Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

New study claims Turin Shroud is authentic

Still Waters

In what seems to be the small portion of the Gospel of Peter that we have remaining, the narrative starts of with Herod saying that they could take Jesus and do as they wish to him. Then it says that when Joseph, who was a friend of both Pilot and of Jesus, when Joseph heard they were going to crucify him, he asked if he could have the body when they was done, so that he could bury him.

Thus, it seems he could have done either as easily as the other. The respect for the religious practices would give permission for the Jewish way. The status of the people governing a land would tend to influence the governing's way of doing things. (In our translation work, we have found out the hard way about the influence of status through village surveys. It is linked directly to acceptance. We do the work first with those of the highest status.) However, the occupying force was not appreciated.

Nothing says what kind of wrapping was done. However, saying that Joseph wrapped the body inclines me to think he did not merely cover the body, although the linen wrapping around the end is also a wrap.

Although the crucifixion was done in a hurry when they thought time had gotten away from them, there was plenty of time during the crucifixion to have his servants or for he himself to gather the goods needed for burial. And then three to sunset to prepare the body.

All of that to say, I have no idea! But I will continue to watch for clues as I continue to read the book.

One can not help but wonder what effect there was on him as a child living close to a village that was wiped out by the Romans because the village kept repeatedly rebelling against Rome. How many of those people did he see or know got crucified? Did he feel that would be his fate if he did or even if he did not obey his God? Or were they in Egypt at the time of that event?

Thank you encouraged....that was a very informative reply and im very grateful to you for it

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• ThePhantomFlanFlinger

• fullywired

• JonnyBeGoode

• Robbie333