Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giant snakes commonly attacked hunter-

Still Waters

Humans have an ambivalent relationship with snakes. The legless reptiles are often feared and reviled, becoming stand-ins for the Devil and movie monster characters; yet many people have grown to love snakes, raising large, even dangerous, specimens as pets.Now, new research suggests that the ecological role between snakes and humans, as well as other primates, is more nuanced than expected. After spending decades living among the Agta Negritos people in the Philippines, anthropologist Thomas Headland has found that the hunter gatherer tribes were quite commonly attacked by reticulated pythons (Python reticulatus), while the people themselves had no qualms with hunting, killing, and consuming python.

"We know little [...] about the dangers that snakes actually posed to extinct hominins or contemporary humans with prehistoric lifestyles," Headland and co-author, Harry W. Greene, write in a new paper in the Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences (PNAS). To decipher how snakes and humans may have interacted in the deep past, Headland interviewed 120 indigenous Agta Negritos adults about their interactions with reticulated pythons.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Lilly

• Doctor_Strangelove

• Still Waters

• dreyfoss

kill or be killed. eat or be eaten. same old crap that has been going on since life began. nature is uncaring and unbiased. you live or die on luck and your own merits.

Some people hate snakes. I love them, they're delicious.

atleast the snakes aint on a plane this time around =P

Enough is enough! I have had it with these mother******* snakes in this mother******* jungle! :devil:

atleast the snakes aint on a plane this time around =P

Touché :tu:

The two pictures in the article do show tremendously big snakes.

The first appears to be well over 20 feet long.

* Copyrighted image *

Lets send congress and the senate there and make tham stay until they work out a compromise. No guns or security allowed, If we loose a few, we mght be better off.

Adapt or die? It's probably not that dire, but maybe give the tribe a few M4s or Aks to even the odds in their favour against their serpent enemy?

what is not mentioned is how the men of this tribe actually defend themselves against these creatures. Do they use knives? guns? whatever it use they have to defend themselves with they must be expert in their use as once a python attacks it immediately coils around its victim.

Oh yes and we need a moderator in this section to filter out the retards.

Some people hate snakes. I love them, they're delicious.

I've tried snake. If you get over the fact that you are eating a snake, it's pretty good.

I think a review of the rules is in order (SewerRat especially):

3f. Abusive behaviour: Do not be rude, insulting, offensive, snide, obnoxious or abusive towards other members.

Please discuss the subject matter, not one another.