Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Norway killer 'not accountable for attacks'

Still Waters

Psychiatrists have found that Anders Behring Breivik was insane at the time of his attacks on downtown Oslo and Utoya Island.

The finding by the two forensic psychiatrists will help determine whether Breivik is sentenced to prison or psychiatric care. Prosecutor Svein Holden says the report shows Breivik was "psychotic" during the attack.

If that assessment is upheld by the court then Breivik cannot be sentenced to prison for the attacks.

"The conclusion is ... is that he is insane," Holden told a news conference. "He lives in his own delusional universe and his thoughts and acts are governed by this universe.

arrow3.gifRead more...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-15936276

Edited by Still Waters
Additional source link added

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Helen of Annoy

• Mr Right Wing

• Odds

• odas

Top Posters In This Topic

He spent years planning, his manifesto was pretty well written and he was clear in his goals... Maybe it just looks better if they declare him insane so people won't grasp onto what he's preaching. Better to lock him up with pudding cups then make him a living martyr.

He spent years planning, his manifesto was pretty well written and he was clear in his goals... Maybe it just looks better if they declare him insane so people won't grasp onto what he's preaching. Better to lock him up with pudding cups then make him a living martyr.

Spending years planning how to kill tons of children doesn't necessarily mean you're sane, duder.

Edited by Garbage man

Is anyone surprised?

I’m not.

Of course he’s freaking insane, what else could he be but a complete psychopath with severe delusions on top of it.

The question is: now what? Does it mean he’ll be out soon? I don’t know how it works in Norway. I hope they are not too fast in releasing patients.

(I'm thinking about few horrible errors we had over here, for example, they released a guy who "show no signs he could be dangerous" and he killed his own five year old before he killed himself.)

I’m not.

Of course he’s freaking insane, what else could he be but a complete psychopath with severe delusions on top of it.

The question is: now what? Does it mean he’ll be out soon? I don’t know how it works in Norway. I hope they are not too fast in releasing patients.

(I'm thinking about few horrible errors we had over here, for example, they released a guy who "show no signs he could be dangerous" and he killed his own five year old before he killed himself.)

I don't know how it works in Norway either, but i assume he'll be held in a mental hospital untill they feel he is no longer a threat to society or himself.

Given the nature of his crimes, the ages and number of those he killed, as well as the world wide publicity of it all, i doubt they will release him any time in the near future. Perhaps never.

He will be out in less then ten years.

I was right when I predicted they will declare him insane and I will be right with the years spent in a mental institution.

Again, I don’t know how it works in Norway, but over here a lot of people would be waiting for him to get out.

(I’m not advocating lynch mobs, I just state the facts.

By killing the killer you can’t bring victims back, but you are making sure he won’t kill again, only that makes you a killer too so someone should kill you too to make sure etc.etc.)

My turn for prediction: this thread will turn into death penalty debate, regardless of the fact Noway doesn't have it.

Well, always the same story, a right winger causes a massacre and he is bananas, somebody else does the same and he is a monster....

He will be out in less then ten years.

I was right when I predicted they will declare him insane and I will be right with the years spent in a mental institution.

He killed 77 people if i'm not mistaken, i highly doubt he'll be out in ten years.

He won't get out - even f he is criminally insane, he has proven beyond a doubt his capacity to manage that insanity and function socially while plotting over a long period of time to commit atrocious acts. There isn't a psychiatrist worth his salt that would believe he could confirm this man is ever "no longer a threat to society" .

The Judge hasnt accepted the insanity plea yet but I suspect you are right.

It ends the trial and stops him telling everybody why he did it.

He won't get out - even f he is criminally insane, he has proven beyond a doubt his capacity to manage that insanity and function socially while plotting over a long period of time to commit atrocious acts. There isn't a psychiatrist worth his salt that would believe he could confirm this man is ever "no longer a threat to society" .

The maximum sentence for murder in Norway is 20 years. The insanity may be the state making a move to keep him detained for life.

He killed 77 people if i'm not mistaken, i highly doubt he'll be out in ten years.

