Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Giving up eating meat

Mistydawn

I am thinking of giving up eating meat.

I would really appreciate some feedback... the pros and cons in a Spiritual context, not necessarily for health reasons.

Please share your thoughts. Much appreciated.

• Replies 448
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Shabd Mystic

• redhen

• Beckys_Mom

• Mistydawn

I cannot think of any....... I feel it is not healthy to give up meat... but in a spiritual sense.. Sorry i cannot be of help

I would really appreciate some feedback... the pros and cons in a Spiritual context, not necessarily for health reasons.

Well if you are happy with not eating meat, and you can do it and afford it.

Then why not?

i find it always so sad to watch Crabs tied up in a aquarium.

Are you also going to give up other animal products, seafood, and dairy ? I think if ethical considerations are the motive, you have to give up the lot. But how healthy is that ? The main problem that potentially arises is Vitamin B 12 deficiency.

Sometimes I wonder if broccoli screams when you chew it.

Bear in mind that humans have carnivorous ancestors who hunted to survive.

What is your motivation if I may ask.

First, just on the health issue Mostof the worlds population are vegtarians. There isnt a health issue if you have a balanced vegetarian diet, but as with all health issues take medical advice Certa types of peole need more supplemets or differnt forms of vegetarian food Including young women to prevent anemia. Not all doctors are equal so seek a variety odf sdvice.

About half my family and friends are vegetarian. Some have lived so, for over 60 years (even up to 95 years of age.) Others took it up as modern teenagers for ethical/personal reasons. I have a 16 yea rold neice who will eat fish and sea food but no other meat because of relative awareness of fish oysters prawns etc versus other animals

Second are those ethical reasons. The world could not support its present population if they all atemeat as westerners do. Which makes it arguably unethicla for us to eat so much mea tjus tbecause we can. Most humans have little or no meat in teir diet.

Many dont get enough to eat, and go hungry, but thats a problem with quantity not quality. And meat eating increases your carbon and ecological footprints greatly Meat animlas are one of the greatest producers of carbon in terms of global warming. And to feed a person mea ttekes far more of the earths resources ncluding a lot more water , than if we ate fruit veges. etc.

If you want to "walk lightly" on our planet, then eating less or no meat, is a good way to do so.

Finally, spiritually. It doesnt matter if you are buddhist or christian etc., eating an animal is not the most spiritual way to live. The diet of the bible is a vegetarian one for both health and spiritual reasons. it promotes good health, and thus a good body for the spirit to live in. That diet is basically fruit nuts vegetables and cereals, with lots of water. (Its not much good being vegetarian if you drink lots of soft drink/or alcohol)

Such a diet can almost eliminate heart diseases, adult onset diabetes, and many cancers. It adds about a decade to a western life and greatly improves physiclal and often mental fitness and capabilities .

All of this information id s scientifically proven, and can be researched to verify it.

Im an not a total vegetarian, but we eat small amounts of meat by western standards, and many days eat none at all. i know I would be both healthier and fitter if i ate no meat at all, but I just love the damn stuff. Mind you, I havent eaten more than a dozen meals of beef or lamb all year, for a variety of reasons, and i never eat any pig meat.

Edited by Mr Walker

First, just on the health issue Mostof the worlds population are vegtarians. There isnt a health issue if you have a balanced vegetarian diet, but as with all health issues take medical advice Certa types of peole need more supplemets or differnt forms of vegetarian food Including young women to prevent anemia. Not all doctors are equal so seek a variety odf sdvice.

Can you provide some numbers? Because from where I'm standing I don't see a most of the world population being vegans.

Second are those ethical reasons. The world could not support its present population if they all atemeat as westerners do. Which makes it arguably unethicla for us to eat so much mea tjus tbecause we can. Most humans have little or no meat in teir diet.

This could be called indeed a ethical reason: should we starve ourselves simply to accommodate people who can't deal with overpopulation.

