some entities are mental constructs rather than conscious beings. After doing some research into demonology, it dawned on me that demons aren't, as you said, empirical entities but rather negative/destructive/harmful psychological archetypes that can consume a person's life. I believe there are various "demons" that can possess a person; for example, the seven deadly sins, addiction, perversion, sadism, etc. Most people are probably affected to some degree by at least some of these "demons" but a minority of people truly become "possessed" in the way that their life ends up revolving around one or more of these harmful and destructive (but perhaps conversely pleasurable and selfish) psychological phenomena. I say "phenomena" because there are so many different things that could cause a person to become possessed in this way that it's easier to just generalize this wide range of negative psychological features as phenomena rather than writing a long winded extrapolation of each one. A person who is possessed in this way could be suffering from one or more mental illnesses and may exhibit some or all the signs of classical "demonic possession", such as talking in tongues, bodily contortions, violent outbursts, delusions, hallucinations, etc. But for the most part I think people suffering from some of the more "mild" demons are otherwise normal people. For example, a young adult who is addicted to a chemical substance, or the guy at church who is secretly a pervert, or the adolescent in town who enjoys torturing and murdering animals (this one pushes the boundaries of being "mild"). I see a lot of people every day who are battling demons, in my family and otherwise.

But anyway, that's kind of off the subject but I thought I'd share.

Thanks for the input

That's a wonderful analysis. There are indeed a great number of "demons" inside of us. All of us.

• Like 1

I don't know her to be narcoleptic but maybe she does have an undiagnosed form of epilepsy.

I'll make the suggestion that she should go to the doctor and see if he recommends that she see a neurologist or psychiatrist.

The only way they know how to take control of the situation now is to recite the lords prayer, which leads me to believe it's either fully psychological or fully paranormal. Unless reciting the lords prayer would cure aura symptoms or bring a person out of a hypnagogic state :P

Actually it often does!!!!!!! You see what your seeing and how you are seeing it are often two different things. How you are seeing it is hypnogogia ( sleep pralysis), sizophrenia, drugs..... Whatever. Why you are seeing your particular image is entirely a different matter. Many people use the lords prayer to face sleep pralysis imagery. It works sometimes other times it dosnt. The problem of course is that the entire action is a fear based response... This is no good. They are only training themselves to be fearful then delivered. Inevitably inviting it's return. If your cousin came to see me, I would work on inducing an altered state so she could face this thing head on. Spiders don't come back after you step on them. :)

• Like 1

I see spiders out the corner of my eyes when I'm tired. Perhaps it's that or simple eye floaters which are very common. Also, the human mind tends to construct recognisable images out of vague shapes and objects: that's why clouds have been mistaken for UFOs and people see faces in grains of wood, etc.

Perhaps reciting the Lord's prayers makes her focur her attention and pulls her out of a sleep-like state?

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I too have seen this spider entity for a few years now. It looks like the one you drew. I see this entity or phenomena usually upon awakening from an intense dream or nightmare. It has a face that is elusive to me, the more I try to look art it directly the more it becomes obscure. When I just relax and accept it's presence it becomes clear. It sometimes frightens me but I seem to be getting use to it's presence. The other night I had a dream that my room was full of dark entities with horns and white eyes. My wife woke me up saying that I was angrily shouting "**** you" in the direction of the bedroom door. I remember it vividly but didn't tell her what I had experienced. The spider orb has manic, rapidly moving legs. It appears to be on the ceiling but when I close my eyes I can also see it. It also follows my gaze which indicates that it is on one of my my lens es (like bacteria or other micro organism) except I can see it in both eyes when I close them alternately which indicates to me that it exists outside of my body. Each experience brings with it a heavy feeling of fear and sometimes dread.

• Like 3

Oh thousands of times the giant spider has held onto me & spoken to me. It's a being of pure love & would not harm you if you begged it to. It is like the mantis & insect aliens, beatle aliens etc. It's just doing a particular job for the higher system & would never ever harm you. Showing itself to you is a friendly way of letting you know it is there. It's really one of your primary guardians & is responsible for helping to keep your soul in your body; & also it protects the next body that you will find yourself in after you die.

If you ever see the space spider again simply show it love & respect & you will meet one of the most wonderous beings ever created

• Like 2

This is most likely a "dark orb" spirit or energy. It goes with the following sense of being scared or frightened.

Have a look at this page. It lists coloured orbs and their meanings

http://paranormal.lovetoknow.com/Ghost_Orbs_Different_Colors

This thread is about black orbs. On this page (p5) further down is a couple of pictures that look like the orb you drew.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=65930&st=60

• Like 3

Is the OP still around?

• Like 1

Is the OP still around?

Last post was 18 months ago, so probably not.

Anyway, just to contribute to the general discussion. I commonly see spiders or bugs (swarms of them sometimes and with accompanying buzzing sounds if it's flies) on my bedroom walls or ceilings as part of the hypnagogic and hypnopompic hallucinations I experience on a regular basis. That the OP describes waking up in the middle of the night and seeing such things makes me automatically think it's similar to what myself and countless others experience during that strange period of falling asleep or waking up. Whereas most people go from sleep to wakefulness immediately (and vice versa), some of us have a very grey area in-between where strange things happen and we see and hear all sorts of oddities.

Edited by Archimedes
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Never trust anything you see just before going to sleep or just after waking up.

Too much likelyhood of hallucination or sleep disorders IMO.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I am so stoked I found this. I have been seeing what he is describing. A black orb with magnetic almost electric spider legs hovering over me! I was surprised that I'm not the only one. The drawing nailed it! It left in the name of Jesus Christ. I was heavily in to the occult for years and am now a born again Christian. No doubt this stuff is demonic. God bless

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I recall reading about a similar experience related to parasitic entities. If anyone as read the Mars Records you`ll know what I mean.