See post made by questionmark and you will not doubt anymore.

How this will be handled was clear as a clear irish spring.

But he is insane.

I don’t care what political or practical reasons are or are not behind making it official, he simply and obviously is insane.

Sane people don’t become mass murderers, not even in situations that could make their actions look self-defensive to some.

And even if there is actual war or self-defence, no one sane is happy after killing someone. You have to be thoroughly insane to gloat after mass murder.

(Yes, that means I do think people from my part of the world who are guilty of genocide are insane too. Why is insanity a reason to treat criminals better is beyond me, being found insane should mean you're out the society forever. Preferably dead. Just had to clear that, no intention to derail the thread.)

See post made by questionmark and you will not doubt anymore.

How this will be handled was clear as a clear irish spring.

No, its Norway. Crazy as it seems the maximum sentence possible for anything there is 20 years believe it or not.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

But he is insane.

I don’t care what political or practical reasons are or are not behind making it official, he simply and obviously is insane.

Sane people don’t become mass murderers, not even in situations that could make their actions look self-defensive to some.

And even if there is actual war or self-defence, no one sane is happy after killing someone. You have to be thoroughly insane to gloat after mass murder.

(Yes, that means I do think people from my part of the world who are guilty of genocide are insane too. Why is insanity a reason to treat criminals better is beyond me, being found insane should mean you're out the society forever. Preferably dead. Just had to clear that, no intention to derail the thread.)

Firslty we meed to seperate right wing politics from this guys actions because not even the far right variety turns someone into a terrorist no matter how much the the far left want people to believe it.

This guy has gone a little funny in the head and his Dr Strangelove moment is just like the air force general deciding to nuke the Russians. Only difference is this time its real life and he's killed loads of his own people.

Norway doesnt have a death penalty and the maximum jail sentence for any crime there is 20 years. It isnt like England they cant detain him at her magisties pleasure forever and the only way to keep him located up is if he's insane. As he planned the attack he has shown rational thought and therefore isnt insane although he sure isnt normal in the head.

The best we can hope for is someone gets him in prison before his 20 years is up.

Firslty we meed to seperate right wing politics from this guys actions because not even the far right variety turns someone into a terrorist no matter how much the the far left want people to believe it.

This guy has gone a little funny in the head and his Dr Strangelove moment is just like the air force general deciding to nuke the Russians. Only difference is this time its real life and he's killed loads of his own people.

Norway doesnt have a death penalty and the maximum jail sentence for any crime there is 20 years. It isnt like England they cant detain him at her magisties pleasure forever and the only way to keep him located up is if he's insane. As he planned the attack he has shown rational thought and therefore isnt insane although he sure isnt normal in the head.

The best we can hope for is someone gets him in prison before his 20 years is up.

Rational thought.

Reminds me of a schizophrenic that was convinced her physician is poisoning her, so she very rationally stalked the doctor, planned her actions and stabbed him.

People with mental disorders doesn’t have to talk gibberish, walk funny or be unable to function. Sometimes it’s just the idea of wrong that is wrong in their heads. Look at Stalin, mad as a hatter, psychopath with no match, and not only he led a huge country, he also won a war (not his accomplishment but counts as his) and very rationally got rid of anyone that could threaten him.

Right or left (they meet in the extreme anyway), up or down, Breivik is mad.

Rational thought.

Reminds me of a schizophrenic that was convinced her physician is poisoning her, so she very rationally stalked the doctor, planned her actions and stabbed him.

People with mental disorders doesn’t have to talk gibberish, walk funny or be unable to function. Sometimes it’s just the idea of wrong that is wrong in their heads. Look at Stalin, mad as a hatter, psychopath with no match, and not only he led a huge country, he also won a war (not his accomplishment but counts as his) and very rationally got rid of anyone that could threaten him.

Right or left (they meet in the extreme anyway), up or down, Breivik is mad.

Politically motivated terrorists arent mentally ill they are followers of a different ideology at odds with yours. A different ideology is not mental illness, hate is not a mental illness and deciding to massacre people isnt a mental illness.

He knew what he wanted to do, he planned it out, he went through with it knowing what the consequences would be. He isnt mentally ill he's sane and a mass terrorist.

Politically motivated terrorists arent mentally ill they are followers of a different ideology at odds with yours. A different ideology is not mental illness, hate is not a mental illness and deciding to massacre people isnt a mental illness.

He knew what he wanted to do, he planned it out, he went through with it knowing what the consequences would be. He isnt mentally ill he's sane and a mass terrorist.

He is a diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic, and was not on any medication at the time. He is quite clearly mentally ill.

I have no argument that could prove you’re wrong, I simply believe people capable to kill for politics (and similar petty reasons) are not sane.

It’s just my personal opinion.

It’s also my personal opinion that most of known ideologies are plain insane, products of psychopathic minds with psycho crowds of followers. May the hand of god aim that next asteroid better. Kidding. I don’t believe in psycho gods. Eek, major off topic. It's time for me to say good night.

But he is insane.

Sure they do. Many revolutionaries throughout history have done the same thing. Also in history, they don't always succeed in their actions.

How many atrocities throughout history have been committed only to be rewritten in more favorable language or erased by the victors?

Some people need to do action based on what they believe rather then take a different path.

Why he's not insane and should be criminally charged imo.

You can only be sentenced to 21 years at a time, but can get lifetime through preventative detention: http://www.kriminalomsorgen.no/index.php?id=433056

Breivik thought he was a member of the Knights Templar, and demanded to be put in charge of the Norwegian army. When two Norwegian Rights-psychiatrists diagnose him with Paranoid Schizophrenia after a throughout evaluation, I've little reason to believe that this is some conspiracy by the courts or government to illegitimize him. Then again, this is UM, so I guess conspiracy theories do belong here.

Edited by Garbage man

Sure they do. Many revolutionaries throughout history have done the same thing. Also in history, they don't always succeed in their actions.

Again, just my personal opinion, but all the revolutionaries were also damn egomaniacs, people ridden with messiah complexes and mostly psychopaths.

Sane people stop to think about the consequences and usually give up, because they realize someone is going to get screwed and they can’t bear that on their conscience. Revolutionaries have no such problems, they believe their ideas are worth dying for, especially if someone else is doing the dying.

How many atrocities throughout history have been committed only to be rewritten in more favorable language or erased by the victors?

Countless.

(It’s very amusing - if you’re morbid enough - to watch screaming fights between two main schools of revisionists in my country. I think all our ancestors are spinning in their graves like helicopter rotors but to their selfish descendants it doesn’t mean much, as long as they hold copyright on truth.)

Some people need to do action based on what they believe rather then take a different path.

Why he's not insane and should be criminally charged imo.

Action, yes. But actions can be constructive, why every ambitious b****** automatically thinks of murdering people as first and often only step to better future?

Screw that kind of visionary or revolutionary, any moron can destroy, be the man and build something. Yes, that’s hard, I know, also it doesn’t put your face on front pages, that’s why no one wants that job.

I'm losing precious hours of my beauty sleep here, it's your fault I'll be cranky and ugly tomorrow. It could have been prevented if someone had accidentally hit Breivik's head three or four times against the wall and tossed him out the window after it was evident he acted alone. I can't believe what I just wrote. Some actions are so ugly they beg for ugly reactions, that's all I can say in my defence.

You can only be sentenced to 21 years at a time, but can get lifetime through preventative detention: http://www.kriminalomsorgen.no/index.php?id=433056

Breivik thought he was a member of the Knights Templar, and demanded to be put in charge of the Norwegian army. When two Norwegian Rights-psychiatrists diagnose him with Paranoid Schizophrenia after a throughout evaluation, I've little reason to believe that this is some conspiracy by the courts or government to illegitimize him. Then again, this is UM, so I guess conspiracy theories do belong here.

He was a freemason and the photos have been all over UK papers of him in his apron so thinking he is a Knights Templar is hardly a sign of insanity.