Such a diet can almost eliminate heart diseases, adult onset diabetes, and many cancers. It adds about a decade to a western life and greatly improves physiclal and often mental fitness and capabilities .

Again could you give numbers. From personal experience, I've noticed vegetarians and vegans have the most health problems, stressed and with less physical activities (methinking of libido in particular)(during a vegeterian experience of couple years noticed my libido going down and down and down)

All of this information id s scientifically proven, and can be researched to verify it.

Im an not a total vegetarian, but we eat small amounts of meat by western standards, and many days eat none at all. i know I would be both healthier and fitter if i ate no meat at all, but I just love the damn stuff. Mind you, I havent eaysten more than a dozen meals of beef or lamb all year, for a variety of reasons, and i never eat any pig meat.

As I always said depend who pays for the research. When studies came out that oatmeal was good for reducing cholesterol, everyone and his brother jumped on the bandwagon, until they found out quaker oats forked the bill for the research. In particular they forgot to mention that the reduction occurred only when eating a healthy diet. I eat all sorts of meat, but very little beef: fish, frogs, horse (seldom) most of the time chicken and turkey. And got to say for my age I feel real good.

Edited by Paracelse

I think of three things. If you are coming from a christian perspective you have to sort out what is written as a reflection of the laws of the times and what is actually written as guidance for what you "should" eat. Also are you interested in transubstantiation? I only ask b/c outside of paradise lost I can't say I've ever encountered it - even as a Christian. Actually maybe go look at that text as it is a concern of Adam's. Finally, I know that in almost every instance you can eat fish - in a spiritual sense - so would you continue to each fish? Leviticus mentions shellfish as being an abomination - but like i said, have to sift through all that stuff and decide what will and won't work for you. From an atheist perspective - less meat = better health = better sense of self and clear mind. So I'd say go for it. Its not like you're hurting anybody, worse thing that'll happen is you'll save some money on groceries.

Edited by f1gtr33

I cannot think of any....... I feel it is not healthy to give up meat... but in a spiritual sense.. Sorry i cannot be of help

Thanks Becky for responding. You didn't say why you think it's not healthy to give it up, but glancing through some of the other responses I expect you feel it gives a balanced diet.

Well if you are happy with not eating meat, and you can do it and afford it.

Then why not?

i find it always so sad to watch Crabs tied up in a aquarium.

I guess that is the sort of response I am looking for... how it makes you feel.

Are you also going to give up other animal products, seafood, and dairy ? I think if ethical considerations are the motive, you have to give up the lot. But how healthy is that ? The main problem that potentially arises is Vitamin B 12 deficiency.

I haven't made an absolute decision as yet Habitat on the topic. I am exploring my feelings about the whole issue of eating flesh.

Sometimes I wonder if broccoli screams when you chew it.

Bear in mind that humans have carnivorous ancestors who hunted to survive.

Good point Ron. The thing for me when people say things like remember our Ancestors did this or that, brings to mind that we are all brothers and sisters of one race and that means even those people we abhor like murderers etc, and I don't want to be like them either.

The issue with "do plants have rights too" stirs my brain into a frenzy!! I am just now, looking to explore the emotions and make the right choice rather than just continue along oblivious.

What is your motivation if I may ask.

Well dutchie, lots of different things but just this week I happened to switch channels of tv and came across a chef preparing a "suckling pig" I had to switch off and the image is stuck inside my head.:hmm:

About half my family and friends are vegetarian. Some have lived so, for over 60 years (even up to 95 years of age.) Others took it up as modern teenagers for ethical/personal reasons. I have a 16 yea rold neice who will eat fish and sea food but no other meat because of relative awareness of fish oysters prawns etc versus other animals

Many dont get enough to eat, and go hungry, but thats a problem with quantity not quality. And meat eating increases your carbon and ecological footprints greatly Meat animlas are one of the greatest producers of carbon in terms of global warming. And to feed a person mea ttekes far more of the earths resources ncluding a lot more water , than if we ate fruit veges. etc.

