Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Plasma could cure the common cold

Still Waters

Inhaling streams of electrically charged gas could provide a cure for the common cold, research has shown.

Scientists have discovered that a stream of matter known as cold plasma can deactivate viruses similar to those that cause the common cold.

When exposed the plasma – a stream of ionised gas – for just a couple of minutes, the viruses were no longer able to replicate, meaning they could not spread or cause disease.

It has led to hopes that cold plasma devices could be used as hand sanitisers in hospitals and even provide a new way of treating the common cold and other respiratory viruses such as flu.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Still Waters

• FlyingAngel

• RedSquirrel

• catfishyeah

Very interesting read, as someone who hates being ill, I hope this goes somewhere. I wonder if there are direct dangers to the reduction of beneficial bacteria and cells though?

Time to go and huff my TV, gotta stay healthy during the cold season.

Sound good but what I'm interested more is how plasma could identify a cell as "virus" or not. What if it also deactivate s our inner defense system? Note that pills you took everyday to counter illness are also (good) viruses.

Are we really deactivating it? or are we making it latent and it could pop up unexpecting?