Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Some People Can Hallucinate Colours at Will

Still Waters

Scientists at the University of Hull have found that some people have the ability to hallucinate colours at will -- even without the help of hypnosis.

The study, published this week in the journal Consciousness and Cognition, was carried out in the Department of Psychology at the University of Hull. It focused on a group of people that had shown themselves to be 'highly suggestible' in hypnosis.

The subjects were asked to look at a series of monochrome patterns and to see colour in them. They were tested under hypnosis and without hypnosis and both times reported that they were able to see colours.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Mr Right Wing

• Rlyeh

• JGirl

• ether2

The term 'hallucinate' is used wrongly because colour is just perception anyway.

According to the definition of hallucinate its correct.

According to the definition of hallucinate its correct.

Seeing as colour is only perception all experience of colour is hallucination.

They havent suddenly discovered people that 'can hallucinate colours at will' we all do it every moment of our lives because colour isnt real.

They havent suddenly discovered people that 'can hallucinate colours at will' we all do it every moment of our lives because colour isnt real.

Hallucination is sensory impressions in the absense of external stimuli. Normally seeing color is the result of special cells in the eye reacting to light wave length.

You're comparing two very different things.

because colour isnt real.

do you think other things are not real, for example being material things such wood/bricks/TV's/computers etc etc...

good luck

love

do you think other things are not real, for example being material things such wood/bricks/TV's/computers etc etc...

good luck

love

Hallucination is sensory impressions in the absense of external stimuli. Normally seeing color is the result of special cells in the eye reacting to light wave length.

You're comparing two very different things.

Both of you, the eye is connected to the brain via an optic nerve.

Optic nerves conduct electrical signals which they pass from your eye to the brain. Optic nerves do not conduct the none existant property called colour.

Photons come in different wave lengths not different colours. The cone cells on your retina are triggered by photons with certain wavelengths and when triggered they produce the electical signals the optic nerve sends to the brain.

Your brain gathers up the electrical signals and creates what you call vision. Colour is part of that and is nothing more than mental perception. All colour is halluncination.

good luck

love

Lets use the brick.

If you chip off the corner of a brick is it still a brick?

If you chip off 1/4 of the brick is it still a brick?

If we keep removing parts of it at what stage does it cease to be a brick?

See, you cant even define to me the bare minimum needed for a brick to be considered a brick. If you're a reductionist then even you would realise the atoms that make up the object are whats real not the object itself. Thats just an idea as to what a collection of atoms arranged in a certain way are.

As for objects then most of what you call a brick, a tv, a computer etc is empty space because atoms are mostly nothingness. Your brain distorts that with mental perception so you think theres a complete and solid object existing in front of you.

As for a solipsist opinion as to what objects are then thats a different debate altogether.

No ****.
Optic nerves conduct electrical signals which they pass from your eye to the brain. Optic nerves do not conduct the none existant property called colour.
Actually they conduct signals from the cells that register color.

http://au.pantone.co...?pg=19357&ca=29

Your brain gathers up the electrical signals and creates what you call vision. Colour is part of that and is nothing more than mental perception. All colour is halluncination.
You're wrong, I already pointed out color is from an external stimuli.

All you did was repeat what I already said, while disregarding the fact halluncination is the absence of external stimuli.If you want to claim color is a halluncination, show me there is no external stimuli.

Edited by Rlyeh

No ****.

Actually they conduct signals from the cells that register color.

http://au.pantone.co...?pg=19357&ca=29

You're wrong, I already pointed out color is from an external stimuli.

All you did was repeat what I already said, while disregarding the fact halluncination is the absence of external stimuli.If you want to claim color is a halluncination, show me there is no external stimuli.

Colour is not an external stimuli.

However photons are if their wavelengths fall within the range needed to be detected by the cones in your eye.

Your brain analyses the electrical signals from the cones and creates what you see which includes colour. What you see out of your eyes is nothing more than perception, it isnt whats really out there.

Colour is not a property of photons wavelengths are.

Colour is not an external stimuli.

However photons are if their wavelengths fall within the range needed to be detected by the cones in your eye.

Your brain analyses the electrical signals from the cones and creates what you see which includes colour. What you see out of your eyes is nothing more than perception, it isnt whats really out there.

Colour is not a property of photons wavelengths are.

If read what I wrote I never said color is an external stimuli, color is formed from external stimuli.

Likewise so is touch, taste and hearing.

Besides knocking down straw men, can you support your claim that color is hallucination (absence of external stimuli)?That is there is no light (external stimuli) entering the eye, stimulating the cone cells, optic nerve transmitting the signals, etc.

Edited by Rlyeh

huh?

shade or hue of color may be perception but color is not hallucination. the cones in your retina are responsible for seeing color, not your imagination.

If read what I wrote I never said color is an external stimuli, color is formed from external stimuli.

Likewise so is touch, taste and hearing.

Besides knocking down straw men, can you support your claim that color is hallucination (absence of external stimuli)?That is there is no light (external stimuli) entering the eye, stimulating the cone cells, optic nerve transmitting the signals, etc.

Thats better.

Sure, do you dream in colour?

Thats better.

Sure, do you dream in colour?

Ofcourse I do.I'm not sure how this shows color is hallucinatory.

I'm aware dreams are defined by some as hallucinations.

Edited by Rlyeh

Ofcourse I do.I'm not sure how this shows color is hallucinatory.

I'm aware dreams are defined by some as hallucinations.

When your eyes are closed at night no there is no visual sensorary input.

Yet you dream in vision and colour because the mechanisms which create vision and colour are in your head not outside it.

Edited by Mr Right Wing

Photons come in different wave lengths not different colours. The cone cells on your retina are triggered by photons with certain wavelengths and when triggered they produce the electical signals the optic nerve sends to the brain.

rule one section (...?), believe noth'n of a neuro, learn it yourself...

as their in it for the "economy", only, they cover everything they dont like people becoming smarter than them, theirs an industrie that keeps them under the thumb so to speak :devil: ...

one of the biggest BS industries of all time...

Lets use the brick.

If you chip off the corner of a brick is it still a brick?

If you chip off 1/4 of the brick is it still a brick?

If we keep removing parts of it at what stage does it cease to be a brick?

See, you cant even define to me the bare minimum needed for a brick to be considered a brick. If you're a reductionist then even you would realise the atoms that make up the object are whats real not the object itself. Thats just an idea as to what a collection of atoms arranged in a certain way are.

As for objects then most of what you call a brick, a tv, a computer etc is empty space because atoms are mostly nothingness. Your brain distorts that with mental perception so you think theres a complete and solid object existing in front of you.

As for a solipsist opinion as to what objects are then thats a different debate altogether.

all right then, answer this if you will, tell me what do you know about metaphysics/hermetics projection etc (minds abilities), the reason i'm asking this is their is a reason for this beliefe structure (above quote), i'll see if i can point you in the direction so you can see for yourself...

thats all it is a beliefe structure for a very good reason, if i said it without you haveing any knowledge of what i asked of the above regarding projection etc, you will just think i'm :wacko:

heres a line of thinking to start with, think of the term "when worlds collide"...

what do you think that means...

good luck

love

Mr_Right_Wing,

I wouldn't consider perceiving as akin to hallucinating.

Seeing colors are part of the way our brains perceive information from our eyeballs. It's not that the colors aren't actually there per se; they are there, as different wavelengths of light and whatnot. Our brains simply(or not so) organize that info into an image; complete with the colors we know. It's the perception of external stimuli. Not the hallucination of external stimuli; which would mean it's not really there.

Hallucinations would not be based on external stimuli. IE seeing red, even when the wavelengths for red isn't hitting your eyeball and being sent to your brain.

----

I bet it's possible to induce a Ganzfeld effect of sorts at will. Also I wonder if they surveyed the test groups on their history of recreational psychotomimetic/entheogen use. :geek:

Edited by Mr_Snstr

Yet you dream in vision and colour because the mechanisms which create vision and colour are in your head not outside it.

your dreams are information being processed while you sleep. the memory of color is integrated into your dream.

i can close my eyes right now and imagine any color. it's not a hallucination, it's a memory of something i have experienced before.

Its because of memory, those who become blind eventually stop dreaming in color or even visually.

your dreams are information being processed while you sleep. the memory of color is integrated into your dream.

i can close my eyes right now and imagine any color. it's not a hallucination, it's a memory of something i have experienced before.

If colour is externally and independantly real from a persons mind then -

1. Why does a colour blind person see a different colour from you?

2. Why does the optic nerve only conduct electrical signals?

Photons are real but colour is perception.

Its like a sonar radar screen. The radar blips dont exist out there but they do represent real objects that do.

If colour is externally and independantly real from a persons mind then -

1. Why does a colour blind person see a different colour from you?

2. Why does the optic nerve only conduct electrical signals?

Photons are real but colour is perception.

Its like a sonar radar screen. The radar blips dont exist out there but they do represent real objects that do.

i get your point, really i do. i just don't see what the big deal is with whether it is 'real' or not.

we can all pretty much agree that there is a process involved in our brains being able to see color.

i would not agree that this concludes that color is not real. that's just playing with words for argument's sake. not really valid to me.

s/he is stuck in a beliefe structure that does not want to admit they have been led down a particular path, balancing effect...

theirs a very good reason for this particular beliefe structure and noth'n to be ashamed about should one want to do the research as to why we think/believe in the way we do, beliefe structures are usually from the religion side of things therefore they know best and their is no religion better than theirs and so on, and no-one can tell them differently...

color is real everything is real in non/material form and then their is that of non-material form experienced from "up there" plains etc, for those that know what im say'n remember the term "when worlds collide", obviously s/he has no knowledge of what im talking about here otherwise they would have answered my questions, this is where one can start to understand about that particular beliefe structure why it exists, it's an excellent beliefe structure to have existed should one know about whats "up there" plains etc, that particular beliefe structure is for "up there" it's sole main purpose is about "up there" thats what it is in reference too, now add in whats in the physical world is "real" (think, it's easy) for those that do know about the plains etc (projection), think with what that particular beliefe structure means combined with "when worlds collide", this is how planet earth and the universe come about (many know this), dont argue it of course i cant prove it over the internet, it's common knowledge to many, this is mainly part why that beliefe structure exists (stepping stone), it's heaps cool to learn being consciousness why we think/believe the way we do...

good luck

love