If you want to "walk lightly" on our planet, then eating less or no meat, is a good way to do so.

Finally, spiritually. It doesnt matter if you are buddhist or christian etc., eating an animal is not the most spiritual way to live. The diet of the bible is a vegetarian one for both health and spiritual reasons. it promotes good health, and thus a good body for the spirit to live in. That diet is basically fruit nuts vegetables and cereals, with lots of water. (Its not much good being vegetarian if you drink lots of soft drink/or alcohol)

Im an not a total vegetarian, but we eat small amounts of meat by western standards, and many days eat none at all. i know I would be both healthier and fitter if i ate no meat at all, but I just love the damn stuff. Mind you, I havent eaten more than a dozen meals of beef or lamb all year, for a variety of reasons, and i never eat any pig meat.

Thank you Mr Walker for your considered advise and for taking the time to respond.

I would ask though what you meant by “...the Bible is a vegetarian one..” I am not very well read when it comes to the Bible, but I always assumed it advocated eating meat “kill the fattened calf etc.”

One other thing, may I ask why you don’t eat pork?

Good point Ron. The thing for me when people say things like remember our Ancestors did this or that, brings to mind that we are all brothers and sisters of one race and that means even those people we abhor like murderers etc, and I don't want to be like them either.

The issue with "do plants have rights too" stirs my brain into a frenzy!! I am just now, looking to explore the emotions and make the right choice rather than just continue along oblivious.

yes and no - we derive from monkeys who are known to be herbivores engaging in only instances of carnivorous behavior. Research indicates that our early ancestors relied mostly on the kills of other animals like a hyena or vulture. So as far as our ancestors go we depended primarily on veggies - its only very recently that meat arrives as a mainstay for humans - even then as Mr. Walker correctly points out, most of the world does not consume meat in vast amounts simply b/c it can be an expensive commodity.

I think of three things. If you are coming from a christian perspective you have to sort out what is written as a reflection of the laws of the times and what is actually written as guidance for what you "should" eat. Also are you interested in transubstantiation? I only ask b/c outside of paradise lost I can't say I've ever encountered it - even as a Christian. Actually maybe go look at that text as it is a concern of Adam's. Finally, I know that in almost every instance you can eat fish - in a spiritual sense - so would you continue to each fish? Leviticus mentions shellfish as being an abomination - but like i said, have to sift through all that stuff and decide what will and won't work for you. From an atheist perspective - less meat = better health = better sense of self and clear mind. So I'd say go for it. Its not like you're hurting anybody, worse thing that'll happen is you'll save some money on groceries.

Thanks for your input timestamp. I am a bit thick, so maybe you will explain what "transubstantiation" is?

Although what different Religious thinkers throughout the ages say facinates me, I guess I am coming at my diet from a sense of right and wrong for the creatures we share the planet with. I own a pet dog and I often think the choice I make to eat other animals makes me a bit of a hypocrate.

People have said to me human beings are top of the food train and that makes it alright to eat whatever we like, but I think that kind of attitude would make lots of actions that are cruel right and somehow, in the presence of animals in their natural habitat I feel humbled, not god-like.

Thanks for your input timestamp. I am a bit thick, so maybe you will explain what "transubstantiation" is?

Although what different Religious thinkers throughout the ages say facinates me, I guess I am coming at my diet from a sense of right and wrong for the creatures we share the planet with. I own a pet dog and I often think the choice I make to eat other animals makes me a bit of a hypocrate.

People have said to me human beings are top of the food train and that makes it alright to eat whatever we like, but I think that kind of attitude would make lots of actions that are cruel right and somehow, in the presence of animals in their natural habitat I feel humbled, not god-like.

