Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Alarm over Southern Ocean warming

Still Waters

New research shows the Southern Ocean is storing more heat than any other ocean in the world.

The study, carried out by Tasmania's Antarctic Climate and Ecosystem centre, has found that carbon dioxide levels in the Southern Ocean will be corrosive to some shellfish by 2030 if current trends continue.

Scientists say deep moving currents around Antarctica are the reason why the Southern Ocean is warming faster than other oceans.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Doug1029

• Still Waters

• Swadwa

• .Hollow.

Time to drop some iceberg sized icecubes *wink* global warming at its finest.....maybe. if its actually the cause and REAL for example lmao

If and when are two key words for the global warming conspiracy theorists. Fear mongering and scare tactics - things MAY happen, IF and WHEN, they do.

Ahhhh global warming... that natural cycle of mother earth that the powers that be love to tax us for. Life will adapt, as it has done for millennia, sure some will succumb but others will prosper and new ones will appear.

If and when are two key words for the global warming conspiracy theorists. Fear mongering and scare tactics - things MAY happen, IF and WHEN, they do.

In case you haven't noticed:

The erratic behavior of weather world-wide over the past several years.

Temperatures have increased significantly (measurably) since 1975.

The number of storms hitting the Ozarks and Ouachitas has increased since 1975.

The recent drought in the American mid-west resulted in early slaughter of many of the local herds. That is already raising beef prices. Think of that next time you order a Big Mac.

At the end of the last Ice Age, the Southern Ocean warmed first. Warming then spread northward.

I agree that there is a lot of needless fear mongering among the amateurs - on both sides of the issue.

IF you want to know when: the Arctic Ocean will be substantially free of summer ice by the mid 2030s. That's when. That will alter thermohaline circulation and set off major climatic changes, of which we have only had a little taste so far.

WHY is that bad? Because the climate will flicker between the old and new regimes for several years before it settles into the new one. That will make predicting which crops to plant nearly impossible. The USDA has the machinery in place to deal with the problem: crop insurance for a double-cropping system. The system will be run through the Commodity Credit Corporation. It will cost a bundle, but we'll have the food we need. The rest of the world, however....

How much did it cost to set up the financial machinery for this? Less than a penney per taxpayer. It was done by permanent employees of the USDA. The marginal cost so far is zero. Now all we do is wait for the disaster to hit. The system can be up and running one year after we decide to implement it (That's how long it will take to get alternate crops into production.).

Many of the problems expected to result from climate change are being quietly solved behind the scenes while the politicians and skeptics rant, not realising that they are benefitting from the work of others.

Doug

Climate change, not global warming. Global warming is a hoax.

So the graphs showing a steady rise of mean global temperatures are fakes ??

Br Cornelius

It's going to be funny to see how many of the lemmings fall for this one. Cattle are so easily led around by the nose. This is just another attempt to extort money from the taxpayer in the name of good science.

It's going to be funny to see how many of the lemmings fall for this one. Cattle are so easily led around by the nose. This is just another attempt to extort money from the taxpayer in the name of good science.

Always politics - never science :no:

Br Cornelius

So the graphs showing a steady rise of mean global temperatures are fakes ??

Br Cornelius

do you mean the ones where they deleted tree ring data from 1940-2000? yes.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=218016&st=30&p=4131601entry4131601

do you mean the ones where they used invalid statistical techniques that produced hockey stick graphs even if you fed in random numbers? yes.

Just what do you think climate change is? I haven't noticed the global mean temp going down in the last 40 years.

Doug

The double-cropping system will cost a bundle, yes. But it won't be implemented until one year after a massive crop failure. Until that happens, it's just a plan on paper, gathering dust until needed. I'm not sure, but I think it's set up so that the farmers actually pay for it when they buy crop insurnace. Those costs are then passed on to purchasers, so there's no tax money involved.

I guess you could call that extortion - buy groceries or die. But, that's the free market for you.

Nothing says that preparing for climate change has to be expensive. I used to heat with firewood. I figured it cost about $450 for a year's heat. Natural gas is now costing me over $700 a year and my bill is about the lowest in town. Energy conservation, in fact, SAVES money.

Doug

Edited by Doug1029

do you mean the ones where they deleted tree ring data from 1940-2000? yes.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=218016&st=30&p=4131601entry4131601

do you mean the ones where they used invalid statistical techniques that produced hockey stick graphs even if you fed in random numbers? yes.

No. I mean direct observations using thermometers.

Tree ring temps are estimates based on correlations with instrumental observations. Some accuracy is always lost in the process. So why would anyone use tree rings for a period when there were instrumental observations available? You're not making sense.

Doug

But not unexpected eh?

The research is a collation of more than 40 peer-reviewed publications

So just who is he blaming for this then...wait.. Fox News must be discrediting the Science :w00t: