Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

"The Great Escape" 4th tunnel 'George' found

Still Waters

It has lain hidden for nearly 70 years and looks, to the untrained eye, like a building site. But this insignificant tunnel opening in the soft sand of western Poland represents one of the greatest examples of British wartime heroism. And the sensational story became the Hollywood classic, The Great Escape, starring Steve McQueen.

We are standing in the notorious PoW camp Stalag Luft III, built at the height of the Third Reich, 100 miles east of Berlin. Ten thousand prisoners were kept under German guns here on a 60-acre site ringed with a double barbed-wire fence and watchtowers.

They slept in barrack huts raised off the ground so guards could spot potential tunnellers, but the Germans did not count on the audacity of British Spitfire pilot Squadron Leader Roger Bushell, played by Sir Richard Attenborough in the 1963 film. He was interned at the camp in March 1943. With him were about 2,000 other RAF officers, many of whom were seasoned escapers from other camps, with skills in tunnelling, forgery and manufacturing.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Damian Bâthory

• 27vet

• MysticStrummer

• bpl

That's marvellous! Also how strange is it that I only recently posted about my Primary Head Teacher who was at this camp as a POW and took part in the great escape!:)

http://www.unexplain...1

Edited by Star of the Sea

Wow, that is really interesting. I love the relics that they found in the tunnels!

The movie and the memory of these guy's were one of the main reason i joined the army in the 80's and i served in the 90's as a UN peacekeeper in the Balkans and Rwanda....

All the peoples i helped to save from genocide and all i did as a soldier was done in honor and rememberance to these heroes...not to destroy but to help give freedom to every human being..if i am free to write on this board today i owe it to these men, you must forever fight for your freedom as human being, this is the legacy they have left us.

Edited by Damian Bâthory

Very cool. I still need to read the book the movie was based on. I wouldn't mind a good remake either. Everything is too clean in those old movies. Still, a classic film and a great story.