Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

SETI to check Kepler-22b for aliens

mcrom901

Finally Shostak grows a brain.

The problem though is that Shostak is still in charge, though.

Can we perhaps see a researcher who is actually interested in extraterrestrial life in charge of SETI pretty please Sagan Institute?

Shostak is out for glory. It's clear from his repeated statements that UFOs are not alien craft, and that detection of ET can ONLY come from SETI.

Ignoring events like the Battle of LA are a huge red flag when one is claiming to be interested in such data...

Id take a skeptical scientist looking for ET any day, than some snakeoil salesman like Stanton Friedman.

If Seth Shostak screams ET chances are that we actually might have something.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• bison

• mcrom901

• badeskov

• Lilly

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

how old is this habitable planet?

Based on the apparent age of the star, they're saying that it is probably somewhat older than Earth. Plenty of time for life, even intelligent life to have evolved, assuming it got started there. The fact that they're calling it 'habitable' does not mean that it would be ideal for human beings. Our world probably wouldn't seem very suitable to beings from a planet with half our surface gravity, either.

...If Seth Shostak screams ET chances are that we actually might have something.

Oh yeah, if Seth Shostak starts yelling "ET" I'm most certainly listening. :yes:

Great...now we'll have someone 600 light years away saying "Can you hear me now?"

Too Good for School BowieMom ! and welcome to the greatest forum on earth, so far ! Were trying to get the ISS to hook up !

Enjoy the fourms great peeps !

I just finished putting up thousands of lights ,Well its time to be merry !

Welcome again justDONTEATUS ! :tu:

post-68971-0-77038500-1323400625_thumb.j

It would be great if we learn for a fact we are not alone. But if we pick up signals it may be bad. A person is smart and can understand what it would mean, but people as a whole are dumb and the only thing it would mean in real life is even more BS religions popping up. i would also bet looting and more violence would occure with the excuse that the governments knew for years and hid it. Even if they truly didnt. And i really do mean IF the governments didn't know. I personally have faith life exists all over the universe, but have no faith in people as a whole being able to handle proof.

The protocols, which Dr. Kaku never got around to explaining, do *not* say that news of the discovery of intelligent extraterrestrial radio signals should be concealed. They *do* say that, in common with other scientific discoveries, it should be thoroughly and repeatedly confirmed by independent observers, and then released to the general public.

where *did* you get all that from?

sounds a proper scientific approach, though, don't you think?

Based on the apparent age of the star, they're saying that it is probably somewhat older than Earth. Plenty of time for life, even intelligent life to have evolved, assuming it got started there. The fact that they're calling it 'habitable' does not mean that it would be ideal for human beings. Our world probably wouldn't seem very suitable to beings from a planet with half our surface gravity, either.

ok how old is the star?

ok how old is the star?

A specific figure for the age of the star is not available. It's mass is ~97 % that of the Sun, while it's diameter is ~98 % . Main sequence stars are known to slowly increase their diameters over billions of years. This small excess in size, in proportion to mass, was presumably interpreted to suggest that Kepler 22 is further along in this process than the Sun, hence older.

From a good deal of reading on the subject. Here is a video of Dr. Jill Tarter of the SETI Institute explaining how the protocols would work in practice. She manages to do this in just three minutes.
Edited by bison

Here is a video of Dr. Jill Tarter of the SETI Institute explaining how the protocols would work in practice.

she clearly mentions that there was a post detection protocol when they were being funded by 'nasa'... but, do you have any evidence that there are no such funding anymore? or that when the pdp was actually dropped?

Edited by mcrom901

she clearly mentions that there was a post detection protocol when they were being funded by 'nasa'... but, do you have any evidence that there are no such funding anymore? or that when the pdp was actually dropped?

I assume that Dr. Tarter was giving an accurate account, when she stated that the NASA-era protocols were no longer in force. I think it likely that the NASA funding was actually cut in 1992. I remember when this happened, and how the SETI Institute had to scramble to find private donors, including myself. One of their early, privately funded projects was called 'Phoenix'- - as in the bird that rises from the ashes of it's own destruction. They still have a protocol, of sorts. All scientists do. As Dr. Tarter stated in the video, its all about getting other, independent observers to confirm the existence, and extraterrestrial nature, of a candidate SETI signal, then publish in the scientific press, then tell everyone.

• 2 months later...

Hey, I'm not too informed about everything SETI does, but could someone tell me if they have not at least looked at where each of the oldest cultures on Earth believed their people came from, or where their gods came from...

Over 60% of the religions believe that their gods or people came from the Orion Sector... I mean that alone should dedicate an entire fleet of satalites pointing there... If you even want to get technical you could try and calculate their perception of the stars when the Earth was on a different axis...