Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Attacks on a church

Beckys_Mom

LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — An explosion ripped through a Catholic church during Christmas Mass near Nigeria's capital Sunday, killing at least 25 people there, officials said. A radical Muslim sect claimed the attack and another bombing near a church in the restive city of Jos, as explosions also struck the nation's northeast.

The Christmas Day attacks show the growing national ambition of the sect known as Boko Haram, which is responsible for at least 495 killings this year alone, according to an Associated Press count. The assaults come a year after a series of Christmas Eve bombings in Jos claimed by the militants left at least 32 dead and 74 wounded.http://news.yahoo.co...-123853144.html

My question here is.. Why do people find it ok to attack churches by bombing and killing? I do not get it.. I have seen Church s get vandalized over in my own country...but no killings I can think of.. but IMO it is vile and wrong.. So why do people do these things?

• Replies 37
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Beckys_Mom

• Orcseeker

• thedutchiedutch

• FLOMBIE

Top Posters In This Topic

A lot of people in a small confined area, that is all

This answers my question........how?

This answers my question........how?

Killing people in a church, a street, their own home etc is wrong regardless. It does not make it any better to kill someone in the street than a church. They aren't concerned with it being "ok" but simply because they can maximize casualties due to high density of people in a small area.

Well from a heinous point of view, churches are perfect targets. Lot of people, hitting a religion one is against, and showing no fear to demolish anything to make a statement. Only thing better than a church to get that kind of point across would be a Sunday or church school.

From my point of view, what a bunch of gutless jacknapes. They could go el mano, but nope, they gotta choose the lame route to get their point across. Sick and sad :(

LAGOS, Nigeria (AP) — An explosion ripped through a Catholic church during Christmas Mass near Nigeria's capital Sunday, killing at least 25 people there, officials said. A radical Muslim sect claimed the attack and another bombing near a church in the restive city of Jos, as explosions also struck the nation's northeast.

The Christmas Day attacks show the growing national ambition of the sect known as Boko Haram, which is responsible for at least 495 killings this year alone, according to an Associated Press count. The assaults come a year after a series of Christmas Eve bombings in Jos claimed by the militants left at least 32 dead and 74 wounded.http://news.yahoo.co...-123853144.html

My question here is.. Why do people find it ok to attack churches by bombing and killing? I do not get it.. I have seen Church s get vandalized over in my own country...but no killings I can think of.. but IMO it is vile and wrong.. So why do people do these things?

Why do people find it ok ? You mean the people who claimed to have done this ?

Killing people in a church, a street, their own home etc is wrong regardless. It does not make it any better to kill someone in the street than a church.

Really? I didn't know that people could get killed in other places too.. I only thought it could only ever happen in a Church... my word I have opened my eyes !!

Sarcasm to one side - If I wanted to make a thread on killing in the streets and in pubs, clubs, sports arenas.. drive by shootings ect.. I would have went to the -TRUE CRIME section of the board and done that....... As this is ONLY about killing and bombing a church.. then that is why it is here....and it is not asking if you think it is better or not.. it is asking WHY do they do it?

It never fails...the thread could be set around any certain thing .. and lean on that.. and someone is bound to come in and say - no wait it is not just that there are blah blah's done too ... I feel like saying WELL DUH.....What so many fail to understand that threads have an aim...this one is aimed solely at church killings and bombings... Not other killings

Edited by Beckys_Mom

Why do people find it ok ? You mean the people who claimed to have done this ?

What do you think? Read it and let me know... It also does not matter if someone owns up to doing it.. it is obvious for those that do it think it is ok.. otherwise they wouldn't do it

What do you think? Read it and let me know... It also does not matter if someone owns up to doing it.. it is obvious for those that do it think it is ok.. otherwise they wouldn't do it

Extremists need to hate and destroy anyone who threatens their sense of security and superiority ?

Extremists need to hate and destroy anyone who threatens their sense of security and superiority ?

And also could be they feel it is their religious right to kill off any other faith as much as possible.. hence why do it on Christmas day and why pick out churches to attack?

I agree HATE is the key..but I cannot wrap my head around it........

And also could be they feel it is their religious right to kill off any other faith as much as possible.. hence why do it on Christmas day and why pick out churches to attack?

I agree HATE is the key..but I cannot wrap my head around it........

I think that the extremists even have a word for this. It is called "Jihad". Cannot wrap my head around it either Becky. It is all just a shame and attack on humanity.

I think that the extremists even have a word for this. It is called "Jihad". Cannot wrap my head around it either Becky. It is all just a shame and attack on humanity.

As if this would only happen to churches, and as if the perpetrators would always and only be muslims. We have had many incidents of attacks on mosques here in Berlin.

As if this would only happen to churches, and as if the perpetrators would always and only be muslims. We have had many incidents of attacks on mosques here in Berlin.

