Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 3
Still Waters

Local Residents Spot Bigfoot In West Virginia

84 posts in this topic

"Because so many people making claims can't be wrong!"

Well, if the sightings are all over the country, why has no evidence been recovered anywhere?

Lather, rinse, repeat.

There is also the opinions that we do not find bodies because they bury their dead, and that we do not find evidence because they are loners. ( If they are loners, then, how do they know when one dies, so that they can bury the body?)

here is also the opinions that we do not find bodies because they bury their dead, and that we do not find evidence because they are loners. ( If they are loners, then, how do they know when one dies, so that they can bury the body?)

Exactly, that's another one.

Not to mention where are the tools that they use to bury their dead, or how do they cart/carry them away, and how do they get notified when one who is walking around in civilization has died... etc. etc. etc...

I've often wondered what is it about some of us (as humans) that makes us want to believe so ardently that bigfoot and other cryptids exist? What does the psychology behind the belief consist of, ya know? Because either bigfoot does exist or it doesn't. logic would have us believe that its impossible for this, that, and the other reasons, yet people continue to believe despite that. I'm becoming more and more of a skeptic as I get older and hopefully wiser. Does anyone have stats on exactly how many sightings have been recorded of Bigfoot/squatch/skunk ape...whatever?

Wouldn't the same logic apply to ghosts, aliens, magic, God/religion, miracles, psychic abilities, ect... ???

If so, then this entire site/forum is a wasted effort, right? Only here for entertainment value...

"Because bigfoot only lives in far away remote places that people don't often visit!"

Then how can you use the amount of sightings across the whole country as evidence, if you claim bigfoot only lives in remote areas?

I don't believe I have used this excuse of "Sightings all over the Country/World.". I generally try to go one case at a time and judge off the merrits, or lack thereof, of each case/report.

I think there is something behind the Bigfoot phenomena, be it mass subcontious delusion, or hobos, or a rare giant ape. I believe the phenomena is real. And arguing that it is not because an ape (that you decide the physical properties of) is not possible in your opinion is very limited in imagination.

Wouldn't the same logic apply to ghosts, aliens, magic, God/religion, miracles, psychic abilities, ect... ???

If so, then this entire site/forum is a wasted effort, right? Only here for entertainment value...

I'm under the impression that this site IS only here for entertainment value. Are you under a different impression?

I

think there is something behind the Bigfoot phenomena,

So do I. It is a wonderful illustration of the human mind and how it works.

be it mass subcontious delusion,

We know that the mind fills in gaps that the eye has. We KNOW this happens. And this is why the photos are also so terrible, but the eyewitness claims that they saw it so clear. The camera eye doesn't lie, but the human eye does.

or hobos,

"hobo?"

Is it 1919 again? But sure, some sightings could actually be people in the woods, sure.

or a rare giant ape.

That one is virtually impossible.

And arguing that it is not because an ape (that you decide the physical properties of)

I don't decide anything. I just apply what we know about the ecology and animals to the discussion. It's the bigfoot believers who have to make up new properties for their bigfoot. Because, if we apply the existing properties based on our knowledge of the ecology and our wealth of zoological knowledge, bigfoot cannot be real. Hence, the imagining of all these new properties for bigfoot. ie: he has a super long stomach to digest the plants in the PNW, he has some sort of low frequency distress call undetectable by humans or our technology to call to his friends when he's almost dead, he can maintain his species with a number FAR lower than required by all other mammals, he has the culture to bury his dead, yet somehow hides that culture, etc. etc.

All made up to shoehorn bigfoot into the existing ecology.

your opinion is very limited in imagination.

That's right. I apply as little imagination to a scientific problem as I consciously can, choosing to base my opinion on the logical application of scientific knowledge and logic.

It is kinda funny when I think about it. I first got interested in Bigfoot and other cryptids why I was maybe 7 or 8 years old. My grandmother gave me a Childcraft book that was about the topic. I got interested and read everything there was to find on Bigfoot in particular over the next few years. The funny part is that i got disinterested as kids do and only rekindled my interest in the last year or so. What has surprised me is how much more sophisticated Bigfoot has become in the ensuing years, with one ability and then another springing up to seemingly always counter skeptics. Its like the old contest of armor versus armament. As soon as a skeptic comes up with a new reason why Bigfoot and other undiscovered megafauna can't exist, some new and nearly magical property of said megafauna springs up to counter it. its a little too convenient, especially given the lack of evidence to prove the existence of the animal - let alone discuss its abilities, habits, etc.....

Perhaps there is a bit too much imagination flying around in the cryptid community. After all, any unproven assertion is equally as valid as the next. I'll bet that Bigfoot actually can levitate in order to better escape detection, or has the ability to supercool his body so as to avoid showing up on thermal imagers for anything but the most frustratingly short blip of a second.

I think I've officially crossed over into the skeptic camp....its sad to let a childhood belief die - "..trading magic for fact - no tradebacks" - (Eddie Vedder).

I'll bet that Bigfoot actually can levitate in order to better escape detection, or has the ability to supercool his body so as to avoid showing up on thermal imagers for anything but the most frustratingly short blip of a second.

There's as much evidence for your above assertions as there are for anything else I've heard...

There's as much evidence for your above assertions as there are for anything else I've heard...

Exactly. Though they weren't as much assertions as snarky sarcasm.

I think I've officially crossed over into the skeptic camp....its sad to let a childhood belief die - "..trading magic for fact - no tradebacks" - (Eddie Vedder).

Oh No! Not after just 16 posts! The Horror! The Horror.... (weeping...)

Welcome to UM Forums! Have Fun!

Edited by DieChecker