Well i commend you in giving some thought to your actions, after all isn't that the essence of the human condition? I've had the same thoughts that you describe. Tough call though - in its extreme form there are Buddhist stories of self sacrifice to animals so that the animal could survive on the other end there is the invention of meat on a stick. Transubstantiation - and I'll probably get some of this wrong - was the concern w/ how food impacted the physical body and ultimately the soul. It directly relates diet w/ your soul. It is a pretty interesting topic. Milton addresses the topic in paradise lost. I'd say if you think you wouldn't be able to kill and prep the animal you are eating then maybe don't eat it.

Well dutchie, lots of different things but just this week I happened to switch channels of tv and came across a chef preparing a "suckling pig" I had to switch off and the image is stuck inside my head.:hmm:

You should do it for yourself .....Ignore why it should be done or not.The most important thing is what you want to do..

Edited by BrianPotter

I am thinking of giving up eating meat.I would really appreciate some feedback... the pros and cons in a Spiritual context, not necessarily for health reasons.Please share your thoughts. Much appreciated.

Well I think its good to have as part of a healthy balanced diet, our ancestors were omnivores and our bodies have adaptions to eating meat. Ethically speaking, rather than just giving it up I would look to how the animals are raised because animal welfare can differ greatly between countries. Like in Northern Ireland and the Republic animals have very good welfare standards, with beef and lamb being grass fed, no growth hormones. If anything I feel that it would be most ethical to support where animal welfare is high.

yes and no - we derive from monkeys who are known to be herbivores engaging in only instances of carnivorous behavior. Research indicates that our early ancestors relied mostly on the kills of other animals like a hyena or vulture. So as far as our ancestors go we depended primarily on veggies - its only very recently that meat arrives as a mainstay for humans - even then as Mr. Walker correctly points out, most of the world does not consume meat in vast amounts simply b/c it can be an expensive commodity.

Eating meat is the reason why we evolved into humans, we'd have not survived the ice age without it nor colonized areas of the world where plant life is seasonable,

Well I think its good to have as part of a healthy balanced diet, our ancestors were omnivores and our bodies have adaptions to eating meat. Ethically speaking, rather than just giving it up I would look to how the animals are raised because animal welfare can differ greatly between countries. Like in Northern Ireland and the Republic animals have very good welfare standards, with beef and lamb being grass fed, no growth hormones. If anything I feel that it would be most ethical to support where animal welfare is high.

I agree.

Eating meat is the reason why we evolved into humans, we'd have not survived the ice age without it nor colonized areas of the world where plant life is seasonable,

not really - the ice age is not a very big definable point in human evolution - walking upright etc - these were skill developed well before the ice age and in an environment that more closely represented grasslands. You're talking about surviving environmental change as opposed to the actual stages of evolution. Evolution involved the way our skull was structured, walking upright, as well as many other physical attributes that were already established when the ice age hit. The ability to eat meat did allow us to survive the ice age but it had little to nothing to do with actual evolution which is what I was addressing. The major stages of evolution of humans from monkey to something prototypical of current day humans had already undergone a tremendous amount of change. Besides eating what was necessary to survive because of environmental crisis does not mean that it is something that should be continued, esp. since it was a mere blip in to totality of human existence.

I take it that you felt 'squeamish' seeing the suckling pig prepared for food, and now are considering giving up meat for ethical reasons?

I am not your conscience, Misty, but I do have an opinion regarding the above. If you felt upset over the preparation of suckling pig, then the simple solution is not to buy/eat suckling pig. If you feel upset over farming in general, then it is your prerogative to not buy farmed animal meat. I would recommend you investigate how to maintain a complete balanced intake of vitamins and minerals without consuming meat, however.

There really is no 'ethical argument' about whether to eat, or not eat, meat. It is purely a matter of personal conscience.

On a side note, I would be interested to see a study correlating the rise in vegetarianism with our anthropomorphisation of animals in film, tv and books. I suspect there is a causal relationship between the two.

Check which farm the meat came from and make sure you only eat happy animals.