Hi Flombie. Actually Becky was asking "Why do people find it ok to attack churches by bombing and killing?"

Whether the attack was done by muslims or not is not the question. But in this case a radical Muslim sect claimed the attack. Furthermore i am sorry to hear about incidents of attacks on mosques in Berlin. It is not right.

Places of worship.. I never could understand it...Especially when they all seem to follow the same God

I didn't bring it down on just churches, as all religious temples are the same for me. But Jihad is the wrong term, in my opinion. It is hate and religious intolerance.

Indeed, B_M, I cannot understand it as well. Even though I am not religious, I respect any place of worshipm as I see them as peaceful and quiet retreats. I wouldn't want anyone to burn down my local park either, which is my quiet retreat.

I didn't bring it down on just churches, as all religious temples are the same for me. But Jihad is the wrong term, in my opinion. It is hate and religious intolerance.

Indeed, B_M, I cannot understand it as well. Even though I am not religious, I respect any place of worshipm as I see them as peaceful and quiet retreats. I wouldn't want anyone to burn down my local park either, which is my quiet retreat.

I cannot stand religion... but I would not go out of my way to destroy and kill those in churches or any place of worship... I would need to be evil to do that .and again I SERIOUSLY cannot stand religion .. and that means any religion. but my strong dislike or hate for religion doesn't give me the rights to kill people and destroy their places of worship

Any time I have heard of this destruction done, over in my own country and other places, is usually done by religious people .. and I am not kidding..

Places of worship.. I never could understand it...Especially when they all seem to follow the same God

Exactly BM.... it's a Catholic Church the muslims attacked in the article and they reverie Jesus as a prophet? Where is the logic in that? :wacko:

Edited by Star of the Sea

Probably because they have done so wickedly to that person and drove him insane, it ain't right, but then again, neither are they.

Really? I didn't know that people could get killed in other places too.. I only thought it could only ever happen in a Church... my word I have opened my eyes !!

Sarcasm to one side - If I wanted to make a thread on killing in the streets and in pubs, clubs, sports arenas.. drive by shootings ect.. I would have went to the -TRUE CRIME section of the board and done that....... As this is ONLY about killing and bombing a church.. then that is why it is here....and it is not asking if you think it is better or not.. it is asking WHY do they do it?

It never fails...the thread could be set around any certain thing .. and lean on that.. and someone is bound to come in and say - no wait it is not just that there are blah blah's done too ... I feel like saying WELL DUH.....What so many fail to understand that threads have an aim...this one is aimed solely at church killings and bombings... Not other killings

I just explained why, whether it is linked to attacking a certain religion or simply scaring people from their place of worship or whatnot. To put it simply, blow up a bomb on a street vs in a church. Which would gain more casualties? More publicity?

I just included those other scenarios as an example that to these terrorist groups, the location is simply chosen to maximize casualties and not selected purely as an attack on a place of worship.

You can make someone feel in danger walking down a street, but you can make them feel nowhere is safe if you attack their place of worship.

Edited by Orcseeker

Well I'm going to go with the theory of karma here.

It is insane to watch people kill each other over which one of their invisible friends is really real.

I just explained why, whether it is linked to attacking a certain religion or simply scaring people from their place of worship or whatnot. To put it simply, blow up a bomb on a street vs in a church. Which would gain more casualties? More publicity?

I just included those other scenarios as an example that to these terrorist groups, the location is simply chosen to maximize casualties and not selected purely as an attack on a place of worship.

You can make someone feel in danger walking down a street, but you can make them feel nowhere is safe if you attack their place of worship.

Your points had nothing to do with my question or the thread..

Exactly BM.... it's a Catholic Church the muslims attacked in the article and they reverie Jesus as a prophet? Where is the logic in that? :wacko:

Hate plays a larger roles on this earth linked to religion than anything else Star.......Of course there is no logic, even if they never saw Jesus as a prophet.. still no logic in any of it

Why do people find it ok to attack churches by bombing and killing?

Explained that it doesn't necessarily matter if it is ok or not to the terrorists but simply a matter of instilling fear, maximising casualties and generating publicity for the group.

So why do people do these things?

If you are generally referring to these sort of attacks, whether they be motivated by hate against a religion or it's practice or the reasons I have stated above.

I understand my answers before were not linked to any moralities but instead a different insight to another motivation for the reasons

Explained that it doesn't necessarily matter if it is ok or not to the terrorists but simply a matter of instilling fear, maximising casualties and generating publicity for the group.

So why do people do these things?

If you are generally referring to these sort of attacks, whether they be motivated by hate against a religion or it's practice or the reasons I have stated above.

I understand my answers before were not linked to any moralities but instead a different insight to another motivation for the reasons these churches are attacked in such a way.

I asked why do they think it is OK

I asked why do they think it is OK

That probably doesn't matter to them.

But regardless, people still do things they don't think is ok sometimes.