Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is this an alien skull?

sean6

Technically questions are not Ad Hominems. :geek: Since that was what was said to be "snipped" and you are saying this was a question... Well then it seems quite unclear whether an Ad Hominem existed at all.

ETA: Also just to clarify, statements that are true are never considered Ad Hominems. For extreme example saying a Neo-NAZI poster is a racist when that person posted racist material wouldn't be an Ad Hominem attack but rather a true statement. i.e. no logical fallicy is being committed.

Here it is also true that a Neo-NAZI poster may be offended or feel insulted, but that just too bad if the statement is true and the logic is sound.

I agree that questions are typically not Ad Hominems, although if someone were to pose the question 'Are you retarded?' it could be considered derogatory. That isn't the question I asked, just to be clear, but questions like that could definitely fall within the gray (or not so gray) area in which Ad Hominems exist. Could my question be interpreted as potentially Ad Hominem? An honest answer on my part would require me to say that yes it could be, but it also could be interpreted as an honest question. My intention was that it be interpreted as an honest question, but that may not matter in the grand scheme because perception seems to outweigh the trivialities of intention most of the time.

What a delicate balance this requires. I assumed that my question was worded carefully enough to avoid the potentially Ad Hominem label, but apparently I was mistaken.

I'd clarify in more detail by restating my question, but seeing as how it was already *snipped* once I don't think it would be a wise decision on my part.

And besides, I hold Lilly in the utmost regard among Mods and really didn't intend to stage any kind of uprising in response to her decision to cleanse a portion of that post. In terms of balanced administration, I couldn't point to a more admirable representation on this forum than Lilly. There are many extremely balanced Mods here by the way, and I'm not trying to elevate one above any others, I'm just expressing an admiration for Lilly at the moment because she happened to be the one who edited this post of mine. In truth I hold almost all of the Moderator staff here in extremely high regard.

Said poster continuously calls every person with an education a pervert and thief. If it is a group, not a specific person, is that an accusation or an Ad Hom?

Indeed. A delicate balance without question. Said poster most assuredly accuses the scientific community of far worse than what I asked him. Perhaps as you suggest it is the ambiguous group connotation which makes such things forgivable? I don't really know.

At any rate, I appreciate both of your thoughts on the matter. Let's just let it go shall we? It really isn't all that important anyway. We all know what we know regarding said poster. Any questions or accusations won't change or enhance that sad reality.

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• psyche101

• booNyzarC

• Lilly

• ShadowSot

Cannot make the assumption that this is a healthy skull. Possibly hydrocephalus -- medical condition in which there is an abnormal accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) with consequential swelling and deformation.

Cannot make the assumption that this is a healthy skull. Possibly hydrocephalus -- medical condition in which there is an abnormal accumulation of cerebrospinal fluid (CSF) with consequential swelling and deformation.

Rahhhhhh!

It's just head binding!

Elongated-Skull-of-Brien-Foerster-150x200.jpg

Let's just let it go shall we? It really isn't all that important anyway.

Sky's new cordial outlook must be rubbing off! :D Good call mate. :tu:

Edited by psyche101

I respectfully point out again that an Ad Hominem requires a logical fallacy.

Questions can not meet that burden. You give the example of "Are you retarded?", but of course the answer could certainly be yes!

Here the idea seems to be that "insuting" someone is always wrong. Clearly it is not, and feeling "insulted" is subjective. Thus the only true test here is logic.

Pyche101, want to point out Tut's skull was not the result of head binding, just slightly deformed.

Still proves a point that human heads come in a variety of shapes and sizes.

Star trek must have killed people's imaginations for aliens...

I would assume it's human, but, I don't know...those eye sockets are really really weird, especially for someone that's supposed to be under the age of 10 years old. The skull also doesn't look elongated compared to the other photos. It's almost perfectly oval shaped with very little imperfections.

Wouldn't all this cranial modification cause permanent brain damage? You'd think they would grow up severly handicapped, if they were even able to survive the process at all.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3

Personally, I think that some ancient civilizations did this stuff on purpose just to mess with us... :blink:

Pyche101, want to point out Tut's skull was not the result of head binding, just slightly deformed.

Still proves a point that human heads come in a variety of shapes and sizes.

Star trek must have killed people's imaginations for aliens...

Hi Shadowsot

I thought the jury was still out on that one, in that case, was the final determination plagiocephaly?

Cheers.

I would assume it's human, but, I don't know...those eye sockets are really really weird, especially for someone that's supposed to be under the age of 10 years old. The skull also doesn't look elongated compared to the other photos. It's almost perfectly oval shaped with very little imperfections.

Head binding was not an exact art as far as I know, and many cultures produced some wide ranging varieties.

Potosi_D%C3%A9cembre_2007_-_La_Moneda_2.jpg

Inca skull

Mayancranialmodification.jpg

Maya modified skull exhibited at the Museo Nacional de Antropología e Historia, México.

Head_Shaping.jpg

Skulls from the Andean Paracas culture.

How is the shape on the one, bottom left ;)

Wouldn't all this cranial modification cause permanent brain damage? You'd think they would grow up severly handicapped, if they were even able to survive the process at all.

I have always wondered the same, even started a thread some time ago asking that very question. If you ever get a good answer, let me know.

Edited by psyche101

Personally, I think that some ancient civilizations did this stuff on purpose just to mess with us... :blink:

Well, yes they did do this on purpose, but rather than to mess with us, this deformation was considered beautiful.

Hey Psyche, thanks for the reply, those are definitely some striking looking skulls, pretty crazy. The skull mentioned in the article has eye sockets almost twice the size (at least from what I can surmise) of the various skulls in the other photos. Would it be possible for cranial binding to produce eye sockets that large in a child who has undergone the process? This is the first I've seen with such...enlarged eye sockets. Definitely a unique find even if it is a binding victim.

Edited by Spid3rCyd3

Hey Psyche, thanks for the reply, those are definitely some striking looking skulls, pretty crazy. The skull mentioned in the article has eye sockets almost twice the size (at least from what I can surmise) of the various skulls in the other photos. Would it be possible for cranial binding to produce eye sockets that large and round in a child who has undergone the process? This is the first I've seen with such...enlarged eye sockets. Definitely a unique find even if it is a binding victim.

I think these fellows have rather large sockets as well?

ParacasSkullsIcaMuseum.jpg

Have they proven that the skull belongs to the body?

ok i publicly apologize for my outburst. i understand you didn't mean it like i read it but it honestly seemed to me that you were insulting everyone but i believe you when you say it was an accident. and to answer your question:although highly improbable, there could be a word made entirely of gummy bear people although i wouldn't count on it. also i realize how far-fetched my idea was too; a world that evolved with the same dna structure of us but if you factor in the possibility of alternate dimensions and wormholes between the two it becomes just as improbable as gummy bear people. anyway, i'm sorry and i will try not to take everything so personally anymore.

One thing always puzzeled me:why most people in command,may it be soldiers,policemen and other in uniform, specially in the past (not to mention what we know of egyptian pharaos and catholic popes) always wore hats in which the forefront was emphasized in order to give them the suggestion of an elongated head? This is quite visible specially in nazi military command. Any previous memoir connecting elongated foreheads to high inteligence?